LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM 2.5 inch drives are finally available

Bill

Well these drives finally became available in the last few weeks or so.

Momentus 7200.4 500 GB 2.5 inch

I think every site has them out of stock right now but some take pre-orders.

Preliminary benchmarks show that in HDTach it can go over 77 MB/s average sustained read.

Basically its the highest capacity and fastest read speed non-SSD laptop drive on the market.

I will be testing 3 of these in my RAID 0. :) :)

I suspect it will choke my RAID controller and it will max out at only 200 MB/s.

Just for the record 3 will only set you back $383.97 in the US.

Expect benchmarks from me in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up mate, just bought one of these from a Dutch shop. Shipping time is '3 - 10 days'.. looking forward to it. This is the first replacement drive I've bought for my laptop (first that seems worth it), so I hope it works!

Darn it! I just bought a 320gb 7200rpm laptop hard drive a few months ago, and they already come out with a bigger, faster model!

I wonder on the purchase of two 2 x 128GB SSD HDD , but the price are much more expensive than two Momentus 7200.4 500 GB 2.5 inch.

Please advise me what to choose ? :)

The non-SSDs will have much faster write speeds.

If I were you I would still wait a few months before getting an SSD in a performance laptop.

There are some things they are just now starting to put in SSDs like cache. (most don't have it yet)

BILL thank you very much for the information , it gives me a view of what to choose :) :)

Unless someone else has something interesting to say about it ? :P

Also looks like prices are plummeting for the smaller drives, all good for us consumers :)

Wonder if SSD will replace RAM, as they are similar only volatility the main difference

running the OS straight of the HD as RAM

A 256GB RAM address space Notebook

With proper caching should be doable.

I think some people still have issues with the g sensors. Also you have to drop the laptop pretty far/hard for it to activate.

If it activated too easily then it could shut off the drive when it shouldn't.

I bought the non g sensor version, which is cheaper and easier to find.

I got the version with G sensor.. if you want I can let you know if I have problems (it'll hopefully arrive soon)

Thats why I bought 3. :)

Yeah! 7200rpm FTW, I have a Seagate Momentus 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache, average of 70MB/s only, but it is the fastest drive in my house, and yes, it is faster then my desktop ones.

too expensive...
These were the cheapest 7200 RPM drives that I have ever purchased. (laptop or desktop)

I think they are very cheap for the speed.

After they quit going out of stock you'll probably be able to get them for $120 or less again. For the best conventional 2.5 inch 9.5 mm high drive on the market period that is a good price.

Also I only own 1 desktop hard drive that is faster.

I'm not sure what this HDX is exactly that you are referring too, but this drive is just like any other 9.5 mm high perpendicular recording 2.5 inch SATA drive. It can operate in SATA 1.5G or 3 G.

The only difference is it may draw more current/generate more heat than most 5400 RPM and some 7200 RPM 2.5 inch drives.

However I think the drive uses less power than of lot of older 7200 RPM drives anyway.

Stats claim no more then 0.5% extra power drain compared with a 5400RPM drive which is good, HDX is a 20.1" laptop made by HP. Their more of a desktop replacement as they weigh in at 15lbs lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got them in just now.

The best part is I think they forgot to charge me for them, so they are free right now.

I'll be contacting them tomorrow. Someone is gonna get fired.

I'm gonna benchmark each separately in my Esata controller, then a dual drive RAID0, then 3 drive RAID5 and RAID0. (after installation in laptop)