LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Hybrid Theory

K-ROLE

Should we do - overclock   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should we overclock Laptop GPU or not?

• YES ( Because it will improve my GPU Speed )
    • NO ( Because it will damage my GPU )

its 9600M GT 256 DDR3 with GMA 4500MHD (Hybrid) -

is there any new update version from current 175 driver,

take a note, single driver for nvidia are not working

like 180, tried already, :) but this driver-hybrid graphics comes

with both intel n Nvidia if not mistaken

Edited by K-ROLE

Hello, I have a Vaio Z which also has Hybrid Graphics (Intel & Nvidia GPUs.) We have made some progress with Hybrid Graphics in getting 185.20 to work with our Vaio Zs when packaged correctly.

It is true that the Hybrid Graphics configuration in our notebooks is unique and thus far most of the nvidia drivers releases DO NOT work with hybrid graphics. I have a Hybrid Graphics Master Set of drivers that I am working on that includes the latest Intel drivers 1637 and Nvidia 185.20 that will hopefully work with all of our notebooks. Are you using Windows Vista 32bit?

Yes i,m using Vista Ultimate 32bit. but planning to replace with 64bit later since i have 4 GB

Anyway is it possible the drivers that you said can be worked, hav u tested already?

some of my friends already update their drivers from 175(Same model)

but hav to sacrifice Hybrid function cos they need to change back to XP

in order for driver 180 working ( XP does not support Hybrid feature ).

Screw that! i want hybrid cos lots of outdoor usage and some gaming

problem occured in this current driver when i play

Company of heroes Opposing Fronts ( Driver Problem ). so far GPU

hav no heat issue even in 14 inch lppie

Well as I said I have a Vaio Z which is slightly different than your BenQ but yes I have been running 185.20 and 1637 on Vista for some time now. I can upload a test package of my hybrid graphics master set (with default settings) which SHOULD work with your S42 if you would like to try them. According to Nvidia they should be releasing some Vista notebook drivers in the near future that support our hybrid graphics notebooks also.

Notebooks with Hybrid Graphics:

- Sony VAIO Z (Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS & Intel GMA 4500MHD)

- Fujitsu Siemens Amilo XI 3650 (Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & Intel GMA 4500MHD)

- BenQ Joybook S42 (Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & Intel GMA 4500MHD)

There should be no need to downgrade to XP and have to sacrifice Hybrid Power. I have someone else who I am working with to get the 185.20/1637 working with Vista 64bit on their S42 also.

Really! thats good news, anyway can u upload your driver test package.. i would like to try them

anyway how can i get those?

Well the upload went quicker than anticipated.

Hybrid Graphics Master Set Vista 32bit with Default Settings (Compatibility Test Version)

Recommended install method (Install instructions for Vaio Z so they may be a bit different)

Originally written by SORG who discovered how to run 185.20 on hybrid graphics notebooks.

1) Extract the drivers to a location of your choice.

2) Switch to "SPEED" mode (required!) [This is the mode the NVIDIA card is active on]

3) Remove the NVIDIA driver through Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

4) Reboot.

5) Open device manager and make sure there are two "Standard VGA" cards. One is ok, another with a yellow exclamation mark. If you do not see two "Standard VGA" cards and instead Intel or Nvidia cards, then delete them manually from device manager and reboot. Then start this step from beginning until you see two "Standard VGA" cards listed.

6) Reboot.

7) Open device manager and choose "Update Driver" on the "Standard VGA" card with the yellow exclamation point (this should be the Nvidia card). Choose "Browse my computer.." then "Let me pick.." and finally "Have Disk" and point to the location you extracted the drivers to in step 1. NOTE: The Intel drivers should install automatically at this time, if they do not follow this step again with the other "Standard VGA".

8) Reboot.

9) Enjoy!

Please let me know if and how this works for you.

Edited by Nautis1100

Thanks man.. i,m downloading now, will tell later if its work

its not working, in device manager its shows Mobile intel & Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT [Nautis 185.20]

but with yellow highlighted ( Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device :) )

Interesting the BenQ and Fujitsu are some of the only drivers to work on my Vaio Z as they are Hybrid Graphics drivers, so I don't see why they wouldn't work with the BenQ. Here are the files that provide switching for the S42. You can try to extract those over the ones in the master set package and reinstall. I am somewhat baffled why they wouldn't work right of the bat though.

