LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows won't load with 6800m GS enabled

Guest Natalia

Guest Natalia

Hi guys

I was just playing Guild Wars the other night when my pc just froze and then tried to restart.

Ever since then, windows won't load. It tries to startup repair which doesn't fix it and the screens just remains blank.

Just out of curiosity, i went into safe mode and disabled the geforce 8600m GS and it worked!

I tried downloading newer drivers from this site but windows still won't load apart from safe mode

I've tried system restore to no avail.

It works absolutley fine with the standard vga card

I just don't understand why it's stopped working? I've not added any new hardware, software or new drivers

I wonder if you had any ideas please? Ps I'm a girl so don't have a clue about bios etc

Thank you

My zoostorm laptop runs vista home premium 32bit service pack1

Intel core duo 1.8

1gb memory

i'm sorry to bring bad news, but i think your gpu is fried.

if your lucky its MXM wich means its replaceable with something more powerfull.(like an 8600GT for example)

When in safe mode are you seeing any anomalies on the screen (as in multicoloured lines or weird artifacts). BTW, i lol'ed when I saw 'I'm a girl so I have no idea what is bios.'

Ok, here's what i suggest you do, since it doesn't look as if there is a problem with the gpu:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=22324

Download those (you don't need modded inf.) Then uninstall the previous ones (use device manager), then restart and install these. They should work. Good luck!

Guest Natalia

Andrew, what can i say?!

It worked!

I used driver sweeper in safe mode to get rid of the preivious one then installed the drivers you linked and et voila!

Thank you SO much. How did you know that would work? I thought i was going to have to spend a fortune

Thanks again, i'm so grateful

Guest Natalia

Oh no

It was working fine until I tried to start a game then a blue screen came up saying something about resetting a display adaptor then it shut down. I put it back on and it started startup repair and then done a system restore to the standard VGA :)

How annoying

Exactly what game was that? It looks as if the only sure way to cure this problem might be with a reformat as I can't think of anything else.

Also, what are your gpu temps (you can check this with ntune or rivatuner.)