LaptopVideo2Go Forums

[Project] Synaptics Advanced Gesture enabler

Discrucio Anima

For those with Synaptics touchpads, I have thought of a method that may overcome Synaptics' hardware lock on advanced gestures. Given that my simple INF mod enabled gestures like Momentum and Chiralmotion (Pinch was not fully developed in v10) on various, most if not all touchpads out there can actually support these gestures at the hardware level.

If you have a Synaptics touchpad and drivers installed (any version), access Control Panel > Mouse > Device Settings > Press Alt-Shift-I for the Diagnostics page > Click on your device Tab and scroll down to the Capabilities value.

1. I lack coding skills, and I am requesting for anyone who can come up with a memory patcher that can modify this value to another value found in other touchpads that have gestures automatically enabled. Another project that uses memory patching (in addition to an extra driver) is TCP-Z at http://deepxw.blogspot.com/

I am requesting specifically for a memory patcher and not a file patcher to avoid modifying Synaptics' files and avoid legal repercussions.

2. If you have a touchpad that supports extra features (eg multi-touch gestures, Pinch gesture) automatically (eg Voodoo Envy, eeePC, etc), please click on "Collect Diagnostics", zip it up and post it here. Or you could just report your touchpad Capabilities value and laptop brand/model.

post-22136-1239534693_thumb.jpg

Edited by Discrucio Anima

I am just looking at my third laptop, Acer TravelMate 2420, the capability # is 220013 this touchpad gives me two finger gestures and 3 finger gestures that is not available on my aspire one.

DELL Vostro 1500 - Synaptics TouchPad V6.3 - no native gesture support.

Installed the modded drivers and the Capabilities string shows: "2200d3"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 9600xt

acer 5930g with windows 7rc my capabilities number is 220023, now i can't use any gestures with any driver, but i need to have it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Toshiba A100-376 (PSAARE)

I'm using the 10.2.4 hacked driver, and I have:

- 2 fingers (8 directions)

- 3 fingers (up & down)

- Momentum

- ChiralMotion Scrolling

(I guess that's only missing pinch...)

Capabilities: 20013

• 3 months later...

Toshiba A100-376 (PSAARE)

I'm using the 10.2.4 hacked driver, and I have:

- 3 fingers (up & down)

- Momentum

- ChiralMotion Scrolling

Capabilities: 20013

sorry my mistake...

I have only 2 and 3 finger gestures (no momentum and chiralmotion) on a dell xps 1330 with capabilities number 220133 with the voodoo drivers (v11 something)

with the modded drivers i get the same number but also chiralmotion and momentum

on a fsc amilo mini with v7.2 synaptics touchpad I get everything (momentum, chiralmotion, 2-3 finger gestures, even pinch) enabled with the voodoo driver (and nothing with the modded driver) and a capabilities number 80220133

another odd thing. On my dell when I install the modded driver I get two finger scrolling and two finger chiralmotion out of the box (not the gesture that scrolls a whole page, real two finger scrolling). On the fsc i cant get that to work, only with twofingerscroll.exe that interferes with pinch... On the dell with the voodoo drivers I still get 2 and 3 finger gestures but no scroll... really odd

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Purgatorio

This is ASUS W3V with

Synaptics V6.1 and

modded driver V10.2.4 delivering

Capabilites 40020013 thereby granting -similar as Guest posted 29 May 2009 - 02:47 PM-

- 3 fingers (up & down)

- Momentum

- ChiralMotion Scrolling

I like to add, that this pad has an additional scrollstrip to the right, which makes it difficult

to hit the right corners or to activate the chiral motion.

I hope for every success for this project, since this version does not seem to scroll firefox.

Purgatorio

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone continued on this?? I had 220023 which has everything except for multi touch gestures (that might be everything for others ;/) I'm using hacked 10.2.4 too... One big thing here is that firefox cannot be supported by this driver, and when everyone gets excited about the ChiralMotion feature, they soon found disappointed when browsing!!

I also found a pattern that people who had capabilities ending with 20013 had all three features, while others don't. Anybody can figure out how these numbers mean to us and how are we supposed to change them?

This is ASUS W3V with

Synaptics V6.1 and

modded driver V10.2.4 delivering

Capabilites 40020013 thereby granting -similar as Guest posted 29 May 2009 - 02:47 PM-

- 3 fingers (up & down)

- Momentum

- ChiralMotion Scrolling

I like to add, that this pad has an additional scrollstrip to the right, which makes it difficult

to hit the right corners or to activate the chiral motion.

I hope for every success for this project, since this version does not seem to scroll firefox.

Purgatorio

• 1 month later...