Let me explain how the Hybrid Graphics drivers work. As we know the drivers contain both Intel and Nvidia drivers in a single package. Hybrid graphics is a unique variant of Hybrid SLI that works with Intel and Nvidia GPUs and focuses on Hybrid Power. There are two extra files unique to Hybrid Graphics notebooks, these files are nvtmmhyb.dll and nvBridge_int.kmd. If you take a look at some driver packages you will find a similar file nvBridge.kmd, this is NOT the same as nvBridge_int.kmd as _int stands for Intel which is what makes this specific file unique. I like to call these two files the switching files as they are the ones that seem to be key for the hybrid switching ability on our hybrid graphics notebooks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, i have a benq s42, is there any hybrid drivers for windows vista x64 bit?

I have 4 gig ram do id like to use this over the 32bit version!

Just install from your default graphics driver from 32bit windows

actually either 32 or 64 u can use the same driver. :)

or download from benQ site..

Edited by K-ROLE

Guest RenegadeRevolution

Hey

I am in a similar situation with my S42, quite annoying really, I did try to update mine but figured the hybrid graphics were to blame, was wondering whether keeping it on power save mode (Intel GMA) will updating the drivers might help. I might try it later to day and if I do will tell you how it goes. Another option would be to remove both the Intel GMA drivers and the NVIDIA drivers, then doing updating both of them with your hybrid driver master set. Hmmmm, quite a difficult problem.

Yeah it seems to be quite the unique situation you BenQ users are in. I know for us Vaio Z users we have to have it switched to Speed/Performance before we can install the hybrid drivers. I am quite perplexed as to why it wouldn't work. I am going to package a new 32-Bit Vista set for you guys to test again. I have already packaged a newer 64-Bit BenQ package (Based on 185.26) together that Gibbz is trying out. The 32-Bit drivers should take a lot less work to actually get functioning properly.

EDIT:

32-Bit 185.20/1659 BenQ Hybrid Graphics Drivers [FOR TESTING]

64-Bit 185.26/1659 BenQ Hybrid Graphics Drivers [FOR TESTING]

Recommended Install Method:

64-Bit users be sure to activate test mode and test sign the drivers before installing.

Extract the drivers to a location of your choosing.

Switch to performance mode.

Use the manual install method. Device Manager (Control Panel -> Device Manager) -> Right click nvidia driver and choose "update driver software" click "browse my computer.." then click "let me pick.." and finally "Have disk" and point to the location you extracted the drivers. You should see "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT [Nautis 185.20]" on the list. click next to install. This will install both nvidia and intel drivers at the same time. Reboot and enjoy.

If you have any problems at all let me know. Lets see if we can work through them and get you guys some updated drivers.

Edited by Nautis1100

Hey,

Thanks man, am about to try the update shortly.

Good stuff, let us know how it goes. If you have any problems let me know so we can fix it.

Guest RenegadeRevolution

Hey,

Tried updating the drivers, had a few problems, upon installing the drivers and rebooting I was told that they were not working due to Code 31. So I just reinstalled my old ones and they are working fine, apparently there are some BenQ drivers, only slightly updated but it might worth be looking how they install and then try to come up with a new installation.

Thanks for your help,

-RR

P.S. It may just be me that is at fault, there was some confusion when installing the drivers, rather than installing them on top of the current ones, I accidentally installed 1.86 or something, then tried to install your drivers on top of that. If you can provide a more in depth instruction guide that would be great!

Hey,

Tried updating the drivers, had a few problems, upon installing the drivers and rebooting I was told that they were not working due to Code 31. So I just reinstalled my old ones and they are working fine, apparently there are some BenQ drivers, only slightly updated but it might worth be looking how they install and then try to come up with a new installation.

Thanks for your help,

-RR

P.S. It may just be me that is at fault, there was some confusion when installing the drivers, rather than installing them on top of the current ones, I accidentally installed 1.86 or something, then tried to install your drivers on top of that. If you can provide a more in depth instruction guide that would be great!

