LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FSC Xi 1546 and 9600M GT DDR3 512

Guest Elbit

Guest Elbit

Hello everybody,

I am still tryind to find "the best" card for my "tuned" Xi 1546 and I would need some help on some issues before going to the next round :)

My hardware at the moment:

FSC Xi 1546 with AW 1.19W

T7600 (it will be replaced with T7600G for overclocking in the next days) :unsure:

2 x 2GB DDR2-667

HD 3650 GDDR3 256

As I posted in another thread, I would like to change to a NVIDIA card (as HD 3650 is not supported on OSx86 on non Toshiba Notebooks :) ). After some research I found that the 9600M GT DDR2 512 would be a good choice as the 8600M GT would result in a lost of performance.

Apart for the starup issues mencioned in other threads (30 sec delay with warning beeps) I couldn't find exact information for my hardware combination (sorry if this was already posted somewhere).

The card I ordered seems to have an ACER BIOS.

So here my questions:

1. Will AW 1.19W work with the 9600M GT DDR3 512, 4GB RAM and T7600G, and if not, which BIOS will work? Although the AW 2.07 supports 4GB RAM, I am not sure if it will support T7600G (overclockable)

2. Did anyone get the FSC Xi 1546 working with this card and, if so, with what BIOS, vBIOS, CPU, RAM? :P

I would glad for any help and any infos you could share.

Thx!

well i think you should try to find a GF 9650M GT its a little better and it is MXM-II . just this suggestion :) .

Thx , Pistino01

Guest Elbit
well i think you should try to find a GF 9650M GT its a little better and it is MXM-II . just this suggestion :) .

Thx , Pistino01

you think the 9650M GT will work with xi 1546?

If the 9600M GT has already these reported issues...

If I get the 9600 working, I think I will be able to get the performance of the 9650 by overclocking it :-)

Guest Michael

Hi,

I know this tried isn't about upgrading RAM, but I been trying to figure out how to get my FSC xi 1546 to work with 2x2GB RAM. Until now I haven't found a way, but I can see that you are running with the mentioned configuration. Can you descibe how?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Hi,

I know this tried isn't about upgrading RAM, but I been trying to figure out how to get my FSC xi 1546 to work with 2x2GB RAM. Until now I haven't found a way, but I can see that you are running with the mentioned configuration. Can you descibe how?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Is your problem only how to run 4GB on FSC xi1546 or that you have problems with 4GB and your card?

You have to replace the original FSC BIOS with the Alienware 1.19W BIOS. Then you may install 2 x 2GB DDR2-667, although only 3,3 GB are used (of couse only if you have a 64bit OS; 32bit OS cannot use more than 2GB, even if you have installed 4GB).

If you never flashed the Alienware BIOS, REMOVE ALL THE PASSWORDS existing in your FSC BIOS before you do it otherwise you will be locked out and cannot start your notebook.

Google a bit, there are lots of information about it.

There are some people reporting problems with AW1.19w and 8600 cards or cards with 512 MB VRAM. I can tell you with HD 3650 GDDR3 256 it works.

Guest Michael

Thanks,

I "only" want to upgrade the RAM, but you mentioned a very interesting thing. As I understand it, it's only when you're running XP64, that you can utilize 4GB RAM. I run XP32, and then it's limited to 2GB RAM (I been running that for a long time). Is that correct?

Michael

Thanks,

I "only" want to upgrade the RAM, but you mentioned a very interesting thing. As I understand it, it's only when you're running XP64, that you can utilize 4GB RAM. I run XP32, and then it's limited to 2GB RAM (I been running that for a long time). Is that correct?

Michael

Yes, 32Bit OS can only alocate 2GB RAM, no matter how much you have installed.

By the way, my graphic card is ATI Mobility Radeon X1800. Not the same as you.

X1800 is the original card that cames with xi 1546 (it was my original card too before I replaced it with the HD 3650). you can install 4GB with that card if you replace the BIOS from FSC with the AW 1.19w, though with the mencioned restrictions (only 2GB can be used if you have a 32bit OS, and only 3,3GB if you use 64bit OS)

Edited by Elbit

Guest Michael

Just to be sure about the order. First I flash the new bios, then I install the new 64bit operation system, right?

If I do it like mentioned above, do I then have to install/find new drivers for e.g. soundcard, harddisks, etc. ?

Regards,

Michael

Just to be sure about the order. First I flash the new bios, then I install the new 64bit operation system, right?

If I do it like mentioned above, do I then have to install/find new drivers for e.g. soundcard, harddisks, etc. ?

Regards,

Michael

In this Order:

1. get Alienware BIOS 1.19w (is is an ISO file that you burn on a boot CD)

2. Before flashing the AW Bios REMOVE ALL your existing Passwords in your FSC BIOS otherwise you will be locked out after you have flashed the AW bios

3. Boot from the CD you burned and type "runme". Wait that it finishes flashing. You will be informed when it is finished. Reboot.

4. If you want to use more that 2 GB RAM you have to install a 64bit OS (XP, Vista, etc.)

5. For what I recall Vista SP1 will be able to detect all your hardware and install the drivers without the need of extra drivers.

6. If you install an ATI card you may replace the drivers from MS with the Radeon drivers from ATI (you have to moddify they though for the mobility cards).

That's it. Enjoy.

Again, in my opinion the best card for the xi 1546 is the HD 3650 GDDR3 256. It works without problems and has a good performance.

I have this one:

post-37502-1239051003_thumb.gif

Edited by Elbit