LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I know what I'm getting for Xmas

Bill

Clevo finally spilled the beans on the D90XF.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=348239 (Here is the Eurocom announcement)

However due to the work involved cramming it all in to the laptop it will take a few months longer to launch it.

I may try to sell my D901C for one of these.

We think it will have multiple Esata ports, audio enabled HDMI port(s) (possibility of 4 monitors), an updated audio chipset (Realtek 888?), and we know it will have the new graphics cards available.

Did they try to include a battery or do you only need your own, transportable Nuclear?

I'd like to have one as well, but its gonna blow the bank balance either that or I'll have to sell my motorbike :)

I cant even imagine the price

You should be able to get one with 4 GB RAM, 3x500 GB hard drives in a RAID0, and a single G280 for under $4000.

Its also interesting about the price in Russia via ebay sellers. Well, i will wait and see. Its gonna be a cool DTR-solution, just like my 9920g one and half years ago :)

How do you spend $5k on one of those laptops?

You should only be spending that much on like a D901C maxed out.

As for upgrading, maybe you can mobo swap with the replacement model of your current laptop.

But if you wanted to upgrade to the D90xF, you'll have to sell your current laptop.

I was thinking of the Asus W90 but it has some last gen parts.

this monster is cutting edge (currently), this is defintely on my watch list.

Might be in a minority here, but personally I wouldn't buy a 'laptop' that doesn't have a mobile class CPU and has lots of heavy hard drives in it.

Would rather upgrade my quad desktop to an i7, and get a x9300 equivalent to replace my laptop eventually.

Pay too heavy a premium for having desktop parts bunched together with mobile graphics and a screen attached.

I'd want something that was more portable, the battery lasted more than 2 seconds, and still had similar performance.

These laptops are more portable than any portable desktop you could ever build, the hard drives aren't that heavy and are worth their weight in space/RAID0 performance.

The only real desktop part is the quad CPU. These are cheaper and much faster than any mobile dual or quad core. Also these laptops can get 1-2 hours battery life off a single battery.

Yeah I see the appeal, and I certainly wouldn't say no to one, but I think it's missing the point of the difference between a laptop and a desktop.

If it were your sole machine then it's a great idea, but in then end it's not as good as a desktop, and not as portable or energy efficient as a laptop.

I like my laptops to be laptops. :-)

Still a great piece of kit, if it doesn't break the bank and your back.

This is called DTR aka Desktop Replacement... raw power and kind of mobility in one. Like the Toshiba 520x back in the days (2002/3)

Just like the current laptop quads, those will probably be vastly inferior to the current core i7s.