LaptopVideo2Go Forums

About GPU cooling Fan activation

MoBman

Hi guys, i've a question regarding the GPU cooling system;

i've noticed that on my notebook the cooling fan of the video card doesnt "run" always but it's activated just for some seconds and when the passive cooler become Very Very HOT,

also i've noticed that the fan job is very short 5/10 seconds.

Im wondering if i can setup the gpu sensor so it can cool better my vga beacuse i play alot on it and i am scared that sooner or later my gpu get fried :>

So, it's normal that the fan is so LAZY? i didnt have misured temp on passive cooler but i can say it was really Hot!

Can i tweak this in someway or it's bios related and untochable feature? any sofware or registry tweak? or something relate to the power management

I'm using an enermax infinite coolpad to keep it cool, but i want more.

Sorry for the cheap english

MoBman

Edited by MoBman

It might be worth upgrading the bios, if you haven't already, to see if it improves things for you.

On looking for your laptop I can only find this one, but with my Clevo they added fan control to the keyboard in a later bios, as it had the same problem of going in fits and spurts like yours does.

KBC BIOS:

http://mtc.mitacservice.com/MISC/M0800/F08...x?fileid=104428

EDIT: Remember to use a bootable flash drive or equivalent when flashing a bios.

Hi thanks for reply,

I will double check my bios and this one to be sure it's ok, SIW say that the notebook it's a mitac, but for example nvdia drivers "autodetect" say to download stuff from medion.com , is something unbranded :)

Also, how you can be sure this will fix? you had experiences with this kind of nb?

thanks to mitac that didnt put a file with notes inside the bios anyway -_-

thanks to you.

Well that is for a Mitac 8050QDA. Look on the Mitac website to check.

As I said it might help, I had the same problem with a different laptop, and IMO it's worth trying.

Depends how the fans are controlled and if they have fixed it.

Ya ofc it's worth to try the problems is that im 98% sure that's a mitac 8050qda but on the chassis there's another logo, such "8050 mobo" are used in so many notebooks,

i will investigate, i want to do a safe flash because if bios fails bye bye notebook :/

I will put more informations about this machine so maybe another unluck like me can find out something more :)

at Last, without take any risk updating the bios maybe i can use Rivatuner or ntune?

Many thanks for your help

Unfortunately the fan control is hard coded in, so unless you have a Dell or a Clevo etc you can't do anything about that, as far as I'm aware.

The fan should still be stopping it getting too hot, but if it's constantly turning on and off it can be annoying.

Hi,

i've done some tests and i can say the gpu cooling fast start cooling at 99 degrees for then go at 92 degrees.

Isnt too much 99 degrees?? the gpu is a geforce go 6600 :)

Hum.. i've got an idea

what about if i connect (soldering or making a new connector) the cable that goes in the gpu to the one that goes at the cpu??

Cpu fan works alot more than gpu fan, so in this way i will have both fans running at the same it.

Do i risk to damage somthing in this way? bot fan's have the same voltage but i think different RPM, there's any risk?

Can the fan cpu connector support 2 fans? pls help :) or other ideas :)

thanks

Possibly your CPU fan will run two times slower than before. I wouldn't try that.

:/ damn, in normals pc's you can put as many cooling fan you want in the 5v cable that comes out from ps.

So anyone know where i can get those 5v from my notebook ^^ ??? :) :)

up up up

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken but :

- The speed of a fan depends mostly on the delivered Ampers than on the Volts.

- You want to plug your fan in parallel with another fan in your laptop, however the power delivered from the fan connector could be just enough for one fan. If so, by plugging two fans in parallel, you will divide the speed by nearly two.

- On a standard desktop computer, the fans are connected in serial and the delivered power is very enough to plug many fans.

Possibly a better idea (possibly a worst too ?) :

On many laptops there are internal unused USB connectors. If you can find one then you can adapt your fan to connect from that usb connector.

In brief : do it at your own risk, I wouldn't do it if I were you...

Edited by GabSoftware

Hi, i've did so;

Opened notebook

wired 2 cables from an usb port (soldered into the mainboard pins)

connected the gpu fan directly

result: -19 degrees = happy.

Closed, thanks all! :)

MobMan