LaptopVideo2Go Forums

IE8 Final Released

Galdere

Not the browser of choice for many of us, but still worth updating.

Make sure you uninstall any beta\release candidates first.

Download

Err... no.

Like I said it's not the main choice for many, but until Win 7 we are stuck with it, and there situations where you have no choice but to use it.

If you don't get that, the joke is on you mate. :)

hahaha IE8, nice joke man...definitely not

Obviously hasn't ever been to MSUpdate with a non MS browser :)

Hmmm dam IE8 seems to load pages hella fast but some text are too small and some sites are laggy even though it loads fast. Like when you scroll it goes slow.

Guest Guest
Obviously hasn't ever been to MSUpdate with a non MS browser :)

MSUpdate ????? Never heard of it ;-) Updates are always desactivated on my lap, i so hate this continuous background loading !!! brrrrrrrr !

Guest Entree

I feel like the only person here that likes Internet Explorer. :/

Never had any problems with it, nor do I use the advanced features of other browsers, like the addons of Firefox (such as NoScript and AdBlock).

IE seems so simple, and my first experience with IE8 is really pleasant! :)

Well since Internet Explorer is pretty much the lowest common denominator for web browsers, it nice to see the low bar move so far up. Comparing IE8 to something like IE6 (which a lot of people still use) is night and day. It is nice to see Microsoft moving further on the security and standards front. When developers don't have to focus so much on the nonstandard low end, everything should improve.

Edited by Nautis1100

All Microsoft does is just copy all the features from real browsers like Firefox and Opera.

Opera is a real browser? At least IE can upgrade. I have a couple machines with Opera for web testing, and it just stopped letting me update it anymore...kind of like the early firefox releases...

Microsoft have only themselves to blame for loosing their dominance in the browser marketplace. Now they're in the difficult position of providing people with reasons why they should use IE8 over the competition, and given they're competing against Firefox, Chrome, Opera and (to a lesser extent) Safari, there's not much they can implement that isn't already available elsewhere.

Edited by Shakey_Jake33

Microsoft still dominates all other browsers... They just are in the 60-80% range depending on what stats you look at. Firefox is basically the rest, with a few percent for Opera, Chrome, and Safari combined.

64% share is hardly domination, given what they held in 2004, and how much Firefox's market share has increased. The introduction of Chrome is going to make things worse for them. Firefox is a name that is in the public consciousness, which is a disaster for a company like Microsoft that relies on people being ignorant about alternatives that aren't packed inside the OS.

And lets not forget, Microsoft consider Google their biggest threat. Obviously Google are behind Chrome, but they put a heavy amount of R&D and financial support behind Firefox, too.

Firefox came out at the end of 2004...it was mostly just IE then.. The first year or so was a lot of bad releases...like you may not be able to upgrade without reinstalling windows... The only reason I use it is that there is one less tab to get to the search box, there are scrolling tabs, and spellcheck. Add-ons are nice, but a lot of them have an IE equivalent. It crashes a lot more for me than IE, and can randomly use up over a GB of memory... The biggest strength is being cross platform and rendering close across patterns.

Chrome isn't that good. Just because it is made by google, doesn't mean anything...they have had a lot of big projects that were going to be the next big thing, but ended up as a beta forever or ending all together..not saying microsoft hasn't had the same..

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Chrome and Safari are fast, but the extensions are why Firefox wins.

FutureMark have a browser benchmark now called Peacekeeper:

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/

IE8 is great. I'm using it now.

I've tried all the other browsers and nothing works as well as IE for me.

Number 8 has loads of really handy new stuff too that I haven't heard of on firefox or any other competitor. I won't waste my time writing them all out here. Do yourself a little research over at http://www.microsoft.com/ie8 to see what's new.

Guest to_frosty
IE8 is great. I'm using it now.

I've tried all the other browsers and nothing works as well as IE for me.

Number 8 has loads of really handy new stuff too that I haven't heard of on firefox or any other competitor. I won't waste my time writing them all out here. Do yourself a little research over at http://www.microsoft.com/ie8 to see what's new.

IE8 Activities for Firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6777

more: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/se...ie8&cat=all

No browser passes the acid 3 test, they are not expected to currently, or there would be no point in its purpose to test standards not yet in use.

IE8 can get a full pass on the acid 2 test. Other browsers do better on a3, but IE has been made more standards compliant.

It's not a test that judges anything very meaningful at the moment.

EDIT: Google Chrome beta 2.0.170.0 does give me 100/100 with a link test failed, so I should say no release build does at the moment.

The Safari beta that came out a week or two ago also scored 100/100 on acid3 for me.

The lastest build of opera 10.0 alpha also gave me 100/100 on acid3

I upgraded my IE7 to IE8 however i will still use firefox over IE8. All my addons and the fact ALL my books are stored on a server and not on my computer makes reformatting a whole lot better.

Firefox is so much faster than IE8 also if you know how to make it faster. (Google is your friend)

That aside, IE8 looks nice but i still wont use it over Firefox where im more secure. Noscript ftw.

It's a shame ie7pro's adblocker doesn't work with it for when I have to use it.

AdBlock Plus and NoScript are two of the main reasons Firefox wins.

3.1 looks like it will be faster still, to compare with Chrome\Safari.