LaptopVideo2Go Forums

replce copper mod with aluminium mod

boon

hey guys,

Recently, I am planning to do copper mod on my XPS 1530. However, i am facing problem in getting copper sheet because it is too expensive. they only sell it in large piece of copper and i only need to small amount from it.

As a result, i want to replace the copper sheet with aluminum sheet. But i am worrying about the unpredictable problem.Below is my worry:

1) The copper heatsink is connected directly onto the GPU. There is just thermal grease between GPU and copper heatsink. Not thermal pad. So if i placing the aluminum between GPU and copper heatsink, does it decrease the thermal conductivity? It is because the originally the GPU is directly connected to copper surface of heatsink. If i added aluminium betwwen the copper and GPU, the GPU will contact will aluminium surface. So i worry that it will decrease the thermal condutivity since aluminium has smaller conductivity compared to copper.

2)Is there any air gap between heatsink and GPU since there is only thermal grease between them? Is thermal conduction will become better if i add aluminum between heatsink and GPU?

thank in advance.

don't use aluminum, if you do, it is best if you can mold it to the copper to reduce layering. use thermal pads are probably better then aluminum in this case

o wow dude, if you do this copper mod is there any chance you could take some pics during the process?? i also own a m1530 and would be very interested in seeing how you did it...

o wow dude, if you do this copper mod is there any chance you could take some pics during the process?? i also own a m1530 and would be very interested in seeing how you did it...

sorry guy, i cannt find the copper sheet yet so i haven't do the copper mod ye. Just planning to use aluminum but the Morris said the aluminum is not a choice...

How hard did you even look?

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&e...sa=N&tab=wf

Here is some for cheap.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXAFV9&P=FR

A plumber could probably sell you some to I think.

People used to buy copper from plumbers to do laptop mods around here a few years ago.

There is a topic somewhere where someone did this but I'm scared to look for it as its so old I may not be able to find it. (if it still exists)

Edit: It wasn't a topic, thats why I couldn't find it at first.

http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm

Hey boon, I see you're still having problems.

Now that you know that your GPU is not suffering from a thermal pad you should definitely FORGET ANY COPPER or ALUMINUM MODS!

Just stick with a simple replacement of whatever thermal grease Dell may have used, and don't be tempted to make a nice thick layer.

Adding another sheet of metal between your heat source and the heat sink doesn't make any sense at all --- DON'T DO IT! You will make things worse. With that 2-arm casting of yours which holds the heat sinks for all 3 chips, any additional height you would introduce between the GPU and heat sink would be fatal, and probably break the casting under pressure.

Hey boon, I see you're still having problems.

Now that you know that your GPU is not suffering from a thermal pad you should definitely FORGET ANY COPPER or ALUMINUM MODS!

Just stick with a simple replacement of whatever thermal grease Dell may have used, and don't be tempted to make a nice thick layer.

Adding another sheet of metal between your heat source and the heat sink doesn't make any sense at all --- DON'T DO IT! You will make things worse. With that 2-arm casting of yours which holds the heat sinks for all 3 chips, any additional height you would introduce between the GPU and heat sink would be fatal, and probably break the casting under pressure.

hmm... i see your point...so i decided not to do the copper mod ...

Yesterday, i apply an new thermal grease which is tuniq tx-2.

1)When playing need for speed for carbon with all at high setting,

Before i apply new thermal grease:

GPU 79 degree celcius at peak(without overclock GPU and underclock CPU)

After i apply new thermal grease:

GPU 78 degree celcius at peak(without overclock GPU and underclock CPu).

2) After i run 3D mark 06,

Before apply new thermal grease:74 degree celcius at peak(without overclock GPU and no undervolt CPU)

after apply new thermal grease:73 degree celcius at peak(Without overclock GPU and no undervolt CPU)

From the result, there is only 1 degree difference between before and after i apply new thermal grease.

As a result, i am wondering i make some mistake when i applying new grease. It is because tuniq tx-2 is a good thermal grease compared to artic silver 5.

Note: my processor is core 2 duo 2.4GHz.

So my question is the decrease in temperature like this make sense?

Thank in advance.

Edited by boon

haha yeah it does, at least for me. i got a 2-3c difference using arctic silver on my second gpu, which was also defective like my first one...

Thermal paste usually takes a few days to "cure" so after a day or two your temps might get better.

First post, thought I'd use it to help out:

The amount of compression on a heatsink has little effect on its conductivity. While it's true that air is one of the worst thermal conductors, there is little possibility of a gap with thermal grease or a pad.

Back in the day, the popular technique for improving heatsinks was lapping -- sanding the heatsink to a perfect finish. Most manufacturers have switched to CNC production, which eliminates the need... although, I do run into the occasional heatsink that isn't smooth. This would be the place to start. After that, get some Arctic Silver and you should be good to go.

Another mod worth considering would be replacing the fan with one with a higher CFM rating.

true about the curing, i think it actually said up to 60 days to fully cure, i had it for about 3 weeks and the temps really didnt change though.

as for fan replacement in the m1530, i really dont see how its possible with the set up. the heatsink is attached to the fan so yeah...

as for fan replacement in the m1530, i really dont see how its possible with the set up. the heatsink is attached to the fan so yeah...

The heatsink is always attached to the fan.

It's not as hard as it seems, even if the fan were larger, considering there are many angles in which it can be tackled:

+ Replace the fan blades -- will licit some CFM improvement, at the cost of working the motor a little more.

+ Replace the motor and blades -- allows a larger fan to fit in current housing.

+ Create a shim to adapt a larger fan to a smaller heatsink.

Not to mention, when there's nothing to screw into, you have hot glue.

Edited by teqguy