LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 Beta Driver Problems

crazywafers

?Sager NP5760

?GeForce Go 7900 GTX

?Standard VGA

?Version from Windows Update worked for a few days, albeit with much resolution flickering, but has stopped working completely

?Windows 7 Beta, Build 7000

After installing the Windows 7 beta, I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from Windows Update. Although they worked, I would have to go into the NVIDIA control panel and set it as only having one monitor, and then set the laptop monitor as the primary monitor. Windows 7 thought I had a dual monitor setup after each reboot/sleep. After a couple of days, I started getting a black screen after waking the laptop from sleeping. I would have to do a hard shut down to actually be able to use the laptop. Here in the last 48 hours or so, the driver has stopped working completely. I get a black screen after the Windows 7 "starting windows" splash. I have tried several Vista drivers from this site, all with the same result. If I roll back the driver to the standard VGA drivers, it works fine, but I would much rather be able to use my native resolution than 1280x1024. I'm posting from Safe Mode right now, and since I can't use the actual GeForce Go 7900GTX drivers, I can't provide any other information. Any ideas?

?Sager NP5760

?GeForce Go 7900 GTX

?Standard VGA

?Version from Windows Update worked for a few days, albeit with much resolution flickering, but has stopped working completely

?Windows 7 Beta, Build 7000

After installing the Windows 7 beta, I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from Windows Update. Although they worked, I would have to go into the NVIDIA control panel and set it as only having one monitor, and then set the laptop monitor as the primary monitor. Windows 7 thought I had a dual monitor setup after each reboot/sleep. After a couple of days, I started getting a black screen after waking the laptop from sleeping. I would have to do a hard shut down to actually be able to use the laptop. Here in the last 48 hours or so, the driver has stopped working completely. I get a black screen after the Windows 7 "starting windows" splash. I have tried several Vista drivers from this site, all with the same result. If I roll back the driver to the standard VGA drivers, it works fine, but I would much rather be able to use my native resolution than 1280x1024. I'm posting from Safe Mode right now, and since I can't use the actual GeForce Go 7900GTX drivers, I can't provide any other information. Any ideas?

Try uninstalling the driver, use a driver cleaner, then get 179.29 with a modded inf from this site. 179.29 works well on my laptop for both x32 and x64 of W7

Try uninstalling the driver, use a driver cleaner, then get 179.29 with a modded inf from this site. 179.29 works well on my laptop for both x32 and x64 of W7

Same result. I really don't know what's going on. It's looking like I'll have to go back to XP.

I will also add that artifacting has started to occur on the Sager boot screen and the blank screen just before the "Starting Windows" screen. However, there are no artifacts on that screen or after boot in Windows (of course, with standard VGA drivers/safe mode). That fact is really starting to worry me, as that almost assures that there is a hardware problem. I can't use any temperature/fan speed detection programs because they do not pick up anything without the actual NVIDIA drivers, which I cannot use at all. Is my GPU doomed?