LaptopVideo2Go Forums

AR5009 can't connect to N network

Guest churchwa

Guest churchwa

I have a new dell laptop with an AR5009 wireless card in it. I can install the dell drivers on a fresh OS but as soon as I do Windows wants to install it's newer drivers direct from Artheros. Version 1.0.0.7 dated 07/11/08.

I have also installed some generic drivers from this forum and all of them present the same problem. I cannot connect to my Belkin N+ router on an N network, only on a G. If I set my router to N only then the network can be seen but not connected to.

As other post what model Dell ?

Also Atheros doesn't make a AR5009 ?

Went from AR5008 to the AR92xx

Also they made a AR5B91 (wonder if this is considered a AR5009)

My laptop is a Dell Studio XPS 13, 4 gig ram, 128 SSD and the Geforce hybrid graphics.

If you say they never made an AR5009 then why do the drivers say it is that, I have attached an image from my device manager.

post-36519-1234718897_thumb.png

I have just opened up the laptop and taken the card out and the part number is AR5BHB92 and then is says 5ghz.

I have checked onlice and found this http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certif...php?cid=WFA6109 which confirms that it is an N card. All very strange.....

Edited by churchwa

Driver version is 1.0.0.7 which means that Atheros have made a different card to the 500x and 9xx0 cards.

The 5009 must be a completly new card and the 7.6.x.xxx drivers aren't going to work

Wonder why this is, all strange now.

Will do some investigating

I've got the Dell WLAN 1515 down as a Broadcom 94322 chipset see front page post I did a few days ago.

I see the AR5BHB92 is a half height card to compete with the Broadcom 94322 card and fit in the Studio range.

Wonder if it's a half height version of the AR5BB91 ?

Can you send me the drive to donate@laptopvideo2go.com ?

Just zip up the files or at least the INF file if you know where it is.

you may need to search the INF dir a subdir of windows and look inside the OEMxx.inf's for the Atheros inf

A text search for AR5009 should narrow it down quickly.

Will be interesting to see the INF

The AR5009 is the same as the AR928x but a half height version.

They have the same PCI_ID as the 928x.

What you could do for me also is try this driver ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39001-39500/sp39403.exe

It's the HP/Compaq driver for the AR5009, quite an old driver now.

But if this works for you all the better.

can't see any reason why the newer drivers here wouldn't work either.

Can't hurt to try

Keep in mind the above driver link is for Vista only.

I've lost track of who's who with which OS :)

He is running 32bit Windows 7 and I am running x64 Vista Bussiness and Windows 7. Will attempt to install this driver when I get a chance probably sometime this evening.

He is running 32bit Windows 7 and I am running x64 Vista Bussiness and Windows 7. Will attempt to install this driver when I get a chance probably sometime this evening.

Driver should work for both Vista and Win 7

BTW its version 7.6.0.114 for those that need to know.

The HP one didn't even install the driver or anything just created a folder in program files with a bunch of folders/files in it and then when I try manually install the HP driver it says it's not compatible.

Tried the manual 'UPdate driver' in device Manager, the installer may check to see if you have a Dell or HP/Compaq.

These 2 drivers should work as they are specially released for the half height cards only.

Yeah thats the issue not got no Dell/HP :)

If that didn't work then I'm out of ideas :P

Did at least work out what you guys have.

Seems odd that these notebooks have an adaptor that doesn't really work.

Could diagnose it if I had a card so if anyone gives up on theirs :)

Ofcourse, their going to have a hard time to get a replacement card, Broadcom make a half height card based on the 94322 chipset.

There are a few on ebay

I will give these ideas a try tononign and tomorrow I will be getting a replacement card to see if that helps at all.

I tried installing the AR928x driver, no joy. I get the same G signal.

Looking forward to trying the new card they deliver tomorrow

If that didn't work then I'm out of ideas :)

Did at least work out what you guys have.

Seems odd that these notebooks have an adaptor that doesn't really work.

Could diagnose it if I had a card so if anyone gives up on theirs :)

Ofcourse, their going to have a hard time to get a replacement card, Broadcom make a half height card based on the 94322 chipset.

There are a few on ebay

How much you reckon it would cost to send a wifi card from Wellington to Mount Cook? :P

What's the cost of a postage stamp and envelope ? :)

Ok, so I think I am a fool.

Apparently you have to set encryption to WPA2 in order to get a high speed N connection. Which I have now done, and BANG i have high speed wireless. Please check your existing wireless settings as if you set your router to WPA + WPA2 it will jump on the WPA connection because of your old settings.

Ok, so I think I am a fool.

Apparently you have to set encryption to WPA2 in order to get a high speed N connection. Which I have now done, and BANG i have high speed wireless. Please check your existing wireless settings as if you set your router to WPA + WPA2 it will jump on the WPA connection because of your old settings.

WPA should also work with 11n I've had it working

But then again I had my router set to WPA/WPA2 Auto setting so it may have used WAP2 anyway as all my devices are WPA2 capable.

Didnt help for me

EDIT: Ok slight lie. It appears when I re installed Windows 7 again I didn't update to the latest Driver. So now latest driver WPA2 and 300mbs :) :) :P :unsure: :w00t:

Edited by Jake_