Out of curiosity.. which version of windows are you using? (32bit or 64bit)

The latest official BenQ drivers for 32-Bit I have found are v7.15.11.7584 (or 175.84)

Edited by Nautis1100

try to install 64-Bit 185.26/1659 but unsuccessful with the error code39, follow exactly the step stated and turn on test mode but still failed.

I am using the 32 bit version of windows. I would be happy to test them again for you if that would help.

I am sure you will have the same issue if you test them again. Let me see if I can get something better together.

try to install 64-Bit 185.26/1659 but unsuccessful with the error code39, follow exactly the step stated and turn on test mode but still failed.

I am not sure why you would be getting Code 39 (The driver may be corrupted or missing.) You may want to try reinstalling and/or redownloading the driver.

I will put a couple of new updated 32/64bit packages together to try.

--

I am really perplexed as to why these drivers will not work for you folks. There must be a quirk somewhere.

The latest "Official" Vista 32-bit Hybrid Graphics drivers I have found for BenQ S42 are 175.84 (or v7.15.11.7584) and these are what I used as the basis for the drivers above. Are these the latest you all have?

I have not found any "Official" Vista 64-bit drivers for BenQ unfortunately and they seem to be the only Hybrid Graphics notebook company that has not released official ones yet.

The following is a list of drivers I have found for Hybrid Graphics notebooks:

32-Bit Drivers

185.20 - Nvidia/Unofficial

175.84 - BenQ

175.41 - BenQ

175.37 - Fujitsu

174.49 - Sony

174.47 - Fujitsu

64-Bit Drivers

185.26 - Fujitsu

185.20 - Nvidia/Unofficial

175.37 - Fujitsu

174.49 - Sony

174.47 - Fujitsu

The interesting thing here is that I can get all of the drivers listed above working on my Vaio Z.

dont get down hearted it was difficult for me too when i first started, keep it up and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

best of luck.

dont get down hearted it was difficult for me too when i first started, keep it up and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

best of luck.

Thanks Dox. Yeah it is frustrating, lets hope the persistence pays off in the end. :)

--

If any of you 32-bit BenQ users would like to test something for me I would be most appreciative. I have packaged the 175.37 drivers from Fujitsu with an INF that should work for your BenQ. I know this package is older than the latest official BenQ drivers released, I am checking to see if any other drivers will work. The official BenQ 175.84 drivers to upgrade back to are here if you need them. I am also curious what bios version is being used.

Edited by Nautis1100

Guest submarine
Thanks Dox. Yeah it is frustrating, lets hope the persistence pays off in the end. :)

--

If any of you 32-bit BenQ users would like to test something for me I would be most appreciative. I have packaged the 175.37 drivers from Fujitsu with an INF that should work for your BenQ. I know this package is older than the latest official BenQ drivers released, I am checking to see if any other drivers will work. The official BenQ 175.84 drivers to upgrade back to are here if you need them. I am also curious what bios version is being used.

hello,

I have tried the fujitsu drivers and i works correctly as far as i can tell.

Anyway just to provide more information, I'm using 32bit vista home premium and i recently upgraded my bios from V1.08 to V1.16 but i makes no difference. I have tried your drivers you have linked earlier in the thread but it doesn't work.

Oh and if anyone is interested the V1.16 bios for S42 is from ftp://211.78.86.210/digital_media/joybook...6(2.0.0.11).zip

GoodLuck!

hello,

I have tried the fujitsu drivers and i works correctly as far as i can tell.

Anyway just to provide more information, I'm using 32bit vista home premium and i recently upgraded my bios from V1.08 to V1.16 but i makes no difference. I have tried your drivers you have linked earlier in the thread but it doesn't work.

Oh and if anyone is interested the V1.16 bios for S42 is from ftp://211.78.86.210/digital_media/joybook...6(2.0.0.11).zip

GoodLuck!

Thank you so much for doing the test and providing the information you have. The information you provided will hopefully help in tracking down why the S42 will not work with the driver provided earlier but the Vaio Z will. Can anyone else confirm that old Fujitsu driver works for them?