LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware 181.22

Dox

Dox, I love you!

Not only your drivers solved my BluRay playback problem but it also added an amazing speed on my games! This is awesome! Thank you very much.

The only real problem (if it is a problem) is not supporting recover from Sleep mode, but you warned us about it. I've never really used Sleep until I got a laptop, haha, never really had to use it. I thought the Sleep recover was something supposed to be supported by the binaries, not by inf or registry configuration. But that's not really a problem. I've set Windows to use Hibernation instead and since that is a power down feature there is not a problem. :)

Really, thank you for your great work on these drivers Dox! :)

Edited by Rash

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dox

• zipper

• Kestol

• vlank

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi to all the LAPTOPVIDEO2GO community, i have a big problem with my DELL XPS M1530 (geforce 8600m GT), it keeps shuting down whenever i play FEAR 2 at medium settings, highest res., fssa 4x, anisotropic 8x, temperatures by everest say gpu is at 78 -80 max, the laptop is on a clean surface, cpus are working under 70-77 too at full use, i just installed DOX 181.22.1 drivers and i have this problem, dunno if its a driver prob or is just a hardware prob, temps seem ok if we consider there are ppl that overclock this GPU and get temps above 90° and it doesnt shut down, so, any help will be deeply appreciated, i could change the driver to see if that was the prob but i do like very much these drivers cuz of the extra performance it gives, ohh i have to say also that i installed it choosing the option "performance", so again, any help will be appreciated guys...

By the way, i have like 4 or 5 months with this laptop, i just used it couple of times, my father did use it for autocad purposes and i think he never had this issue before, also i used to play quake 4 at full settings and all came up nice n easy, only when i tried to overclock it with rivatuner working with autocad it kept shutting down so i decided to leave it as fabric defaults and uninstall rivatuner.

Also i have to say that (if the videocard is on the left side where my left hand stands when i start to write text) i hear a strange "clak clik" rarely, could be the video card but i dunno why it is..., maybe a graphic card fabric problem? i had this clak clik the first time i started to work with graphics and overclock, now i dont hv rivatuner anymore... pls help me around, i need to settle things before school starts going on final projects... thx in advance.

Edited by vlank

Hey vlank, as for the shut down problem, did you do a clean driver install? If you didn't, try it and see if that helps anything (use the search feature of LV2G, to find a thread explaining how to do clean install, it's pretty easy). If the clean driver installation doesn't fix the problem try and install the driver 181.22.1 on the "balanced" option, maybe the "performance" option might be causing the problem. Hope that helps! (If nothing else works try Nvidia drivers 179.48, they're pretty impressive for un-optimised drivers)

As for the "clak clik" sound, I don't think it is coming from the GPU. If you hear the sound "on the left side where my left hand stands when i start to write text" it is probably coming from the hard drive. It is the sound the hard drive makes when the spinning head mechanism is parking (or something like that). If it's that, it's nothing serious, my M1530 makes the noise once in a while. If you are bothered by the sound go to this link NBR Hard drive Clicking noise help, SKIM through it and learn about how to temporarily fix the problem. Otherwise the sound is just amplified by the enclosure of the M1530, and isn't usually that loud/non-existent in other laptops. But again it's not really a problem if it's coming from the HDD. Hope that helps!

P.S. I was scared out of my boxers when I played the FEAR 2 demo, that I didn't even finish it. I'm not good with the horror gaming genre. You got cojones.

"P.S. I was scared out of my boxers when I played the FEAR 2 demo, that I didn't even finish it. I'm not good with the horror gaming genre. You got cojones. "

LOL...

Thx 4 ur fast response :) , i was really concerned about the clicking noise that may have come from the gpu but u proved me wrong :) , anyways im changing it for a 7200 rpm soon so no problem with it, as for the driver thing, well, i changed to the DOX 181.20 ones and did a couple of stress tests (like putting FEAR 2 at MAX settings and max resolution), doing ctrl + escape, editing some photos, running geoforms from nvidia (stresses out pretty much the gpu at high or max settings), and doing some other stuff, i got temps for about 72 - 76°, i did this just once so i cannot garantee im without probs... ohh yeah, i did have an error msje reffering to the memory, that it cannot be written or something like that, but i thought it was normal due to the stressing i was making (i should buy a two or three pair of gb with 800 mhz), and what did surprised me was that i got couple of more fps with this driver than with the 181.22.1 from DOX, so if u tell me im really happy with this results so far, i did tried the latest 185.XXX drivers from DOX but nvidia CP was missing and i really use some options from it like nvidia digital vibrance and so, and i dont care that much the sleep prob, but for that it didnt worked for me, but if u can recommend me any other modified driver that u find interesting that will be appreciated...

