LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS 1730 8700 GT SLI: really big performance issue

Guest Myrtul

Guest Myrtul

ok, i've check all the posts related to 8700 , XPS 1730 or SLI issues , i've tried about 10 drivers, officials or from laptopvideo2go wihtout any success... so i asking for some help :)

so i have formated my drives (recreate raid 0)

I have just reinstalled Vista 32b home premium edition

Installed Intel chipset from dell website

reboot

INstalled aegia latest drivers 9.09.02023

reboot

Installed 176.78 official nvidia drivers for dell

reboot

activated SLI, single display

reboot

Installed 3DMARK06

set power setting to "high performance"

i am plugged with th AC adapter..

-->FPS no higher than 12, 3dmark result 3443...

I'm lost... i see everywhere else that i should be at least around 8000 with no overclocking

dual 8700 GT SLI, Vista 32b, Raid 0, 4Gb ram, cpu X7900 (no overclocking)

Guest Vagrant Guest

With my 8800M GTX SLI, I discovered it was running FEAR on single GPU profile because the Nvidia driver didn't detect FEAR was installed on my computer, after I made the driver recognize FEAR by 'adding the program' to the list, it ran twice as fast under the SLI profile. Maybe your driver hasn't detected 3dMark06 on your system and is running it under single GPU profile...your score would indicate so....when I manually added 3dmark06 to the list I noticed the 3dmark increased afterwards.

Guest Guest

ok 3400 is way too low.

what to do?

enable speedsteb <- check bios

enable sli <- nvidia control panel

plug in the ac <- ... doesnt need explanation, huh?

change power-profile in vista/xp/7 to high performance instead of power saving?

hf & gl

Guest Myrtul
enable speedsteb <- check bios

enable sli <- nvidia control panel

plug in the ac <- ... doesnt need explanation, huh?

change power-profile in vista/xp/7 to high performance instead of power saving?

i mentionned in my post that this has been done,, except the speedsteb in bios, i will check that but honestly i'm lost

I made the driver recognize FEAR by 'adding the program' to the list, it ran twice as fast under the SLI profile.

i'll see how it react by adding 3dmark06 to the program list, thanks

Guest Myrtul

Well, 3Dmark has its own 3d configuration and was running in SLI.

Any other ideas? Do i need to give more details on something to identify the root cause of this performance issue?

• 1 month later...
Guest Aaron

Myrtul - Have you had any luck with your XPS 1730 config?

I have an XPS 1730, T7700, Vista 32b, 4gb Ram, 2 x 8700 GTs SLI and have just updated to Nvidia Driver 186.03.

3D Mark 06 = 8864 (No Overclocking)

Even turning off SLI I can get a score of 5418. Have you tried removing the Nvidia driver completely, then rebooting and reinstalling a driver? I don't recommend running the Dell recommended driver, I have had no issues with official Nvidia drivers in the past on this machine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Myrtul

Hi Aaron,

So far, i haven't been able to find more information to solve my problem so my config is still the same. Starting from a fresh windows install, i had no driver to remove.

I tried some fine tuning with riva tuner, no performance improvement i could notice

I will try, again, the 186.03 driver and keep you informed

Thanks for digging up my post :) , i am open to any suggestion

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Myrtul

Ok, back again with some update:

Another clean reinstall of windows vista 32b premium family edition with the right order of drivers chipset, aegia, nvidia 186.03...

3854 with 3Dmark 06, and it cannot complete test when i turn on sli (got an erreur).

This is supposed to be a real good laptop.. i'm just pissed off with Dell now...

i may have an hardware problem, anyone knows a good hardware diagnostic tool for nvidia card that could telle me if my cards are ok?

PS: with Everest , i see the memory bus of GPU is GDDR3 type and real clock is 100mhz (original 800mhz) , what does this mean?

100 MHz is probably the default 2D memory speed - like on my FX 1600M. 3D low power is 275 and 3D performance is 800 MHz.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back again with some update:

Another clean reinstall of windows vista 32b premium family edition with the right order of drivers chipset, aegia, nvidia 186.03...

3854 with 3Dmark 06, and it cannot complete test when i turn on sli (got an erreur).

This is supposed to be a real good laptop.. i'm just pissed off with Dell now...

i may have an hardware problem, anyone knows a good hardware diagnostic tool for nvidia card that could telle me if my cards are ok?

PS: with Everest , i see the memory bus of GPU is GDDR3 type and real clock is 100mhz (original 800mhz) , what does this mean?

When not running 3d applications, powermizer lowers the clock speeds of the cards to reduce unwanted heat and stress.

To be honest, if you've got warranty, use it! Phone the tech support line, they'll have you run diagnostics which might tell you if you have video card issues.