LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem FSC Xi 1546 and 8600GT 512

Guest Elbit

Guest Elbit

First sorry for the double post. I first posted it on the wrong topic :-(

hello everybody.

I am trying to run a 8600GT 512Mb on my Xi 1546 with now luck. The notebook hangs on powerup loop :-(

@facey (if you are around there) :-)

I read you got the xi 1546 running with the 8600GT 512MB? What hardware do you have?

I have FSC Xi 1546 with T7600 CPU and 2 x 2 GB DDR2-667

I tried following BIOS:

Alienware 1.19W (2x 2 GB RAM)

Alienware 2.07w (2 x 2GB RAM)

Alienware 2.06 (1x 2 GB RAM)

Nothing worked: powerup loop

The only BIOS I didn't try was uniwill oem 2.03, but isn't that similar to the Alienware 2.06?

At the moment I have a HD 3650 DDR3 256 with Alienware 1.19w

Any hints? You think the card is defect?

Help would be apreciated.

Thx

you sure the video card's bios is compatible with the bios you have tested with? keep the HD3650 anyways, it has more potential then 8600m gt

Guest Elbit

Hmm, about the compatibility I am not sure but for the stick on the card it should be a ACER card.

I know the performance of hd 3650 ist better than the 8600GT but I would like to install OSx86 and this card is not supported (only on toshiba laptops), NVIDIA cards are supported :-(

I am thinking of trying the 9600M GT GDDR3 instead...

• 4 weeks later...

to Guest_Elbit_* :

How do you manage to install osx86 on amilo notebook? I have Amilo Xi 1554 and I'm trying that for years... with no luck. Recently I found that it's possible to install it on HDD connected instead of DVD rom drive only... Is that true? Is that the only way how to run OSX86 natively on SATA VIA VT6421 chipset???

Anyway... I just ordered HD3650 + 4GB RAM for my machine... So will come back here with .... good new hopefully. I hope it's not too difficult to install NEW graphic card.

Also would like to ask... Is it worth it to upgrade main CPU? There is 2.0Ghz at the moment and I read on some other forum that it should be possible to change the CPU for 2.33 GHz and even overclock it to 2.66 GHz :-) Is anybody experienced with that?

Thanks for help in advance

to Guest_Elbit_* :

How do you manage to install osx86 on amilo notebook? I have Amilo Xi 1554 and I'm trying that for years... with no luck. Recently I found that it's possible to install it on HDD connected instead of DVD rom drive only... Is that true? Is that the only way how to run OSX86 natively on SATA VIA VT6421 chipset???

Anyway... I just ordered HD3650 + 4GB RAM for my machine... So will come back here with .... good new hopefully. I hope it's not too difficult to install NEW graphic card.

Also would like to ask... Is it worth it to upgrade main CPU? There is 2.0Ghz at the moment and I read on some other forum that it should be possible to change the CPU for 2.33 GHz and even overclock it to 2.66 GHz :-) Is anybody experienced with that?

Thanks for help in advance

Hi

1) It is not possible to run OSx86 native on VIA VT6421. This chipset is not supported and I doubt it will ever be. Yes, the only possibility is to replace the DVD-Drive with a HDD-caddy (I have one with a SATA HDD, there are both ATA und SATA versions) and install to it. Your other SATA HDDs will not be seen by OSx86 for the said reasons.

2) The information I have is that HD3650 is only supported with OSx86 with Toshiba lappies (though you get it running but not with full support. For OSx86 the best will be an NVIDIA card, e.g., 8600 or 9600, these cards are fully supported by OSx86

If you replace the original X1800 with the HD3650 you will have to dremel your heatsink (as shown on the mxm-upgrade homepage) or your new card will not properly fit.

3) Yes, I have replaced my CPU with a 7600G, this is a unlocked CPU and if you have AW 1.19W BIOS installed you can OC it to 2.66 without problems. This "special" CPU was e.g. sold with some Dell Lappies, I bought mine by eBay. With the normal T7600 you will not be able to OC, so it will run at normal speed @ 2.33

Edited by Elbit

And is it possible to install OSX86 to usb? I managed that but Amilo Xi1554 wont boot from that disk... Why?

And is it possible to install OSX86 to usb? I managed that but Amilo Xi1554 wont boot from that disk... Why?

Yes, it is possible to boot osx86 from USB Drive, look, e.g., at the InsanelyMac Forums for guides

• 7 months later...