LaptopVideo2Go Forums

overclocking past 750mhz core on 9600m

Guest bob3000

Guest bob3000

I have a 9700m ddr3 (same chip as 9600m), which has a stable max of 685 core 1650 shader 2000 mem and it just occurred to me that 8700m, which is pretty much the same architecture chip as in 9700m / 9600m / 9500m can be comfortably overclocked to 750mhz core despite being a 80nm chip (vs 65mn of 9x00m chips), so what gives? The only advantage 8700m might have here is voltage as I'm fairly certain that heat is not the limiting factor on my card (under heavy load it never goes past 79 c).

So my question is - has anyone tried increasing the voltage on their 9x00m cores to improve their overclockability? if so what were your results, as I would expect a 65 nm core to be able to reach further than 80nm one, maybe possibly even breaking 800mhz barrier.

that is too risky :) anyone wants to burn their cards ,i guess your overclock is good enough . if you want much more performance ,go get yourself a 9800m gt sli notebook or something .