LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with Atheros AR5007UG AKA TP-LINK model TL - WN422G on Vista X64 !

Guest Hakenz

Guest Hakenz

First I apologize for my english :)

The thing is that I have this wireless usb device on my desktop PC the driver im currently using is the one windows update installed that is version 2.2.0.27 from 07/29/2008.

The problem I have is very simple is not that the device is not working is working but with limited capabilities I believe.

When i try to make an ad hoc network with windows vista x 64 the only security type that is listed on the drop menu is WEP and I want to use WPA2.

On the other hand my brand new laptop next to me has the IntelĀ® Wireless WiFi Link 5100 and when i go to the create an ad hoc network and i click security type i have all the options including WPA2.

Of course if i make a WPA2 Personal network with my laptop when my desktop pc detects the networks it shows this message " The capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network.

The only way i Have to connects my 2 PCs is of course using the outdated WEP.

The question I want to ask is if the driver could be the responsible of not showing the WPA2 security when I try to do the ad hoc network on my desktop PC or could be something else. I just installed a fresh Vista 64 again yesterday and updated all through windows update.

Second question is when the 2 pc are connected through the wep network both shows that are connected at 54Mbbs but when i test transferring a file from one pc to the other the transfer rate oscillates between 900 KB/S and 1 MB/S way behind of the 5-6 MB/S that a 54Mbps ( 54 / 8 = 6.75 MB/S Theory hehe ) network is capable of . Is this a drivers fault too ?

Here is the link of the device im using on my desktop PC as u guys can see it supports all the security types including of course WPA2 , i don't know why i cant setup the network using this security system on vista 64 :)

http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_spe.asp?id=183

Regards Hakenz.

• 1 month later...