LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HD3650 (gddr3/256mb/red) DVI to HDMI Problem

bautile

Hey guys, wasn't sure exactly where to post this so here goes.

After 3 cards, i finally received a working mobility hd 3650 red pcb gddr3 256mb. It's got an hp bios.

Anyway... i've got a problem (obvs). My lappy is the superman special edition alienware currently with 1.19w AW bios, 4gb ram, mobility hd3650, t7600. My old setup, before i got the new card, was the same except with an x1800.

after plugging in and installing drivers, i decided to hook it back up to my old peripheral HW setup... (wireless mouse and keyboard, 5.1 surround, and my 32" 1080p sharp aquos HDTV). The problem is that when i plug in my philips dvi to hdmi cable with the new card, my lappy detects my tv (in ati catalyst event determines the make and model number) but when i tell it to display my desktop onto the tv, it goes through the motions (screen flicker) and my tv just still has a black screen. With my old x1800... it worked fine... any dvi/hdmi/lctv/hdtv whizzes willing to help?

Thanks

flickering results are sometimes related to too high frequencies or resolutions

what are you trying to do?

Laptop-DVI-><dvi-kable-hdmi-><hdmi-tv? right wich resolution and freq? as if it's an transfer problem you won't see anything

(looks like HDCP isn't involved here)

crap... so i lost what i originally typed because i forgot i wasn't signed in... :P anyway...

so the problem is not HP Bios? It is the first two cards are defective?

I don't think they are defective, I think they're just the ones with the HP vbios that doesn't contain any information. I've read that the way to get them functional is to flash them on a machine that can properly use them, i'm assuming some acer's and hp's

flickering results are sometimes related to too high frequencies or resolutions

what are you trying to do?

Laptop-DVI-><dvi-kable-hdmi-><hdmi-tv? right wich resolution and freq? as if it's an transfer problem you won't see anything

(looks like HDCP isn't involved here)

There isn't even flickering of any sort, my lappy just does the "hardware detected" sound and ati catalyst pops up and says "detected dvi attached, in order to get sound you have to plug in a separate audio cable blah blah blah" and when i go to the LCD/HDTV settings in catalyst, it shows two "disabled" icons, one is labeled LCD, one is HDTV and i've tried enabling both and my lappy goes through all the motions, changes resolution/flickers, and then acts as if there is an image displayed... i've extended my desktop and my mouse pointer disappears to the left. i've played with different resolutions, 800x600, 1024x768, 1920x1200, 1366x768 (my old resolution for my tv with my x1800) and no flickering or anything. this is frustrating because in the little display/monitor attached info, it returns the brand of my tv, the model, and the maximum supported res and frequency

I've even tried uninstalling the drivers to see if that would help but nothing. Also, i've read that a good test is to reboot the computer and see if an image pops up on the external monitor during the bios screen because apparently it goes to the default values or something and should show up (this is true because with my old gfx card, i could power on my lappy and close the lid and watch as the alienhead flashed while the bios load bar animates)

I've gotten spoiled and used to my 32" of viewing space and would be very disappointed to have to return/sell this working card because of one unresolved functionality. :)

on a side note... my computer shuts itself down when i try to update the windows experience index score after 2 mins because my gpu core temp shoots up to 120C. normally the gpu idles at 60C and with gaming shoots up only to ~95C... also, i've noticed that if i use the stock windows drivers the gpu is at a constant 95C... i guess the driver has some sort of stepping protocol... :) and i dont know if that shoots up during gaming... who wants to play vg using stock drivers anyway?