LaptopVideo2Go Forums

V-bios Nvidia 8400m Gs

Guest steve

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Hello to All!

Would somebody be so kind and upload or eMail me his vBIOS?

The Type of Notebook dont matters - it must be only from a 8400m gs Gpu...

( Flashed by foult my Card with a 8600m gs vBIOS :-()

Im still hoping..

Regards Steve!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bozon

Mi notebook has an 8400m G 128 MB Video card. But i haven't been able to dump the video bios so far. I need the file too to get the NVCAP values for this...

• 2 weeks later...

I probably could help, just need instructions how to get bios out of my 8400m GS, 256 MB DDR2

Edited by overbe

Guest Steve
I probably could help, just need instructions how to get bios out of my 8400m GS, 256 MB DDR2

Hello,

that would be great - its like this:

1. Google for the latest version of nvflash; Download it.

2. Creat a Dos boot disk or a "Dos usb boot stick".

3. Copy your vbios and nvflash on it.

4. Boot from the disk or stick

5. Start nvflash like this: "nvflash.exe backup.rom -4 -5 -6 -A" to backup your vbios.

Regards Steve!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 8400M GS in an Advent 5401. Have tried downloading the BIOS for you guys, but no go.

GPU-Z didn't know how to dump it, and NVFLASH 5.77 reports

EEPROM ID (20,0000) : Unknown
ERROR: Supported EEPROM not found

I'm guessing that this points at it being some kind of ST manufactured EEPROM, but unfortunately not supported by NVFLASH. If you have any more suggestions, I'd be happy to try.

Incidentally...

5. Start nvflash like this: "nvflash.exe backup.rom -4 -5 -6 -A" to backup your vbios.

Looking at the command usage for nvflash, it looks like this should be...

nvflash --save backup.rom

The command listed above seems to be for writing a bios TO the card, and not for reading one?

DT

Guest Guest

Hello,

you have to use this Program in Bios not Windows!

>The command listed above seems to be for writing a bios TO the card, and not for reading one?< it depends on the version you are using..

--b is always for backup and

--f is for flashing an new bios to the card.

Regards Mike!

Hi,

I definitely wasn't running the program under Windows - I had booted direct to MS-Dos from a bootable usb stick. The program was able to detect my card correctly, and it seems was also able to (partially at least) detect the flash on the card, but didn't seem to know how to read that type of flash (is it possible that some cards can't be read at all?)

Thanks for the info about the command line options - I had seen that in the version I was using, either -b or --save were valid for reading from the bios, but not specifying -b or -f appeared to default to writing a bios, but as you say perhaps this varies by version?

Anyway, if there's any other software that might work, let me know and I'll try it.

Cheers

DT

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

i tried several Month ago with nvflash v 5.63 -and it worked for me like this:

Backup:

nvflash.exe backup.rom -4 -5 -6 -A

-----------------------------------

Blindflash:

vflash --list > output1.txt

nvflash -c > output2.txt

nvflash -r > output3.txt

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y [bios].rom > output4.txt

use the line "nvflash -4 -5 -6 -y [biosname].rom" in the autoexec.bat and then youll only have to wait awhile and press 'y' a few times for the card to flash and your computer should reboot on its own

nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y ultra.rom

My flash drive consists of four files..

ultra.rom

nvflash.exe

cwsdpmi.exe

autoexec.bat

These commands generate an output[1-4].txt that will allow you to know what’s happening without physically seeing the screen.

The first command is perhaps the most important. It lets you know whether nvflash recognizes your gpu as nvidia.

The second command checks for compatibility of your eeprom with the particular version of nvflash. Hence, the program may recognize your card as nvidia but still may not be able to tamper with it for sake of compatibility.

The third command will attempt to remove write protect from the card just in case it’s on for some reason.

The fourth command will attempt to force-auto flash and reboot the computer.

Note: If the fourth command did work, the computer would reboot and do everything over and over until you stopped it but in that case you’d have a fixed graphics card and what is there to worry about? Again though, this process should take you about 2-3 min unless you flashed a bios with a different core, in which case, I believe the bios starts instantaneously and you just have to wait for the numlock for about an hour and another 30 min to boot the device.

Regards Mike!