• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beyond

• tmac

• Plutomaniac

• Galdere

Guest Faust

I was able to install the 185.81 for XP 32bit on a Dell Vostro notebook with GForce 8400M GS, but with some weirdness.

Previous to this version, I had installed the 179.48 from nVidia, even though Vostro was supposedly on the excluded hardware list. However, I was never able to get PhysX to work, even though my Vostro meets all the requirements. The PhysX control panel would indicate that no acceleration was possible and would not allow me to offload CPU work onto the GPU. My Dell is a dual booter, and the 179.48 installed on Vista have the same results.

There is no warning about 185.81 not working on Vostro, so I was hopeful that I could get PhysX to work. Howver, after installing 185.81, I'm no longer able to even bring up the PhysX control panel; whenever I click on it, it brings up the nVidia Control Panel instead, which does not have any PhysX options or indicate anything about PhysX.

Does anyone know what's going on? Are there any secret options that will allow me to turn on PhysX?

TIA.

I dont have control panel. I installed the driver twice. At first there was an option in right click menu, but it gave me an error and told me to reinstall the driver. So I uninstalled Nvidia drivers, cleaned my laptop with driver sweeper and ccleaner. Then i restarted and installed again. Now i cant seem to find control panel anywhere. Rivatuner shows me that nvcpl.dll, nvsvc.dll, nvmctray.dll and nvdisps.dll are not found.

Im using Vista 32 bit

I wonder why none of those infs has my 8400m gt and has other cards repeated in almost all infs. isnt it supposed to have infs to support all 8+ series like they say? besides when i go to driver search in nvidia site with my card, that driver appears and in the supported cards list its there too :)

Read the docs - Sony is not supported :)

I tried with HP inf and everything works - but just as fast as the predecessors.

Read the docs - Sony is not supported :)

I tried with HP inf and everything works - but just as fast as the predecessors.

my card is not only in vaios. other brands use it. besides it says in the 8400m gt is supported and there isnt any 8400m gt ID even a diff one from my card. its completely not there any 8400m gt card and older mobile drivers support it thought, not sure. anyway they shouldnt say 8400m gt is supported or they should add it

its not like i care bcz i can always add it myself. just would feel good to have 1 driver that has an inf very specific for my card once :)

Edited by Beyond

Guest PMPRO

WE NEED A MODDED INF - I have 8400M GT in a Sony Vaio laptop and I can't install the driver becuase it says that my graphics card is not supported - can you make a modded INF as soon as possible?

WE NEED A MODDED INF - I have 8400M GT in a Sony Vaio laptop and I can't install the driver becuase it says that my graphics card is not supported - can you make a modded INF as soon as possible?

wait there few minutes ill make you 1 and upload

EDIT: here you got the inf but i dont have my laptop for now so i cant test. i picked a random inf with 8400m gs and 8600m gs. there is 1 thing different in that inf and i did like usualy i see in infs (without subsys) but i think it detects your anyway. sorry i cant know all subsys xD

give it a try and tell me if works. if doesnt work send me full card ID with subsys ill make another inf

8400M_GT_WIN7_x64.inf

Edited by Beyond

Guest PMPRO

thank you but I have Windows Vista x64, can you make one for Windows Vista x64 and attach it again - I haven't test the other one yet. And something else: where should I copy this file(probably at the setup's folder)and how can I rename it so that th setup will recognise it?

Anyway, thank you very much!

thank you but I have Windows Vista x64, can you make one for Windows Vista x64 and attach it again - I haven't test the other one yet. And something else: where should I copy this file(probably at the setup's folder)and how can I rename it so that th setup will recognise it?

Anyway, thank you very much!

there it is and yes you need to copy to setup folder that driver extract to C: drive or you can use a program like 7zip or winzip to extract the setup files to your desktop. just copy the inf inside the extracted folder that the setup will detect it. it searches all infs for the card no matter the name

8400M_GT_VISTA_x64.inf

Edited by Beyond

after what user beyond did with the .inf file he gave me for my 8400M GT GPU I became a member in this site...

Thank you again all of you!

You can make them yourself, just open the .inf and look where all the IDs are. You can find your card's ID by going to device manager, right clicking your graphics adapter and clocking properties, clicking the details tab, then clicking hardware IDs on the drop down tab. Your dev and sybsys IDs will be here.

You adapt your IDs into the inf where you see the other lists of IDs. Use the same format for your card as the others.

Edited by Covert

Guest Guest

Vista 32 bit Dell M1730 8700M GT user here - best driver I've found so far - resume after sleep works - Blu-Ray works - hook up to HDTV works - and FPS in games is up (up 10-12 FPS in Dawn of War II for example). Previous to this I was using 175.32 which is specific for my card and machine - it was superior to the 179 options as far as FPS in games and worked well with SLI.

It's funny NVidia recommends this driver for 200M series and it doesn't even work... :)

In 3dmark06 I've got a boost of 100points @WinXP...

With 181.71 I had better aero behaviour :unsure: . On my FULL HD screen via HDMI these drivers lag badly when maximising and minimising windows :w00t: . I rolled from 185 to the MSU ones because these don't lag as badly on my HD screen. :) :) :P

Guest Guest - x3m

Unfortunately these drivers don't work on my m15x with vista 32.. it installs just fine but upon rebooting, i don't even get aero..

I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted on safe mode, used driversweeper and then installed this ones...

anyone has a suggestion to get these working? it really sounds like good drivers!

Guest Gamexh
I dont have control panel. I installed the driver twice. At first there was an option in right click menu, but it gave me an error and told me to reinstall the driver. So I uninstalled Nvidia drivers, cleaned my laptop with driver sweeper and ccleaner. Then i restarted and installed again. Now i cant seem to find control panel anywhere. Rivatuner shows me that nvcpl.dll, nvsvc.dll, nvmctray.dll and nvdisps.dll are not found.

Im using Vista 32 bit

I am using vista 64 and geforce 9600M GT and i do not have control pannel either.

guys...this driver is still in a beta version, it may still have bugs and such stuff. I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 with Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT and I don't have any problem, I have the control panel, I still have 4.1 at windows experience graphics score and I can still play GTA IV at the lowsest graphics of caurse pretty smooth! The only problem I noticed is that it's not multilangual excactly: only the setup is, all the other(control panel etc) are only in English!

and for the guy that said:

Im using Vista 32 bit

Install the driver in Safe-Mode and then restart - that always works in such situations. Also before doing that make sure you clean your system with Driver Sweeper and NFR!

Edited by Plutomaniac

guys...this driver is still in a beta version, it may still have bugs and such stuff. I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 with Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT and I don't have any problem, I have the control panel, I still have 4.1 at windows experience graphics score and I can still play GTA IV at the lowsest graphics of caurse pretty smooth! The only problem I noticed is that it's not multilangual excactly: only the setup is, all the other(control panel etc) are only in English!

and for the guy that said:

Install the driver in Safe-Mode and then restart - that always works in such situations. Also before doing that make sure you clean your system with Driver Sweeper and NFR!

hehe you probably downloaded the US english version of driver and not the international :)

Guest Guest

PowerMizer is disable with this drivers or a bug...9600m GT is infected

After 10 min it only lower the clock...

Is nVidia trying to slow down the cooling... :)