LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Require 8800M GTX Bios

Mur

I am in need of a new video bios because my video card constantly crashes and at times gives me the blue screen of death. I have a 8800M GTX with a clevo chassis ( M570RU ) the bios number is 62.92.19.00.A3 date 2007/11/07.

If you happen to have this bios on your computer i have a guide to make a backup of your bios.

----

Download the NVflash utulity

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/nVFlash.shtml

Open command prompt (start -> run -> cmd)

move to the folder where you put the utility

type nvflash -b backup.rom

----

Edited by Mur

Here is the latest that I found on my laptop. Hope it helps.

You can also flash the 8800M with a 9800M GT BIOS.

8800MGTX_015.rar

thanks guys

I don't know if i am doing something wrong but it wont update

--------------------

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.67)

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: GeForce 8800M GTX (10DE,060C,1558,0573) H:NRM B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Device ID (0000.0000)

does not match adapter PCI Device ID (10DE.060C).

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (616E.2E6C)

does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1558.0573).

WARNING: Firmware image Board ID (0000) does not match adapter Board ID (900D).

ERROR: GPU mismatch

--------------------

This happens for every bios i have tried, so what should i do?

Edited by Mur

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ChrisC

Hi Mur, it sounds to me like either a driver or hardware problem rather than vBios. I see you're running Win7 - this has not been released yet and so is beta only - try re-loading Vista or XP and see if you have the same problems - if you do then your graphics card may be on its way out.

If, however, you do want to flash your vBios then the following guide should help - this is a guide only and I DO NOT accept any responsibility if it doesn't work on your system!!

First thing to do is to set your system up to do an automatic blind flash, in case things go wrong:

1. Create a folder on your c: drive called nvf and copy the nvflash program & files into it.

2. Open notepad and type the following:

cd \

cd nvf

nvflash -b testbios.rom

3. Save the notebook file as testflash.bat (change the file type from .txt to all files) - save it to your desktop.

4. Now double click on the testflash.bat icon on your desktop - this should run and save a copy of your bios into the nvf folder called testbios.rom

5. Go to the nvf folder on your hard drive and make sure that the testbios.rom file is there. If it is then you're ready to go.

6. Make yourself a coffee and take a deep breath.

7. Open notepad and type the following:

cd \

cd nvf

nvflash -A -j -4 -5 -6 testbios.rom

8. Save the notebook file as recover.bat, again change it from .txt to all files.

9. Double click the recover.bat icon on your desktop - this will re-flash your card with the original bios - this is just to make sure that everything's working ok. If it runs OK without errors then right click on recover.bat and click on copy.

10. Click on Start / All programs then right click on Startup and click open - this should open the startup folder on your system. Right click in this folder and click Paste - this should paste the recover.bat program into your startup folder. To double check click on Start / All Programs / Startup. You should see the recover.bat program there.

That's it - your system is ready to auto-recover.

You're now ready to flash the new vBios.

To override the warnings and flash your vBios, do as you were doing before, but type nvflash -j -4 -5 -6 [yourbiosname.rom]. This should then go ahead and flash the new vBios. Once it's done restart your system and cross your fingers. If your system starts up normally then you will need to delete the recover.bat file from the startup menu and then re-flash the new vBios again.

Now here's a WARNING!!!!

This auto-recover method will ONLY work if your system reboots to Windows after the new vBios has been flashed. It is possible that Windows will not load after the flash, in which case you are stuck. This is offered as a guide only as to how I re-flash the vBios on my Alienware system - IT MAY NOT WORK ON YOUR SYSTEM AND I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF IT DOES NOT - ONLY use this method as a LAST RESORT.

Guest ChrisC

Forgot to mention - if it does turn out to be your card that is duff - I have an NV 8700M GT for the Clevo M570RU - I know it's a step down from the 8800M GTX but it's better than nothing! - £120

thanks guys

I don't know if i am doing something wrong but it wont update

--------------------

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.67)

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: GeForce 8800M GTX (10DE,060C,1558,0573) H:NRM B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Device ID (0000.0000)

does not match adapter PCI Device ID (10DE.060C).

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (616E.2E6C)

does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1558.0573).

WARNING: Firmware image Board ID (0000) does not match adapter Board ID (900D).

ERROR: GPU mismatch

--------------------

This happens for every bios i have tried, so what should i do?

The only thing that was wrong was you had to use the force flash switches. So instead of:

nvflash blah.rom

You should use this:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 blah.rom

This is referred to as force flasihng. You should only do this when you are certain (or at least pretty sure) the new rom will work on your computer.

The -j switch is for hardware recovery. You ground the subvendor pin on the card to allow you to flash to it regardless of its state. Don't ask me where the subvendor pin is because as far as I know, no ones ever done this. Theoretically though, it would let you recover dead GPU's that cannot be blind flashed. All you would need is the circuit layout.