LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PhysX and whether to include it

mobilenvidia

Been thinking about this for sometime now.

I've decided to NOT include the PhysX driver with the Forceware driver.

I've noticed of late we are hosting newer PhysX driver than nVIDIA is including with their drivers.

What is happening, I have to include 35MB driver 4x, once for each driver version.

We also already have the PhysX driver separately often before official nVIDIA release

So now in the driver posts from 181.22 you will see a link to the PhysX driver beside the modded INF download.

Once PhysX installed it stays installed, when you upgrade to a newer forceware you just grab the driver of choice.

If a newer PhysX driver comes out just download and install it.

Or copy the PhysX driver into the forceware directory and the installer automatically install it.

No need to download huge files, just download what you need.

Have a look at 181..22 and/or 179.32 to see how it looks/works and any issues let us know.

Seems sensible to me, but is there any sort of issue of nVidia making them so that X version of physx is works better with y driver? If so you I guess could just list what version of physx was stripped from the driver when you post them.

Right thing to do.

We will download lesser sized driver (easy for you to upload and for us to download) and if we want, we can always download the newest physx from the site anyway.

Thank you.

I agree that the driver downloads shouldn't have PhysX bundled with them.

Good to see a link by the side of them instead. :)

Agree with maybe mentioning what PhysX version that was bundled with each, just in case of compatibility isssues.

i like this, its a good idea. smaller download size, and we can update physX on our own speed... good going :)

I'll also have to throw in a vote for including the version number of the PhysX driver that was originally bundled with the specific ForceWare driver (if not too much of a hassle, of course). Just in case they are matching them or something. I mean, physx is using CUDA now for it's code, right? And I know they mention updates to CUDA in release notes for the Forceware. So maybe they should be going hand in hand. Idk, just my few cents worth.

I've got a 6 series in my alienware lappy so I stopped at the alienware 179 release. My desktop 8800 sees drivers right from NV's site so I just get the bundle and am done with it.

But thanks for the continuing hard work on making this world a better place for NV owners! :)

Dis-connecting physX from drivers, and adding a comment about which version shipped with the driver seems like the way to go. Perhaps some of our more adventurous members could mix and match physX with different drives and let us other mortals know when and if you find a perfect mix :)

Must agree these opinions - seems futile to download PhysX again and again.

That went down well then :)

I should be able to add a comment on which PhysX version it came with or at all.

That went down well then :)

I should be able to add a comment on which PhysX version it came with or at all.

I totally agree on your sensible and intelligent approach. I just installed the new physx 9.x.x driver and it installed independently from the dox driver (as far as I noticed).

Great, I have PhysX disabled most of the time anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Good idea :) , and we can update physX on our own speed :)

Edited by radixxx