LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem - driver for nvidia geforce 8600M GS

NoTNeK

I have an Alienware m5500, and i recently had to get a new video card because my old one broke. The video card i got now is a nVidia GeForce 8600M GS, but the problem I'm having is with my display driver. I'll try to install new new drivers and i get error messages such as:

"Setup detected that the operating system in use is not windows. this setup program and its associated drivers are designed to run only on windows. The installation will be terminated"

or

"Setup detected that the operating system in use is not Windows Vista [32-bit]. This setup program and its associated drivers are designated to run only on Windows Vista [32-bit]. The installation will be terminated."

any ideas?

Guest Guest

What OS do you use? x64 or x86?

Download the newest appropriate driver ( WHQL doesn't matter ) and optionally the modified INF.

If it doesn't work: Do you use a modified Windows?

i use a x32

and it still doesn't work

note: i haven't done any modding to my windows.

edit: i got a new error saying, "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

Edited by NoTNeK

• 2 weeks later...

If you didn't restore your system before you put the new card in make sure you strip your driver off system from old card, could be causing a conflict. Also try to do a force install of one of the 8600M drivers instead of attempting to let windows do it for you.