LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Looking for a replacement Go 7900GS 256

Guest Elile

well, its toast, after 4-5 days of reformating, testing, reistalling differant OS's etc. thats what it must be.

Its for a toshiba p100, but would also work with a p105. Its the one that has the fan mounted on the side. If you have a 7900gs, or think you might have a card that might work, post here.

elile,

I have two 7900'gs that are MXM type 3 Special Amira style so not sure if thats compatible with your Toshiba. Either way let me know if you want more details.

So they fit Alienware 5700 and F-S x43x laptops (Uniwill P71 EN0 motherboard).

Another burnt 7900gs :)

Mine did the same a couple of days ago, and after googling this problem....it seems in fact that ALOT is having their 7900gs' burnt this very month and also january. This make me suspect it's a driver issue. (I installed the fairly new 180.22 driver from Nvidia not long ago)

For the record....I was only surfing when the card died with sudden lines and dots, freezing everything. So I wasn't even stressing the card.

This was my Second 7900gs, my first died only 4 month ago....under Windows update. I suspect it was upgrading to a new UNstable Nvidia-driver. :unsure:

My Dell warranty went out last year, but my "new" videocard has a new warranty, so they'll replace it with another CRAPPY 7900gs. They refused to replace it with a 7900 or 7950GTX wich seemingly are more stable cards, and they fit perfectly in a 9400/m1705 (if you remove a tiny bit of plastic to make room for the 2nd heatpipe.)

I will never buy anything from Dell again. Not only because of this, when my 60gb HD died under warranty some time ago, they refused to make me pay extra for a larger and better disk!! So I had to stick with another tiny 60gb. :)

I'll go for ATI from now on, for more stable cards and better driver support. I'm reeeeally fed up with nvidia bugs, crashing and burning and servicing my laptop for yet another useless 7900GS.

Guess all the 7900GS out there are a fast dying specie if Nvidia really is releasing drivers which not only freeze the system, but also KILLS that poor 7900. :P

Does anyone know of a good and OLD stable driver for the 7900GS? I'm only using XP and Linux, so Vista support is not necessary. For all I know it could be the Vista-support drivers who messes up the 7900...

The fragile 7900GS and bad drivers makes me paranoid.

Edited by Shamaniac

Mine did the same a couple of days ago, and after googling this problem....it seems in fact that ALOT is having their 7900gs' burnt this very month and also january. T

That's why MXM-upgrade did stop to sell them even when they were the fastest available a couple of years ago. Pitty.

• 1 month later...

Well mine are still up for graps if you want one. They come from an Alienware M9700 and are the special Amira style.

Mine did the same a couple of days ago, and after googling this problem....it seems in fact that ALOT is having their 7900gs' burnt this very month and also january. This make me suspect it's a driver issue. (I installed the fairly new 180.22 driver from Nvidia not long ago)

For the record....I was only surfing when the card died with sudden lines and dots, freezing everything. So I wasn't even stressing the card.

This was my Second 7900gs, my first died only 4 month ago....under Windows update. I suspect it was upgrading to a new UNstable Nvidia-driver. :unsure:

My Dell warranty went out last year, but my "new" videocard has a new warranty, so they'll replace it with another CRAPPY 7900gs. They refused to replace it with a 7900 or 7950GTX wich seemingly are more stable cards, and they fit perfectly in a 9400/m1705 (if you remove a tiny bit of plastic to make room for the 2nd heatpipe.)

I will never buy anything from Dell again. Not only because of this, when my 60gb HD died under warranty some time ago, they refused to make me pay extra for a larger and better disk!! So I had to stick with another tiny 60gb. :)

I'll go for ATI from now on, for more stable cards and better driver support. I'm reeeeally fed up with nvidia bugs, crashing and burning and servicing my laptop for yet another useless 7900GS.

Guess all the 7900GS out there are a fast dying specie if Nvidia really is releasing drivers which not only freeze the system, but also KILLS that poor 7900. :P

Does anyone know of a good and OLD stable driver for the 7900GS? I'm only using XP and Linux, so Vista support is not necessary. For all I know it could be the Vista-support drivers who messes up the 7900...

The fragile 7900GS and bad drivers makes me paranoid.

I'm thinking the same. My card fried in the same day I installed linux's 180.xx drivers. It only had firefox running after that.