LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Amilo 3438 and HD3650 : a new troubleshooting?

horzaborza

Hello everybody, and thank you to exist!

I have a friend with an amilo M3438G. It's Magic Christian, (not the bulgarian one), and he is french, like me. So i'll call him MC.

MC graphic card is almost dead : He can go to windows, and do small things, but if he use 2D accelerator, some artefacts appear, and with 3D, the blue screen of death appears.

Then, MC bought a HD3650 256Mo mxm card at the MXM Upgrade begium site (delivery in a week :) ). Already succefully tested by Kris Verbeeck on this notebook, MC (and I) were dreaming on a perfect installation.

So, we follow the installation description step by step, using dremel for the first and (i guess) not last time. The time to boot came, and we push the buton...

1 The screen stay all black (no bios nor logo)

2 No screen's backlight

3 Hdd activity, and windows boot up sound !

3 MC Cryes (he has sold his son to buy this card, wherease he just has begun to bring back money!)

We tryed without any card : no screen, no hdd, no windows sound, BUT, backlight is on!

We put the old mxm card back, and it works like before. We tried to change the motherboard bios 1.06c=> 1.1, but it failed. I did a bios reset too, same conclusion.

MC is a good guy, so, i mailed Kris Verbeeck to ask for his holy help. But, like with god, more than one week later, no answer comes...

Today is a new day, and it's monday. So, i try a new idea : plug the DVI card into an external monitor, and play with fn+switch buton. No answer, but somes new questions. The new "symptomes" are :

1- the notebook's monitor's backlight turn on! Nothing to read or understang, but the backlight isn't uniform.

2- No video signal received by the external monitor.

So, the new question is now : "hu?"

I don't have more ideas, so, for MC, please help me! I seriously guess i could send the card back to MXM upgrade, but i don't know if MC'son can.

Sorry for my bad english, feel free to ask me texplain another way.

Thank you.

MC and I

update!

I just manage to change the amilo bios with the 1.10C, with no change for the hh3650 symptoms.

Please, help.

new update :

I tried to use a vnc program to see what widows said when he boot with the 3650. tightvnc (the one i used) work perfecly with the old GPU, but, when i switch, there's no screen refrech at all, and a lot of artefacts making screen unusable.

I tried to click everywhere, using alt+tab, cursors, and imagination. I tried to install the driver but i don't think i succeed. During the tests, i reboot many time, and had a WONDERFULL suprise :

The boot logo (amilo one) appears! Badly, the windows boot failed (Blue screen of death and rapid shutdown). At the reboot, the logo was here again, and i managed to boot in safe mode.

I tried to install the ati driver, but some errors message appear, and i interrupted the installation process. , i reboot in normal mode : Blue screen of death again, and after that, i losed any screen display : no bios logo, no windows boot up, ... the same that before this miracle.

Can anyone help, have an idea?

Kris Verbeeck; mxm upgrade, don't replie to mel, and ignore this post. So, i fear there will be no product's return at all... Be angry is usless but i'm very disapointed...

Thanks for your readings

Horzaborza.

New update.

A post for me, by me, and filled by me. :)

1) I have find a way to use the laptop screen : let the amilo without power suply (battery and transfo) for an hour, then make a few boot, and the bios logo appears.

It's wonderfull, and vista work fine on it but:

Each reboot may be the last with sreen on. And after, the only way to put it back is to unplug it for one hour...

It was very anoying so i decide to change the Vbios :

2) I was succefull to change the vbios with the on Kayldera put here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....20&start=20

There is less hang at the bios boot up, but the things stay the same...

Exept for the monitor: sometime catalyst see him, sometime not : i can see the displayed monitor with a red cross on it... strange.

Could you suggest me another vbios, or a wonderfull solution?

Thanks, horzaborza

thank you "guest guest". I don't know why you think it's a good one, but i'll try.

and... I'M NOT ALONE!!! Pfiouuuu, it's amazing :)

i really feel sad for you mate since no one is helping :)

but have u consider the possibility that the card is defective ???

cause its really strange whats happening with you :)

sorry i m not offering a solution but don't have any experience

but i do believe in you and waiting for more from you :P

Thank you Dr ReMiX!

I'had give the notbook to my friend before "guest guest" post his reply. During this week, i will go to see him, and try the new vbios. I'll post the results here.

Thank you again.

Horzaborza

• 4 weeks later...

did you dremel the hs and/or made sure the cooler sits on the card?

other than that get in contact with mxm-upgrade and kris

Guest Horzaborza

I try, but he answer only wen i talk of buying. No problem with the dremel, it's well cooling the GPU : When the display is ok, it last for hours/days.

• 6 months later...

Hi. did you have any luck with the laptop? I bought a ati hd3650 for my amilo m3438 and I have the same problem. It starts with the splash screen, but shuts down after seconds. Fan not reacting.

I`ve tried uniwill 1.11 bios, no luck. I also tried alienware bios but they wont work, the flash program wont start. If anyone have a working bios for this please post a link..

I´ve wasted hours to run a HD3650 in my (Ex-)Amilo XI1546 and I can tell you,

you have a good chance - to forget it! :) There are a few users which

had plugged this card in their Amilos, turned it on and it works from the first

second without any problems! My XI1546 won´t boot with the HD3650 in cold condition.

but after ~15 minutes of "warming up" by turn it off and on constantly, it boots up, I could

install the driver and play 3D games 100% perfect - until you turned it off. At next cold start,

the same startup s*** again! No FSC-, Alienware-Bios or any VBios changed this

situation. Selled the HD3650, the new (Acer-) owner is happy with it, works fine there.

So in your case, if it doesn´t work immediately, at the latest with a VBios update,

I think it will never work! Sorry. I asked myself to date, why some HD3650 works, some not!

But this isn't my problem anymore, buyed a Dell Studio 17 now with Core i7 and (of course

smoothly working ^^) HD4650! :)

Edited by Termie

I´ve wasted hours to run a HD3650 in my (Ex-)Amilo XI1546 and I can tell you,

you have a good chance - to forget it! :) There are a few users which

had plugged this card in their Amilos, turned it on and it works from the first

second without any problems! My XI1546 won´t boot with the HD3650 in cold condition.

but after ~15 minutes of "warming up" by turn it off and on constantly, it boots up, I could

install the driver and play 3D games 100% perfect - until you turned it off. At next cold start,

the same startup s*** again! No FSC-, Alienware-Bios or any VBios changed this

situation. Selled the HD3650, the new (Acer-) owner is happy with it, works fine there.

So in your case, if it doesn´t work immediately, at the latest with a VBios update,

I think it will never work! Sorry. I asked myself to date, why some HD3650 works, some not!

But this isn't my problem anymore, buyed a Dell Studio 17 now with Core i7 and (of course

smoothly working ^^) HD4650! :)

I also gave up trying to get the hd3650 working, but while searching the forums I found another way to get my old burt out go6800 going again. I tried the "baking-trick" and now the laptop runs as new again (for now anyhow..) so the new ati cars is of no use to me.

Didn't try the "warm up" to get it started though, maby if there is a vbios out the that could do the trick i might try warming up the card one day when I got nothing better to do.

But for now, to all of you with burnt go6800 cards google how to bake it. It worked great for me. takes 20 min total and it's totally free.

cheers

/J