Thx for the help again!

Edited by vlank

Hey again!, i have couple of updates to add, first of all ive uninstalled the DOX drivers and finally installed the 179.48 one, done a couple of stress tests and temps reached 85°!!, and it didnt shutdown so, that seems like a nice beggining, also i need to say to you "E.D.U" (since u hv the same lap as i do) couple of days ago i flashed BIOS to the latest "A12" version at dell´s site, and i have been having rarely some touchpad probs like lagging of the pointer, is not as responsive as it was, also i updated the "upek" controller for that matter, but im still having probs with this, rarely, but still...

im rolling back to the orig. drivers at dell´s of the upek controller and if that doesnt solve the prob im rolling back the BIOS to the "A11" one, any comments are welcome!

I don't blame you for laughing at me for the FEAR 2 thing, the horror genre's my kryptonite...

Ok. So a Seagate 7200 rpm HDD (200gb) is actually what I have in my computer right now, so the HDD change might not fully resolve the "click clak" issue, but I believe that it will make it better. We'll see about that... It sounds like DOX 181.20 is the best driver that you have tested on your laptop so far, so why not stick with them. Or did they shut down your computer like the 181.22.1? I also think that DOX himself has recommended his 181/180 drivers over the 185s, but he really only modded the 185s because people might like the higher driver number (or it might be better for some other people!!?)

As for the 179.48 and your slightly high temp. problems, that just proves that not all laptops are the same even if they're the same laptop brand and model (even same configuration sometimes). On my laptop with the 179.48, I usually idle between 56 and 65 degrees C and on load I hit 78 degrees C max, without fan (73-75 degrees C, with fan). I also get pretty good FPS while gaming, so no complaints. However if I use DOX's drivers my temp's are a little higher (which is expected). So my situation is the opposite of yours really. Funny, huh? But I suggest that you stick with the DOX 181.20 if they don't shutdown your laptop, keep your temps low enough, and give you the best framerates in games, editing, and video playback. At this level of optimisation not many other drivers are going to increase your frames too much more in game.

I currently have the A12 bios version and don't really experience any problems with it. So, Idk what is wrong there. As for my upek, I have version 5.6.2 for the finger print software, try and go to the manufacturers site and download from there.

Also for the HDD, try and get the new 500gb 7200 rpm, if you still have the choice, as it's not too expensive and should be quite beastly for speed/size. HDD link Though it seems hard to get at the moment... Anyway hope this helps!

P.S. Sorry Dox, for filling your thread with all these long messages. :) I write too much....

Edited by E.D.U.

P.S. Sorry Dox, for filling your thread with all these long messages. :) I write too much....

I think this is pretty good for ppl who are having these kind of trouble with their laps even if they arent xps or even the same model, so i expect DOX to thank us at least on his mind :unsure: , also i have to say this are hell of a drivers, impressive job dox, best in class that ive tested so far...

As for the DOX 180.20 drivers they did shutdown my xps again when the temps got like 79-80°, but i didnt tested the "balanced" option anyway... so theres a chance there to test them...

As for the temps i usually get the same as urs, 52-55 on idle, 75-78 at full on a clean surface, 80-82 on a kinda blocked place, my legs, etc, so we are getting similar temps there (on all 3 drivers ive tested, minor variations), also i have to say that the click clak sound is not a thing that bothers me that much, its rarely when it happens so, if i get to change my hard drive it would be only for the extra performance there :) , also for the memories (2 gigs for start at 800 mhz).

ive changed for the alps pointing one from dell´s site and seem pretty good, especially for the wide range of options i have now, also thx for telling me about ur exp. with A12 bios update, i was kinda concerned about it, so at the end, u recommend me using the "balanced" option on the 181.22 or .20 ones to check if theres a diff.? would u say theres a big diff on framerates and performance on the 179´s than this DOX ones? thx again for ur help bro :P

Yea, Vlank, I recommend that you try out those two drivers (181.22 or .20) on balanced to see if it helps the shut down problem. In terms of difference in framerates and performance in the 181.22 or .20 versus the 179's, i think it would be minimal. I think Nvidia did a pretty good job on the 179.48 (179s) though they could still do better. What people have to understand about DOX drivers (I think) is that they make the lower framerates run noticeably smoother than with the 179s.

