LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DV6560EL Nvidia 8400m gs driver disappearence

Guest Riker666

Guest Riker666

Hi.

I have a hp dv6560el with a 8400m gs, downgraded to xp. It worked clockwork for over a year, I even reformatted once and I was able to reinstall everything without problems.

Yesterday, after a reboot, the video card stopped being recognized as a 8400 and I cannot reinstall it. Windows doesn't find anything. I tried the latest drivers from here and from the nvidia site, but the setup refuses to start. It works only rebooting in safe mode, but then it crashes saying that it can't find compatible hardware.

I thought that could be a virus or something, but avast nor spybot have found anything.

I can use my laptop, but it's frustrating because the scrolling is slow and laggy as hell and I can't even watch a movie. I don't think it's a hardware problem, since I would not be able to use it I guess.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried system restore?

Guest Riker666

I don't know how to do it, and I think I never created the restore point. But I managed to install it again by choosing manually the driver from the list of those found here. It seems alright, the only thing is that it's not listed as 8400M GS but as 8500 GS in system information (but M in the nvidia control panel). Can it be a problem?