LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sager D901C questions.

anassa

Ok, so I just got a Sager D901C, i got it super cheap because it has a broken screen but it works fine. I have some questions, it currently has a E6600 CPU, Geforce go 7950GTX GPU, 4G RAM. I have have seached and see that people have quad cores installed, and like 8800GTX or 9800GTX cards. Would I be able to upgrade my processor or graphic card to those specs?

If there is any more info I can provide to help you guys decide if my model can take it or not please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

If its a model that old you are supposed to need a new motherboard to use the new GPUs. (its an EDID issue, and it may be possible to use the new GPUs with the old boards, but I haven't seen anyone do it)

The EDID issue is nvidia changing some MXM interface thing with the newer 8xxx/9xxx models.

As for the CPU, you should be able to plop the new ones in with a BIOS upgrade. (at least a Q6600/Q6700)

You can probably get a new 1920x1200 LCD for under $300 if you shop around. It shouldn't be hard to install.

You should stop by these forums though. You will find lots of useful info/people there.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1017

If you are short on cash I would recommend a single 9800M GT (or its replacement whenever it releases) and a Q6600 (~$180 or less).

You can overclock the Q6600 to 3 GHz stable on this machine.

I don't want to clog up that D901C owners thread, but do the 177.92 drivers work for you to remove the full screen video stuttering?

I've had video stuttering with a few drivers but these are good.

You should try some of dox's drivers.