LaptopVideo2Go Forums

xps 1710, 3 graphics cards and counting!

crown

Hi Guys,

I have a xps 1710 with a 7950 GTX card.

Over the past 3 months I`ve had to have 3 graphics cards replaced due to their failure.

Is there another graphics card that could replace the 7950 GTX without having to down grade?

There are other laptops with adequate cooling solutions available and MXM IV slots.

There are other laptops with adequate cooling solutions available and MXM IV slots.

Thats great. Where? and do you have any more info?

Are you saying the cards in my laptop failed due to overheating?

well what was the symptoms ?? what was the card acting like prior to the failure ?? it could also have been a power surge ... although 3 times , that sounds unlikely , but if that was the cause then you probably have a crappy MoBo ...

The graphics cards in those Dell XPS systems aren't reliable at all.

Its either a faulty or cheap design, or overheating.

Judging by the inside layout of the graphics card in those models its probably overheating. (cheaper graphics card designs also can't handle as much heat)

Thats why I would recommend getting a Clevo laptop instead of Dell's unreliable crap.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?&t=264311

A lot of the resellers post on that forum too.

For example, its very difficult to get a laptop with this cooling system to overheat.

IMAG0024.jpg

(pictured is my laptop, a BD-ROM drive, and a Seagate enterprise drive with firmware issues :) )

Is that the final verdict: Dell XPS 1710's are simply no good? No video card upgrade will help? My 1710 has the nv4_disp problem for the second time now and Dell wants to either replace the GeForce Go 7950 GTX AGAIN or build me a new laptop, comparable model of course--- I bought the total coverage warranty when I bought the thing and Dell support has even told me that I can go out and throw my 1710 under a truck and they'll replace it... for free. This video card replacement routine is not a problem I want to constantly deal with... anybody else wanna' chime in here?

I'd go for the new laptop they are offering or take your money elsewhere to another laptop manufacturer.

You could try cleaning out the fans of course. You shouldn't have to do any extreme cooling mods if the laptop is designed correctly though.

Is that the final verdict: Dell XPS 1710's are simply no good? No video card upgrade will help? My 1710 has the nv4_disp problem for the second time now and Dell wants to either replace the GeForce Go 7950 GTX AGAIN or build me a new laptop, comparable model of course--- I bought the total coverage warranty when I bought the thing and Dell support has even told me that I can go out and throw my 1710 under a truck and they'll replace it... for free. This video card replacement routine is not a problem I want to constantly deal with... anybody else wanna' chime in here?

Do you have an update on what Dell have done for you? I`m interested to know if Dell have replaced your notebook or changed the card.

I had the motherboard and card replaced again in mine. They insist it is nvidias problem and are waiting for them to release a replacement for their faulty 7950 GTX.

• 1 month later...
Do you have an update on what Dell have done for you? I`m interested to know if Dell have replaced your notebook or changed the card.

I had the motherboard and card replaced again in mine. They insist it is nvidias problem and are waiting for them to release a replacement for their faulty 7950 GTX.

Hey there Crown, been away from the forum for a while, sorry I couldn't reply sooner.... my situation is much like yours. Here's the history on my 1710; bought in Oct 2006, lived with it's Go 7900 512 GT for over 2 years everything fine. Then, started having vid probs and finally it wouldn't boot even to Safe mode. (WinXP-Pro SP2) So Dell did the same thing for me as with you--- replaced my mobo and installed 7950 GTX in Dec 2008. Then, by the end of Feb '09, that second 7950 went south and they replaced it again with same. Kind of a hassle but didn't cost me anything 'cause I have the total protection warranty. With this last vid-card replacment though, Dell support did not offer to build me a new laptop because they had plenty of vid-cards in stock, unlike the first vid-card failure in Dec '08. So far so good with this latest 7950. Running Nvidia's stock driver 179.48 with Video BIOS version:5.71.22.45.12.

Anyway, I'm working this laptop daily now so if there's any more probs I can hopefully get it fixed again before warranty expires end of this year. Additionally, I should say that I don't play any really hardcore games, GPU-wise. About the most intense game I do is Silent Hunter III, a subsim, and play with highest graphics settings--- (it plays fine!) this is a 2005 DX 9.0 release and its not exactly known for any serious GPU strain. (no aplogies here--- I'm old-school!)

BTW; wondering what Dell told you about the so-called "replacement" for the faulty 7950's? In my Feb '09 replacement, neither the tech nor support people said a word about it to me. Also wondering what/how your outcome is progressing? PM me thru the forum if you like or I can post an email addy and maybe we could compare notes. Another BTW; if you go to Dell's community forum and search around you'll find a whole 130 plus pages of various model owners screaming bloody murder about Nvidia's cards and I'm talking about THE NEWER MODELS like 1730's; etc., just a heads up on that...

Best O' luck--- ciao!

• 1 month later...
Hey there Crown, been away from the forum for a while, sorry I couldn't reply sooner.... my situation is much like yours. Here's the history on my 1710; bought in Oct 2006, lived with it's Go 7900 512 GT for over 2 years everything fine. Then, started having vid probs and finally it wouldn't boot even to Safe mode. (WinXP-Pro SP2) So Dell did the same thing for me as with you--- replaced my mobo and installed 7950 GTX in Dec 2008. Then, by the end of Feb '09, that second 7950 went south and they replaced it again with same. Kind of a hassle but didn't cost me anything 'cause I have the total protection warranty. With this last vid-card replacment though, Dell support did not offer to build me a new laptop because they had plenty of vid-cards in stock, unlike the first vid-card failure in Dec '08. So far so good with this latest 7950. Running Nvidia's stock driver 179.48 with Video BIOS version:5.71.22.45.12.

Anyway, I'm working this laptop daily now so if there's any more probs I can hopefully get it fixed again before warranty expires end of this year. Additionally, I should say that I don't play any really hardcore games, GPU-wise. About the most intense game I do is Silent Hunter III, a subsim, and play with highest graphics settings--- (it plays fine!) this is a 2005 DX 9.0 release and its not exactly known for any serious GPU strain. (no aplogies here--- I'm old-school!)

BTW; wondering what Dell told you about the so-called "replacement" for the faulty 7950's? In my Feb '09 replacement, neither the tech nor support people said a word about it to me. Also wondering what/how your outcome is progressing? PM me thru the forum if you like or I can post an email addy and maybe we could compare notes. Another BTW; if you go to Dell's community forum and search around you'll find a whole 130 plus pages of various model owners screaming bloody murder about Nvidia's cards and I'm talking about THE NEWER MODELS like 1730's; etc., just a heads up on that...

Best O' luck--- ciao!

Hey Bro,

My 1710 continued having failures. Got tired of Dell`s repair, short fixes. Contacted Department of consumer fair trading. They informed me that Dell are required to repair, replace, refund.

Wrote them an e-mail requesting that they provide a suitable replacement system or refund the purchase cost. They agreed to replace the 1710. Since they no longer manufacture the 1710, Dell upgraded my system to the 1730.

Specs, Duo T9300 - 4 GB - Dual NVidia 9800 GT cards - Vista ultimate - 2 x 500GB SATA hard drives.

While speaking with Dell about the 7950 GTX problems, Dell informed me that NVidia are aware of the failures and in the process of having a replacement card available soon. If it happens that NVidia dont provide a replacement card. Without pushing them, Dells policy is to have the card replaced, While the problem still exists. After the the fourth failure, they did offer me a downgrade to a 256 mb card !

If your system continues with the same failures, use your warranty while you can.

Peace out.