LaptopVideo2Go Forums

D-Link DWA-547

Crewecut

D-Link RangeBooster N 650 Desktop Adapter DWA-547 looks very promising with no less than three antennas and boastfull comments from vendor´s website.

So why am I only getting 54 Mbps???! In the settings it says 802.11b preamble long and short, don´t need to know exactly what the latter means, but I´d expect it to read 802.11n. Got D-Links 655 router running mix b,g,n (got two other pc´s running g-mode).

Driver out of the box is 7.4.2.75 dated 17-01-2008, and I´m looking for a trusworthy source for an updated driver. Been around some annoying, pop-up mongering, redirect-you-a-couple-of-times-before-you-reach-the-actual-dl-websites. Latest driver I got is called atheros_ar5xxx_7.7.0.233_2k-xp (the dwa-547 is chipset 5000-range, right?), got it from station-drivers, comes in an executable package made by some Igor Pavlov. And that´s where I start to get paranoid, ´cause I don´t really know what I could be installing. Other older drivers I came across came as non-.exe files.

I´ve been around Atheros´ website, I´m not knowledgeable enough to scope through their range of downloads and pick the right one. Plus I´ve read some ominous comments on Atheros´ abilities to produce proper drivers for their own products.

Does anyone know a healthy driver that just may help my wi-fi card live up to it´s name? Any help would be much appreciated. (I´m using XP 32)

Crewecut

Edited by Crewecut

K, found an Italian website, linked me to a driver version atheros_v7.6.1.184 found on mediafire. That bumped me up to 130Mbps! :)

From the folder assigned to the installation I had to try different files all very similarly named, but eventually the miracle happened. Grazie Italia :)

And now, as every other wannabe-geek, I want more! Will try to find ways to get closer to 300 Mbps. If any of you know a way please let me know (router is about 10 feet away from PC, not too thick concrete wall between, getting the two closer not possible).

Crewe

And after a reboot it´s back down to 54 :)

Are there any wi-fi cards other than D-link out there that´ll actually perform as promised?

• 9 months later...

Mixed mode router side is your answer, as you have other wireless devices connecting using 802.11g then the DWA-547 will also only be able to connect using 802.11g. The DIR-655 is not able to use both 802.11g & 802.11n at the same time.