LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell C840 Geforce go 440

Right now I'm running 53.03 with Pieter's 11.67 .inf everthing seems to be running fine after startup, my question is at startup, the screen blinks a couple of time with this driver, but when i use the dell drivers everthing runs normal ( no blinking). what causes this and can i fix it myself by changing the .inf? and also, what is everbody else useing in these dell machines that are the quickest and stable.

Thanks for all the Help!!!!!!!!

I can't help with what everyone else is using, but the blinking is normal. The machine is testing to see if you have anything connected to the external VGA and video ports. Earlier drivers that didn't blink were defaulting to "clone" mode, which is a slower mode that allows you to connect an external device at any time. Clone mode caused a definite performance hit.

You can try manually choosing Clone Mode in your nVidia Contol Panel and see if it eliminates the blinks, but they may be permanent with the version 53.xx drivers.

LSudlow has hit the nail on the head, 5x.xx drivers handle the bootup process a little different.

When booting on to the Desktop, the GPU does a check of the Video-out ports (hence the blinking)

On the pre 5x.xx drives this didn't happen and selecting TV-out used to be easy (too easy).

Just get used to it, there is nothing (that I know of) that will fix it.

It only happens at boot up.

Pieter.

Try getting rid of overclocking with RivaTuner, that has made it stop blinking at times for me. Just uncheck the whole overclocking feature.

John

Mmmm,

Must try that, although when you look closely the screen flashes to 800x600 just briefly (TV-out Res)

Would be odd that the oerclocking feature would make it flicker.

But then again we are talking nVdia so anything can happen. :)

Pieter

Just wanted to confirm this, it is the overclocking page being enabled which causes this problem.

John