So if the framerates are slower for a certain game (by looking at FRAPS), it is still playable with DOX drivers, which is pretty impressive. The framerates might be slightly better with Dox's too, but not by too much. I like the 179s because, for some reason, on my laptop they seem to work almost as well as DOX's in gaming, they're "official" (i'm an official type of guy, :) ), and, most importantly, my temps. are kept lower with the 179s. DOX drivers are really good though, and are best for gaming. You're welcome with the help bro.

I love it when the community comes together :)

Ok then, we are going the same way i guess, well stick with 179´s cuz of the temps...

Im understanding here that if i want full power going on in my games i must put my xps lappy over a clear surface, on a nice air flowing area without any kind of blocking happening (when playing heavy games) so it doesnt shutdown (cuz even with the 179´s ive experienced this) but my temps reached a new level of 88-90° (or a little more), cuz i was gaming at my bed and, well, no air flowing there was happening XD, so i pretty much overheated it...

by the way i use "everest" to measure my temps all the time (it places little icons on the taskbar) and now on "idle" i have this:

-cpu voltage - 1.3

-hdd temp - 35°

-gpu - 57-58°

-and for the cpus i have 51-52°

ill stick with these drivers cuz they mantain my temps and have a wide range of possibilities that it doesnt shutdown while playing (not as easy as DOX one´s),

what really bothers me is that i know ppl that overclock xps laptops (m1530 most cases), get temps around 90-98 and still their systems wont shutdown (explode!...), so im lost there, but anyway, im happy with this results ive got so far...

Have a nice day!

ps: i have a wild guess that the new a12 bios for xps lap´s are limiting their temp damage by shutting down machines that overpass certain values or they changed the algorythm for the fan control or something...

Edited by vlank

Dox, I have some questions regarding PhysX. I've found some information from you on another post, however I've never found that post again.

OK, first. I know you don't include PhysX software. In that case, what's the best PhysX software I can install on my system with your driver? The reason I am asking is because the official NV drivers already include the PhysX software at some version. Does the PhysX software version included in the official drivers have to match the driver's version? If so, what's the PhysX version recommended for your driver? If not, than can I install this software from NVIDIA? -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0203_whql.html

Well, second question would be: does the PhysX option on the Control Panel for your driver work? I mean, if I have the PhysX software installed alright, does the option on the CC have any effect enabling or disabling PhysX? Or is PhysX on your driver always enabled (if software installed) or disabled no matter what the option on the CC say?

Finally, if I might suggest you include some PhysX questions on you FAQ it may help some lost souls like me. :)

Thank you.

Guest Guest

Ive got some good news guys, i finally talked to one guy at dells and told me to disconnect the AC adapter from the wall and check the 3 point socket, i cleaned it with compressed air, plugged in again until it clicked, connected to my lappy again and VOILA!, no more shutdowns, that was the prob in the first place, i dont know why but even if the battery was fully charged it keeped happening... so i got my prob solved finally, ive also UNDERVOLTED my T5750 cpu to (.09500) (thats all the way down through the rm clock options), this can only be done with this proc. and some others that arent that new, and now i also have some killah temps, when playing heavy games i get around 65-69° from cpu, i also overclocked my 8600m gt using the DOX 181.22.1 drivers to 700-930 mhz, and i reach 75° max temps, so if u ask me im pretty happy right now, i have overclocked this guy almost 50% of their stock values, and ive put at maximal performance both cpus, so i have full power going on all the time (no multiplier happening), right now i have 45° on idle and 55° on gpu, so im pretty damn happy!, thx for all ur help guys, ive installed this drivers cuz ive found this are the best ones so far from DOX, :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SunderX

Hi, I've been getting horrific performance out of my GeForce 8600M GT for my Dell Vostro 1500 for a while now, so someone pointed me towards your optimised drivers.

Problem is, I can't seem to download anything from the links you have up, any chance you can post a mirror or something? (Rapidshare works well). I'm in Shanghai at the moment, which might figure into the problem, or the servers might just not be up.

I also play most games in 1280x800 or 1400x900 resolution, are these supported?

Cheers

Yuan

they are supported the resolutions.

Download my version 182.46 instead.

Guest SunderX

Hey,

As a heads up, I got a friend in the UK to try the download links here as well, and they don't appear to work. Maybe the server is offline or something?

Guest SunderX

Thanks for putting up the mirrors! The driver seems to run well, but for some reason very hot, stress running temp is round 90 without overclocking.

Something weird that you probably can't fix also - I realised that when my laptop goes into screensaver it's running the gfx card at full blast, causing my keyboard to bake.

Cheers

does this install for 9500M GS correctly without giving any error????