LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9800M GTS driver problem

Deeet88

i've got a geforce 9800M GTS in my notebook. but after installing any driver from laptopvideo2go windows doesn't start correctly. every second time the screen stays black!

a few minutes ago I read some informations about these drivers: could it be that laptopvideo2go drivers doesn't work with any mobile geforce 9XXX card? if yes, what can I do?

I want to play gta 4 but with my present driver it doesn't work as well as with the newest one...

@ laptopvideo2go team: I need a .inf file for my 9800m gts!!!

I can get my laptop that has a 9800M GTS to work fine with the notebook driver nVidia has or with the current desktop beta from nVidia with my card added to the built in inf. You can get your values for that from GPU-Z.

I just noticed that you have 512 MB for the memory. Mine has 1GB, and that might matter with how GTA IV runs... At least 900 MB is being used on my card when I run it at 1920x1200 with high settings. You may want to try a lower resolution if you have 512MB..

Edited by Korn1699

it doesn't run perfectly neither with the original nvidia driver nor with current driver + .inf file. i just tried one from DOX (his drivers support 9800m gts) but i have the same problem with this one. windows doesn't start everey second time...

It may even have to do with running vista home basic, since that doesn't have the effects that all the other versions have, so maybe there is an issue there. I think almost everyone here with vista has either home premium, business, or ultimate.

yeah, this already came into my mind, too! is it possible to "upgrade" basic to premium?

edit: no, look at this http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=17374

the same problem but he's using premium!

Edited by Deeet88

Did you try driver cleaner from safe mode before you installed a new driver? I don't usually because I have a lot of other nVidia stuff installed and usually I haven't had any issues, but I had to do that after trying Dox drivers and a couple other releases.

yes, i already tried driver cleaner. after that version 180.84 ran without problems for one day and i thought that i finally fixed it. but then the problem came back...

If you haven't already, you might want to use the driver cleaner and install the nvidia mobile driver they have on their site. I know you said you did both, but I'm not sure if you used that right before trying that version. It should be the most stable. I know I have gone through a lot of drivers before finding one that ran well. There is also a chance that it could be something you installed that is messing it up...even though Vista has been released for like 2 years, some software still hasn't been made to work on it... I think my TomTom software would randomly mess up my logon to login as a default user instead of my actual account...as far as I know, that issue hasn't been fixed..

you mean i should run driver cleaner and THE install the drive from www.nvidia.com ? hm...i don' think that this will work, dude...

do u think the problems were fixed if i would reinstall windows vista?

If you didn't try that already, it might work. You could try reinstalling windows, but if it is another app causing the problem, it will just come back when you install it again..

yeah, of course it could come back. that's th fu**ing risk!^^ i sent DOX an email with my problem. maybe he can help me. therefore i sent an email to my notebook manufactuer and i could call them...

do u have any other solutions?^^

You could use the drivers that came with your laptop or are on the manufacturer's site...that is what they will tell you. That would be the only version actually supported for your laptop because everything else is basically at your own risk.

oh man, i am so desperated! now i am starting my last try. at the moment i am downloading the newest driver. but i will install it in save mode. hope it'll work...:-(

and this time, i won't insall a phsyx driver. let's see...

Edited by Deeet88

If you are installing the latest driver from nVidia, it includes PhysX, although it is the version that was new then, not now...

no, i install the latest one from laptopvideo2go!

Why? I told you they are less stable than the notebook driver from nVidia. ANY 18x.xx driver is a desktop driver that has been modified to install on a notebook...that is why you may have problems...

Edited by Korn1699

oh man, very weird thing: a few minutes ago i installed the original nvidia's notebook driver from nvidia.com. but this time i downloaded it from .com, not from .de as before. i went to safed mode and installed it. and THIS time it works! HAH, it works perfectly... i am that glad right now.....