LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia Geoforce 9800m GTS

crosscowboy

Hello, I recently purchased my Gateway Laptop from Best buy and it came with the 9800m gts card. After trying out my new toy with World of Warcraft and CoH, and Civ 4, I found out that there is something not quite right going on. I suffered from lockups and crashes and strange dots everywhere as I played. There was no time to them, as sometimes I could go for a few mintues to a few hours then boom. I found this site and started thinking it was a driver isssue. So I downloaded the newest driver at the time 181.20. Didnt help. So i started going down the line...downloading drivers and trying them out. Finally got to 179.28 and the games would run though a bit slow. (edit well it did and now that driver doesnt seem to be working well). I searched their forums and other places, and there seems to be no answer as to why I and others have this problem. Some blame Vista, some the card, some the drivers, others say power supply, over heating and on, and on, and on. Im not a tech person, and when a problem like this is out there its very frustrating. Im hoping that someone here may have an idea or two about what I can try. Im downloading another driver 178.15 and will try that. Ive even gone back to BB and told them and they are aware of the problem, but have no answers, which i thought was kinda nuts...since this is suppose to be a gaming laptop, but I cant really game!! Strangely my home puters have no problems, and im not sure why a laptop would be different(but then again im not a computer tech...just like to play games). If you need information from me to post, let me know where to find it and I will.

Do you have some cooling pad under your notebook? I dont think its related to drivers, i used all you mentioned and never any problems {playing WOW all the time}.

Download dox modified drivers and check temperatures over Everest Ultimate {sensors}

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...e-Edition.shtml

Are you overclocking the memories? I got similar issues when I was overclocking the memories on my 9800M GTX. Everything above 860 Mhz makes them behave wierdly, randomly crashing even in Aero.

It may be the drivers. I have that laptop, but I haven't played those games on it. I have played Fallout 3, GTA IV, F.E.A.R. 2, and Dead Space on here with only running into a texture issue in Fallout once. I'm running the 185.20 drivers because almost every other version I find either isn't stable or doesn't work with newer games. I had the same problem on my Inspiron 1520 with an 8600GT.

I do typically use a cooling pad when I play though, so there may be a heat issue, although I haven't noticed one when I played without it. I've also added another hard drive and upgraded the CPU to a T9600, so I would think mine should have more heat problems.

Edited by Korn1699

I do have the cooling plate and been using that anytime I game. I dont know if Im overclocking my card or not. If so I certainly didnt do it. I dont even know how you would haha. Strange how you could use those drivers and if I do...boom crash out. Maybe I shouldnt blame the drivers, I dont know, just with my limited experience it seems like them. I did install the 178.15 driver and now 2 days later not one single crash!! I prolly shouldnt even have said that, but oh well haha.

• 4 months later...

I just bought a gateway fx ms2252 on ebay but i dont really know the specs other than it has the 2.2ghz processor and 4gb ram.. At first, from the little information i got, i deduced that it could not be the older p-68xx series notebook so it must be closer to the p-78xx series and that is based on the processor info alone.. i am assuming it has the P8400 c2d. I saw here where "crosscowboy" has one of these, i would like to know what the specs are on his just to help me understand what it is i bought.. I am really anxious and the laptop has not even shipped yet. I believe it is the same as the p-7805u but i would love some clarification..

Thank you guys for your help in advance :)