LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9800 gtx+ and a 8800 gt

Guest GRIM--slapdash

Guest GRIM--slapdash

can i run 9800 gtx+ and a 8800 gt in non sli mode on my evga x58 board?

i want them to run call of duty 4/5 in 3 monitors. is this possible?

what would i need to run 3 monitors in one game?

whats the drivers support like?

any info you have is greatly appreciated!

would 2 9800 gtx+'s allow me to do this?

What do you mean in non-sli mode? You mean independantly as in for one monitor you use the 9800 and the other the 8800? Please clarify. If so then, to my knowledge that is not possible.

Also for multiple monitors 2 9800 gtx's should be able to manage COD4 with most settings turned up but I can't say for sure since I have never tried it. Success is dependant on many variables.

And as for 'driver support' I recommend 178.24 (works well for me).

Guest GRIM--slapdash

well i already have 2 monitors on the 9800, i want a third or 4th.

so yes independently

and it is possible for me to have 2 monitors on my gtx running call of duty but it splits down the middle and its hard to see i would like 2 monitors for the left and right view and one for the gun and hands in the center.

and my gtx runs cod4 on full settings great,

i have a

intel i7 920 quad core running 8 streams

6 gb of ddr3 800

evga 9800 gtx+

corsair 850 watt psu

evga x58 3xSLI

razer baracuda ac-1 sound card

g51 surround sound 5.1

i just replaced my bfg 8800 gt oc with my 9800gtx+

now i want to try and run my old 8800 gt in there too

Oh, that clarifies it. No that is not possible. When using sli, the two cards must be the same.

Andrew, stop telling people they can't run monitors on 2 different graphics cards at the same time in a system.

You can run 2 cards at the same time with 3 or 4 monitors.

In some games you probably can stretch them across the screen (ie: flight sim, etc) but probably not COD.

Why don't you try it? Just run 2 monitors in dual view on one card and 1 on the second.

You could look at a site like this for info on multi-graphics card setups in particular games.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/...x.php/Main_Page

Oh, yes I see how that would be possible on more than two monitors, sorry for the wrong info. :)

But, in terms of the third monitor would Windows even recognise the two cards working in a simultaneous fashion (since they are not in SLI) or would they be processing independant of each other to output on the monitor(s)? I am not a member of the SLI world therefore my knowledge is limited.

To my knowledge the second card links the monitors connected to it to the existing monitors, but it doesn't do any of the rendering. The primary video card does all of that (If the system is not in SLI). That is: video card 2 only acts as two extra DVI ports, whilst video card 1 does all the work.

I believe that's what people did with 6800 GTs and a Matrox Parhelia several years ago to get a 4 monitor desktop.

What are you people smoking?

If you hook a second high end card into a system it will have full GPU computational, rendering, and video acceleration abilities just like the primary graphics card.

So you actually do get the performance of both even if they are completely different models?

I was under the impression that SLI didn't work like that, or does the extra performance only function in non-gaming applications?

I never said you could run those in SLI. I said they could be run independently and each card could do its own rendering separately of the other. (you could run a multi-monitor game, or do cuda on one card, and gaming on the other)

In the future you might be able to run them in SLI though.

Now, if you flash the 8 series card to a 9 series card, and re-flash the 9800 GTX+ to a GT or something, then you might be able to get SLI going.

It would be easier to just sell the 8 series card and buy a second GTX+ though.

Guest GRIM--Slapdash

yess i tried it it works great for out of game but i can not do more than the normal 2 monitors in game.

becuase the driver supports 6 series on up it uses both the 8 and the 9 series cards