LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Mother Nature to make us feel small

mobilenvidia

Here is a little insite to where I live and work.

2 days ago a rather large chunk of the Tasman glacier decided to break off and make for a spectacular display of city block sized Icebergs.

I estimate that aprox 800x200m of the glacier broke off and left 2 huge Icebergs and a gazillion smaller ones.

There was a 4-5m wave that was created as the Glacier broke up into smaller pieces.

The picture below shows a 15 person boat in front of the 2 largest Icebergs thats have been upturned, you can see the 1000+ year old compressed blue Ice.

The Hermitage Hotel run the boat trips on the glacier but now is a rather good time to have a look at something that doesn't happen all that often especially on this scale.

So if your ever down this way, it's a must do adventure.

IMG_0153.JPG_595.jpg

Click on the picture to get a larger version.

It has been estimated the Iceberg in the back ground is about 250m long and wide and 80m high, that is fairly large cube to put in your scotch

I took a few pictures of the boats cruising around, you can find the rest over here.

Not exactly on topic but rather visually pleasing especially on nVidia based cards :)

Dang. Must have been global warming ain't it? Grabbed IMG_0158.JPG as my wallpaper. Cool photos :)

The terminal lake has grown huge over the last few years, the glacier has probably shrunk back about 5km, it does still have about 21km to go before it's completely gone.

Thanks for that insight! Really amazing what mother nature can do and produce. I went skiing this winter in Austria and there it is the same with the glaciers melting away - just amazing to see pictures from teh 60s or 70s how the glacier looked back then. So where exactly can you see glaciers like that on Tasmania? Hobart? It's one of those locations (from where I am at) you can just dream of visiting. Talking of locations: check out this island. Don't forget to zoom out......

Edited by moontear

Is it so cold in New Zealand? I thought, we have winter in europe and you have summer at the same time?

Off Topic or not, this is one of those moments when a human being realizes just how mighty and powerful the very world we live in is.

I really wish I could see it in person, but I'm sure my future has other impressive things in store :)

Awesome photos btw :)

this is simply put baeutifull ... i really wish i could see this ... but i know i wont ... not very soon anyways ...

Thanks for that insight! Really amazing what mother nature can do and produce. I went skiing this winter in Austria and there it is the same with the glaciers melting away - just amazing to see pictures from teh 60s or 70s how the glacier looked back then. So where exactly can you see glaciers like that on Tasmania? Hobart? It's one of those locations (from where I am at) you can just dream of visiting. Talking of locations: check out this island. Don't forget to zoom out......

Tasmania has no glaciers (anymore) plenty of evidence where they once were.

That Island is what I call remote, no where to run should the volcano blow :)

Is it so cold in New Zealand? I thought, we have winter in europe and you have summer at the same time?

Yes it's summer here, the sky was quite hazy as it's filled with ash/dust from the Fires in Victoria Australia, the top of the glaciers has changes colour (browish) because of it.

Summers are quite short at Mt Cook, were at 750m altitude, not all that high in world term but enough to make winters long and cold.

Yeah pretty impressive... been there once, and think its one of NZs' must see's. Now I think about it, there is a lot to see over here...