LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Very unstable framerates 9600M GT

RBMaurice

Heya guyes,

I have been visiting this site a lot ever since I got my HP DV7-1090ed last August, in there is a 9600M GT graphics card. Although I know laptops in the first place arent really made for gaming I keep having a very strange problem which I dont seem to be able to solve. I have tried clean installations, new drivers, other performance settings but in the end it always keeps stuttering in every 3D game.

For example I really try to play CoD IV, it doesnt matter which resolutions and detail levels I choose, the framerate in numbers is always good but when you start running it looks like it's a sort of stutter, I mean I know the difference between the slideshow effect of low FPS but this doesnt seem like a slideshow, I mean its like the first 5m's it runs fluid, than 5m's it seems a bit slowmotion and than again it runs normal again and so on. And its the same for all games although in FPS and racing games you get annoyed more than in a strategy game. But its the same story on 640x480 on low with AA and AF off, with vsync on and off as on 1440x900 with highest detail level and AA@4x and AF@16x which gives me the feeling the problem isnt in the framerate itself.

I tried installing XP to solve the problems but that didnt help aside of the fact that XP didnt really like my BD drive. I have tried other drivers which tended to give a slight improvement but those somehow didnt support the PureVideo capabilities of my HP which made QuickPlay unusable, but overall it hasnt been away at all otherwise I would stick with the fluid gameplay rather than my HD Video hardware acceleration.

I just wonder how much of a pain the 512mb GDDR2 video memory is in comparasion to the GDDR3 which the 9600M GT normally ships with, but the rest of my hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 and 4GB DDR2(usable 3,2 gb because of 32-bit) shouldnt cause any problem really right?

Anybody knows this kinds of problems? :)

Kind regards,

Maurice

Hello!

My problem was the same with my HP DV5 (P8600, NV9600M GT). The graphic card is getting hotter and hotter if you playing games. It reach is 98degrees, in this time the speed of the card will be less (from 500MHz to 400MHz). Then it set back the original speed. It repeats 5 second-time.

Take it to the official HP service.

Bye!

Sounds pretty logical to me, but it already starts as soon as I start up the game, aside of that my mainboard has already been replaced twice(and the mainboard basicly is the whole laptop) and the problem has always been the same...

I have checked it and they dont go above 75 after a full hour of gaming :)

Bump

for very similar problem justice.

It seems to be a very personal problem, as some other people with similar specs(and DDR2 VRAM) dont seem to got these problems, but in either case it has to do either something with the drivers or the hardware. As a clean Windows doesnt seem to make any difference at all :)

Try changing your pre-rendered frames in the nvidia control panel to one.

Is there a hardware cursor or similar mouse options in the game?

Do you defrag your laptop?

Is your game patched up to date?

I have tried all pre-rendered frames settings already, it does slightly help but not a lot. It doesnt take away the feeling of unfluid gameplay.

What you mean with hardware cursor?

Yes.

It happens with all games, wheter it's recent or not.

Edited by RBMaurice

Guest Guest JP

try 177xx drivers... I have this exact same problem..., but ONLY with 180xx drivers! It could be a powermizer issue on your system, however (not on mine as I verified the gpu clocks while playing).

Guest nismo91

i am also using an GeForce 9600M GT

so far have no serious issues yet, only with Flatout:UC some texture is missing when 3D settings is on normal / high quality mode. i can only suggest you to try new official driver at nvidia.com cause im currently using it and it has no problem (beside after installation, my WLAN device is need to be reinstalled). modded inf are also available in this site.

i am running pretty similar system like you, and after loads of gaming it can get to 80*C. of course i'd recommend lowering air-con temp and using laptop fan cooler.

mine is acer 5930, Intel P8600, 4GB DDR2, 9600M GT 512 DDR3, Vista HP 32bit

I think its a powermizer issue. I have an ASPIRE 8930G with 9600gt. I noticed game frame rates slowing down abnormally after a while or when there was a lot of things going on. I checked temps and it seemed the GPU would never go over 70. Even a very little powerful game like nhl 09 was slowing down and stuttering then going super fast. So i am running dox latest driver and i ran powermizer switch off on ac power. And now my frame rates are stable and fluid and only slow down when they should like lots of action or very high settings. And my temperatures go over 70 now, last time i check it was 75 with a game of flatout uc. So powermizer must have been slowing down my video card clock to a certain temp. It doesnt seem dangerous so far with it off. I havent verified that this was the issue by checking the clock speeds but I am pretty sure it was...