LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking 8600M GT

Codyksp

I have recently been busy overclocking this card, and updating every time DOX had a new driver.

Currently I have these 3DMark06 scores and clock speeds, I'm not sure if I can push it more... The memory does not seem to want to go higher or it will crash. And for some reason RivaTuner only changes the clockspeeds in big jumps?? Look at what I set it to, and what it actually equals.

I have to bring it down to 550/1100 before I see a change, and then it changes to 594/1188.

It hits 71 degrees max during 3DMark06 with these speeds.

P.S. my resolution is 1440x900 but I left 3DMark06 on the standard settings. I shouldn't change it, should I?

w74v68o2.png

Edited by Codyksp

I score on my laptop, which is pretty similar to yours a bit over 5000 3DMarks - clocks 625/1600/450, same drivers and temperatures at similar level

Here is my softmodded 8600m gt 512 mb ddr2 resultpost-29290-1234103587_thumb.jpg

Well I am very confused.... RivaTuner Monitor shows 648/1296/450. But it also shows the clocks are set to 600/1200/449. And GPU-Z shows the same clocks.

Which is correct???

rbh3hbm2.png

If I set it to the clocks mentioned above, I end up with this

6k4uyxk6.png

Edited by Codyksp

So I tried the above shown clocks and my GPU downclocked itsself during Graphics Tests 2 & 4 in 3DMark06.

I left the core at 628, set memory back to 449 and checked the Link Clocks box again which put my shader on 1256 and ran the tests again. This time it stayed fine and I ended with 4500 3DMarks. Temperature never topped 71 degrees.

But I cannot understand how 5000 was reached.... I have a slightly faster CPU and the same card, what am I doing wrong?

I am still very confused about this RivaTuner monitor, why does it show much higher speeds? Can somebody please explain this.

I think you should trust GPU-Z monitor. WIth regards to the results: maybe its the matter of vBIOS, as for the drivers, I got about 4950 with Dox 185.20 and above 5011 with Dox 181.20. I dont use any additional cooling equipment, all my results are achieved on stock hardware, except 4 Gb RAM - stock was 2 Gb. Try not to put on the "link clocks" on, because shaders can run on much higher than linked clocks.

Guest Lisianthus

I run mine at 666/1425/450 and it works flawless. my top temperature is about 60 degrees but it almost never reaches that temp, not even when playing crysis.

The Drivers I'm using is DOX 181.22.1 and I have a raiser for my laptop to keep it 5-8cm above the table wich lowers the temps with about 15degrees.

OK so I switched to the 181.20 drivers (performance). I had 185.20 (balanced).

I was still not able to go above 1350 for shader, and I left core at 628 and memory at 456 like before.

This time around I got 4727 3DMarks, but this is still far from 5000.

The only difference I have is 25 less shader MHz, what am I missing here???

Oh and the temperature tops to 73 degrees now, up from 71.

I also noticed some lines and squares flash by during the test... Which I assume are a result of the Performance driver, I hope this doesn't happen in my games too.

yfysov3f.png

Edited by Codyksp

Here is my softmodded 8600m gt 512 mb ddr2 resultpost-29290-1234103587_thumb.jpg

Why is 3DMark06 as well as GPU-Z showing 8700M GT and not 8600M GT?

I compared yours to mine... and my GPU-Z shows slightly different stats as well like lower bandwidth.

Nope, I just softmodded it, as i wrote in above post :) but as Morris said, i could also change it in the .inf

Here is my softmodded 8600m gt 512 mb ddr2 result

Edited by sssniper

Guest tallaploomi

try dox 178.13 and speeds 625/525 mine runs smoothly with no problems,i have 8600m gt 256mb ddr2 and t8300 2,4ghz and max temp i get is 72celsius while playing gta 4 for hours, 630/530 is max for me

Wow tallaploomi you've got a good batch of memory there, *jealous*.

I had the same strang experience with rivatuner telling me my core/shader clocks were 30/60 higher than they should have been. Also that my mem clock was -1 then what I'd set it in rivatuner itself. GPU-Z reported the clocks as the same as what I'd set them, though. I posted some about this here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22998

edit - what version of rivatuner are you using codyksp?

Edited by molten_tofu

Version 2.22.

180.84.1 dox

5317 @ 1280x800

650, 1300, 525

8600m GT ddr2, T9300 @ 2.5 ghz, never gone above 70 C, all in Dell Vostro 1500.

What is your CPU score in the test?

Just did the test again:

18084zw0.th.jpg

Edited by kiisu

Good result for 8600m gt ddr2, your CPU score was 2291, my was 1748 because of different CPUs, but your SM 2.0 and HDR/SM 3.0 are higher :)

One interesting (for me at least) question: Which one should i belive when it comes to freq's, rivatuner (which i use to oc) or GPU-Z. GPU-Z shows the clocks as they're supposed to be, but rt's monitoring page shows a bit different results. Especially weird is the 2D memory clock of 800mhz. I only changed performance-3D clocks in RivaTuner (650, 1300, 525), everything else should be default.

freq1vf8.th.jpgfreq2as2.th.jpg

Also, is the gpu fan supposed to be always on 100%, ik8fan shows ~900 rpm and it can't control it. Changing fan speed in rivatuner alters the %'s in GPU-Z but has no effect according to ik8fan. Am i right if i think it is not actually a fan for GPU specifically and is used just to blow air into laptop.

Edited by kiisu

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very jealous of all your scores!

I'm currently running dell driver and wanted to upgrade my driver. However, they are so many different drivers and software to choose from.

Can someone help me with link to the driver and software ( ie. rivertune, gpu-z etc...)?

I'm downloading and installing dox 182.05 and physx 9.09.0203. I would be very happy if I can get 3400 in 3dMark06 and temp under 70c

Thanks,

Haku

After installing both 182.05 and physx my 3dmark06 score only 3227 without overclocking. A big step forward.... :)

Next step overclock - any hint on this one?

Edited by nvHaku