LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m gt maybe overheating?

Guest Alex

Hi.

Im using the geforce 8600m gt 512 mb ddr2.

When im nothing doing my temperature is around 65. but when i play either cod 4 or cod world at war (the only 2 games i tested) my temperature is around 90. is that too high?

Im using: Techpowerup gpu-z 0.3.1 to watch my temperature.

Computer specs:

Acer aspire 7720g

intel core 2 duo 2,4 ghz

3 gb ddr2

thanks for all advises

its normal.

how can you say normal to thoose temps? anyway if you can open up your laptop, check if there is dust in the fan and also try renewing the thermal paste with as5 or equivalent.

i have 8600m gs and mine reaches 85-90 degrees after a while.maybe your 8600m gt is overclocked??if thats the case then underclock it slightly and it should be known that the 8600 have heat problems(all of them,gs or gt).yes cod4 is not as demanding as cod5 and there is a huge leap.i play cod5 lowest settings and min fps is 30.min in cod4 medium settings is 45.

Getting 90C on an 8600m GT under load is normal. The maximum rated temperature is around 110C,

If your savy enough you can try replacing the thermal paste with gold based thermal paste, because the paste that comes with most laptops is rubbish

Edited by Au_Xtr3me

Getting 90C on an 8600m GT under load is normal. The maximum rated temperature is around 110C,

My go5700 had max rated temperature of 125C and it died on about 98C. Make your conclusions.

I thought the 5xxx series had really high failure rates though.

Anyways, new conclusion:

We can safely assume that the maximum rated temperature of a 8600m GT is not the real rated temperature at 110C, but actually 95C, thus a 8600m GT running at 90C is at a risky but functional temperature. :)

What can i do to reduce degrees?

if you can open up your laptop, check if there is dust in the fan and also try renewing the thermal paste with as5 or equivalent.

Easiest way that works for me (max gpu temp is ~70-73 with ~30% oc) - just raise the back of your laptop a inch or two.

The purpose of raising the back of laptop is to grant better airflow. You could buy special laptop coolers, but basically anything that you can put under the rubber pieces at the bottom of your laptop will have some effect.

For me - a small wooden (toy) block (~2cm in height) at each of the back corners. Simple but works. It also makes the laptop lean a bit towards me which imho is more comfortable (but that is a question of personal taste).

Edited by kiisu

hahaha I'm sorry those temps are NOT normal, well let me rephase that... they are normal, but they are not right. Even Dell will admit to you those temps are too high, and that is hard to make a computer company admit they have a faulty card in their laptops. I've gotten mine replaced twice due to the faulty batch of 8600M GT's out there. I think they finally fixed it, and i'm now overclocked to 685/1060/1370 with MAX temps of 81c. Non OC is around 74c, and thats with stock thermal grease, and a modded lappy cooler.

I'd suggest taking one of the steps above... thermal grease, lappy cooler, raising the back end, and ensuring that there is no dust blocking your fans (and yes that really does make a difference.)

If all else fails, call your laptop manufacturer and tell them your issue, and demand a replacement.

good luck!

Edited by coolcop06

Guest Eyeblade

hi,

I am ussing a: Nvidia Gayforce 8600GS 512mb

getting up temps around 95 +- it once tipped 100 celcius.

and i still got garanty on my product does this realy mean i can demand my computercomany 2 replace my product??

What about rivatuner, ive read that u can control the cooler in your computer, is that a good idea? or is it stupid to do when my card is around 90 degrees when im playing?

Guest Janneman

I had some issues too.

My card reached 104 degrees just by booting and using word :S

I tried to shut down and cool for several times.

But no luck.

Now i wrote dell, waiting for news

DELL XPS M1530

T9300

320 GB

4GB

GeForce 8600MGT

yes, you can demand your computer company to replace your product. if it is a faulty card, it is not your fault it is theirs, and they have to make you as a customer happy so they will replace the card. at least dell did.

and as far as writing dell, i tried that and it takes forever. call the xps support line, theres almost no phone wait and youll be off the phone within 15 mins with the problem solved.