LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Asus a8js GF7700 -> gf9400 (from F8SN)

forevertheuni

So, my graphics card is dead.

I found out that F8SN inside is exactly the same as my a8js's and graphics card is MXM-inverted and even thermal module is the same.

So my next step was to order a gf9500 from a F8SN from asusparts(half the price comparing to the old gf7700).

Accounting that this new graphics card is also from asus, should it work (BIOS) or i'll probably be needing to flash the BIOS? If so can I have an idea how to do it? I'm still waiting for the card but wanted to be ready when it comes.

Thanks

It's not nessecary to flash the bios as a change in video card is automatically picked up by the chipset. The (software) proceedure is pretty much the same as with desktop chips, just reinstall video drivers.

Edited by Au_Xtr3me

Thank you for the reply. You just took a ton out of my chest!! No need for drivers reinstalation since I only use linux..well I have windows but I only installed to see if the problem was linux's!!

I asked about the bios because in Asus bios update files there's one that has: Update VBIOS to version blablalba.

• 1 month later...

so, did you already change go 7700 to 9500m gs??

my 7700 is also dead.. after seeing windows start up with vertical dashed lines and BSOD everytime I instal any drivers. tried checking my ram and still not helping..

planning to get 9500m gs if it does really works..

• 1 month later...
Guest Fujitsu

Hi,

im also interested in the information if it worked. I have a asus a8j, also with broken geforce 7700go but i could repair my graphic card already five times by heating the Nvram until the solder reflows. But I fear that it wont be possible to reflow the card more then 10 times.

I have read that someone already tested a Geforce 9600m in Asus a8j. This card also has the same shape as the 7700go but i didnt work in Asus a8j.

Moreover i have alread tested a Geforce 7300go from Asus a8jc in my asus a8js. Also this card didnt work in my asus a8js even though the 7300go looks 100% like 7700go exept for the fact that two Nvrams and few resistors are missing on the 7300go.

I assume it failed because of Bios.

Is there a possibilty to adapt the Bios/Videobios to the new cards?

It would be great if we would find a solution.

• 1 year later...
Guest jommoner

Hi,

im also interested in the information if it worked. I have a asus a8j, also with broken geforce 7700go but i could repair my graphic card already five times by heating the Nvram until the solder reflows. But I fear that it wont be possible to reflow the card more then 10 times.

I have read that someone already tested a Geforce 9600m in Asus a8j. This card also has the same shape as the 7700go but i didnt work in Asus a8j.

Moreover i have alread tested a Geforce 7300go from Asus a8jc in my asus a8js. Also this card didnt work in my asus a8js even though the 7300go looks 100% like 7700go exept for the fact that two Nvrams and few resistors are missing on the 7300go.

I assume it failed because of Bios.

Is there a possibilty to adapt the Bios/Videobios to the new cards?

It would be great if we would find a solution.

I am currently typing this on my A8JS with my 9650M GT 1GB graphics card installed :)

It required some bios hacking / splicing, but is working fine (and running several degrees cooler than the old Go7700 (which was fully functional).

I will be posting the BIOS up on bios-mods.com in a weeks time when I have fully tested it out, as well as a how-to :P

(I know this is a thread resurrection, but I came across all these threads before I figured out how to do it, so others will probably do so

too! Full DirectX10, OpenGL 3.3 is nice on my old laptop :))

I am currently typing this on my A8JS with my 9650M GT 1GB graphics card installed :)

It required some bios hacking / splicing, but is working fine (and running several degrees cooler than the old Go7700 (which was fully functional).

I will be posting the BIOS up on bios-mods.com in a weeks time when I have fully tested it out, as well as a how-to :P

(I know this is a thread resurrection, but I came across all these threads before I figured out how to do it, so others will probably do so

too! Full DirectX10, OpenGL 3.3 is nice on my old laptop :))

This is great. I've been wanting a gfx upgrade for my A8JS. Please keep us posted with your updates

-filch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jommoner

Here is my tutorial:

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-ASUS-A8JS-VGA-upgrade-Go7700-GF9650M-GT-1GB-and-other-VGA-cards

I will also do a tutorial for the A8JR soon when I get my second GF9650M GT 1GB which is going to go into that :)

I also have a damaged A8JC which I might upgrade to the Go7700 from my A8JS :)

You can send me PMs on bios-mods.com if you need to contact me, or post on the thread I have linked!

Also, *please* be careful buying the right card...... you need the *REVERSE* MXM card (not real MXM), so dont just buy the

first one you see! Remove the panel from your laptop and check which way round the connector goes (or.... look at the

photo I posted in the tutorial above!)

I will check back here later!