LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Choppy Video?

Zyrb

I am having problems playing games or watching videos. Videos will run well, then chop. I am not really sure what to do.

Dell XPS M1730 is the computer type, Intel® Core?2 Duo CPU, T8300 @ 2.40 Ghz 2GB DDR2 Ram, GeForce 8700M GT Graphics card.

Recently I had a problem with the system and had to do a full wipe and reformat of it, and when it came back the Graphics card seemed to have been set back to the lowest clocked settings and had to do what I could to find drivers for it. The current driver version I have installed is 6.14.11.7948. I was wondering if perhaps someone could help me. The problem is, I am an avid gamer, Warhammer, World of Warcraft, and before the reformat the system was running really well, and there was almost no frame-rate loss, ect. Now, I can't even do simple things without terrible loss of frame-rate, suggestions. The current settings for the card is: 721 Core Clock/ 1442 Shader Clock / 943 Memory Clock.

Sorry for all the info, if you need anything else, please let me know.

Have you installed your chipset drivers?

What do you mean by simple things and what are you experiencing? "Frame rate loss" is not a term that makes sense.

An 8700M should be 625/1250/800 by default.

Check your temps.

change to default clocks see if that helps, sometimes the G84 cores can heat up and downclock itself, so that maybe the case.

Frame Rate Loss being, Screen Lag, choppy video. Jumping, skipping portions. I am sorry if it wasn't clear. Not my intent. And I had them set at defaults and it didn't seem to work, so I over-clocked them. Temp hasn't been a problem either. And yes, that was one of the first things I did was get my chipset.

Screen lag under what circumstances? Just using windows or gaming?

It almost sounds as if you are describing the nvidia driver not working at all, as if using only the vista generic one.

You need to describe the symptoms better still and what you have checked and tried already.

However...

Make sure Powermizer is off. App for doing that here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=23114

Run GPUz whilst doing different things and see what the clocks at that moment are.

You can monitor that in Rivatuner as well and force performance mode instead.

It has no problems until it hits a high graphical spot. It seems to almost have a problem rendering textures in Warhammer. I have tried, re-downloading the chipsets, new drivers. Over-clocking it to see better visuals. It has a problem streaming/playing videos as well. The regular windows seems fine for the most part, except when watching movies. it seems to be jumpy, skipping sections. This is my first time, trying to describe the problem. So I apologize if I am just repeating myself. I have been using Rivatuner to try and find out what settings work best.

Edit: Also when I set it back to standard settings on the clocks and such for the graphics card, it seemed to lose performance.

Edited by Zyrb

Well you don't say what your max temps are so can't comment on that.

You don't say what your working clocks are so I can't comment on that either.

Saying that turning off the overclock reduces performance is stating the obvious.

If you are having problems then fix them before you consider pushing the hardware beyond its defaults.

It could be your problem is with the hard drive. You don't say why you had to reformat.

Check what mode your hard drive is running in, and run an error and speed check with a prog like HD Tune, to eliminate that possibility.

I don't know ho to see what my working clocks are. I had to reformat due to virus that had locked down my system.

And I will DL HD Tune to see what it does. Thank you Edit: Error check came back clean, and the average speed was 39.4Mbs

Also how would I check what mode it is running in?

Edited by Zyrb

I don't know ho to see what my working clocks are.
Run GPUz whilst doing different things and see what the clocks at that moment are ... You can monitor that in Rivatuner as well

That is to find out what the clocks are when you are actually running a game, and have been doing for enough time for the slowdown to happen. You'll have to Alt+Tab out using the GPUz method, whereas Rivatuner can monitor and present a history, or display onscreen during the game, but you might find the first method easier.

Your hard drive speed seems ok. I would guess you're using a 5400rpm model that is performing as it should and not contributing to this.

You can check the transfer mode in the device manager btw.

You haven't said yet what your gpu temp is when gaming (there is a link to HW Monitor on that list) . Knowing this and the clock speed during gaming we can tell better what the problem might be.

Have you disabled powermizer?

Also have you tried uninstalling the driver, using driver sweeper in safe mode, and then replacing it with Dox's 182.06?

Transfer type is DMA, GPU temp normally is 58C, while static.

Going to open up nVidia Moniter, and leave the Temp up while I get on a game.

Temp on the GPU while gaming on Warhammer Highest: 75C Lowest 57C

Getting Clock times now. THe same, barely fluxuate at all

Sorry, this is the first time really having such a problem. Sorry to be a bother and all.

Edited by Zyrb

It doesn't seem to be too hot then.

Just waiting to know what those clocks are, if you have disabled powermizer and if you have replaced the driver as described above.

2009-03-12 20:23:03 , 721.0 , 943.0 , 69.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-12 20:23:04 , 721.0 , 943.0 , 70.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-12 20:23:05 , 721.0 , 943.0 , 70.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-12 20:23:06 , 721.0 , 943.0 , 70.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-12 20:23:07 , 721.0 , 943.0 , 70.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-12 20:23:08 , 721.0 , 943.0 , 70.0 , 100 ,

Those are are the clock times, as I said they don't even fulx at all. I replaced the drivers, and I do not have powermizer. That I am aware of.

You don't say what you were doing with it at those times.

You said you were using 179.48, which has powermizer enabled, and you haven't said whether you replaced it with Dox's 182.05 and have been in safe mode with driver sweeper, so I don't know where you stand now.

Also you have continued to overclock it.

I don't think you are willing to take advice, or understand what you're doing when I have explained, so I have to leave this thread before I start getting annoyed.

That was clocked during Warhammer, in a PVP enviroment. I have reset the clocks to the default setting. I replaced the drivers with Dox's 182.05 and did the safe-mode driver sweep. And the reason I said I didn't know I had powermizer enabled, is because I do not know. I do not know how to check that. I have told you time and time again that this is my first time doing such a thing. I am sorry if it is difficult, but I am trying my best.

Edit: New Times during Warhammer PVP

2009-03-13 14:51:05 , 625.0 , 800.0 , 69.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-13 14:51:06 , 625.0 , 800.0 , 69.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-13 14:51:07 , 625.0 , 800.0 , 69.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-13 14:51:08 , 625.0 , 800.0 , 69.0 , 100 ,

2009-03-13 14:51:09 , 625.0 , 800.0 , 69.0 , 100 ,

Edited by Zyrb

It doesn't matter if you are inexperienced, it's about communicating effectively enough.

So how is video play back now? What is the source of the video?

As nothing has shown up yet as causing the problem, I'm thinking it could be something in background that is hogging the CPU maybe.

Are there any other clues you can give about what is different with your before and after setup?

Is it always internet related what you are having a problem with?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, sorry for the wait but I have updates.

I talked with Dell about their warrentys and mind you. I want tay. slap them in the face. But anyway, there are other things on my mind.

My BIOS was reset via remote access with Dell and then the video seemed to work for a while. A few days later however the video seemed to go choppy again. I went home, from a friends house. Worked fine, left to go to a friends agian, and hang out. Again, choppy video. So I have no idea if that helps. x.x;

Found out, that the problem stemmed from the AC Adapter going out, or some such bulls***. I get an error code, and the comp starts running slower. Suggestions?