LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Downgrade Clevo M860TU with 8600M GT?

saski

Hello folks,

I have a litte different issue. Most users want to upgrade their notebooks but I want to do the opposite.

I own a Clevo M860TU with a 9600M GT. Unfortunately due to a regression in the Nvidia Linux driver I cannot throttle the GPU up to full speed under Linux being stuck to performance leven 0 or 1 of 4. This problem is around for over 6 months and probably won't be fixed anytime soon.

Since the 8600M GT in my old Acer Aspire 9920 works perfectly unter Linux I've decided to put the 8600M in the MXM slot of my Clevo.

Unfortunately the screen output is total smire (probably a DDC issue) and under X I only get 16 Colors and 640x480 resolution.

Now my question to the Gurus: Do I need to upgrade/downgrade the VBios since it is probably mounted on the mainboard of my notebook as well since it expects a 9600M GT??? Can I just flash the original 8600M GT VBios from my Acer on my Clevo to make the GPU work correctly?

Nibitor reads the VBios on both notebooks without problems but I'm a little afraid to do something that is absolutly forbidden and will smash my system :) .

Can you give me some advice, please?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Saski

Wow, this is exactly the stuff I like to read. Doing things to laptops that should never be done :) .

Ok, first of all, I don't think the 8600M was ever designed for the M860TU, but I might be wrong and this is where the problems start.

The problem is most likely in the system BIOS that does not read the card correctly. Generally in Clevo's for every new video card there is also an update in the system BIOS.

You could do some testing but be prepared to blind flash your card in case it gets bricked with the wrong BIOS. Generally, putting the wrong BIOS is not the end of the world, I recovered twice from bad BIOS flash but it takes a while to do it.

You could try to flash the 8600M Bios on the 9600M (it should work) and see what happens. But there are still good chances that it will not work.

Downgrading the mainboard BIOS won't help.

Wow, this is exactly the stuff I like to read. Doing things to laptops that should never be done :) .

Ok, first of all, I don't think the 8600M was ever designed for the M860TU, but I might be wrong and this is where the problems start.

The problem is most likely in the system BIOS that does not read the card correctly. Generally in Clevo's for every new video card there is also an update in the system BIOS.

You could do some testing but be prepared to blind flash your card in case it gets bricked with the wrong BIOS. Generally, putting the wrong BIOS is not the end of the world, I recovered twice from bad BIOS flash but it takes a while to do it.

You could try to flash the 8600M Bios on the 9600M (it should work) and see what happens. But there are still good chances that it will not work.

Downgrading the mainboard BIOS won't help.

thanks for your fast reply. in deed clevo doesn't support 8000M cards on this model. But as far as I understood the Video BIOS is stored in an EPROM on the mainboard and NOT the mxm card, correct? so I have to flash that. but what if the flashing goes badly wrong? is the system still responsive, so I can blind-type and use nvflash to restore the old bios?

anyway I'll give it a try since I can't work with my crippeled 9600M anyway.

best regards

saski

No, the vBIOS is stored on the video card, I pretty sure of that. If the flashing goes wrong you will just have a black screen, but the rest of the processes will go on, Windows or Linux will carry on booting behind that black screen, no worries, this is why it is called a blind flash :) .

Please tell us if you get it working.

Edited by Blacky