LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WoW with XP32bit Go 7600 card..which driver is best?

suttercane

My laptop started freezing up pretty badly recently when playing WoW. Basically it would run for about 20 minutes, get real hot, the frame rate would drop to about 5 fps and then the whole screen would freeze. It was recommended that I update the graphics card driver, but HP never added any updates all the way back from 8/2006. I received an error code that said nv4_dll so I researched the code and found your website. Basically you guys are awesome and I thank you for what you do. I downloaded the modded 156.73 for xp32bit and it definately helped the problem. My computer is a DV9040us HP with XP and 2gb of ram. It has a Go7600 card with dedicated memory. Do you think that v156.73 is optimal for my computer or is there a better recommendation? The framerate was improved but some textures look a bit choppy. Thanks again for the assistance.

Do I have to uninstall my driver before I try out the Dox optimized version, or will it overwrite it if I do not?

Such an old driver is probably so differently built that it leaves remnants if just overwritten. Best to uninstall and use driver sweeper before installing a new driver.

I tried 179.28 and the game froze again. I tried the DOX 181.20 but I could not get that to work at all. I may have installed it wrong. I did remove the driver that I had installed prior before installing the Dox Optimized version. Any ideas?

Seems like a heat issue. Make sure to no obstruct ventilation with anything, verify dust in the lappy too. Always play games on a plane surface.. etc. If it's no help, I don't have anymore idea.. :/