LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Atheros 802.11a Turbo mode in 5006EXS, possible?

rhoniel

Alright guys I have a problem with my all Atheros 802.11a Turbo (108Mbps) network. recently I bought few newer AR5006EXS (AR5424) based cards. These cards do not see my network's SSID and hence cannot connect when it is in 108Mbps (aka turbo mode) mode. I have tried V5, V6 and V7 drivers but no avail.

I have older Atheros AR5001+ a/b/g mini-PCI cards (running V4 drivers) which all work fine with my router (Netgear WGU624). Then just for experiment I upgraded the drivers for my older cards (AR5001+) to V6 and then V7 version and those cards lost the ability to connect to 108Mbs network as well. So I am thinking it may be a driver issue and with some tweaking with new drivers my AR5006EXS (AR5424) cards may be able to see and connect to 108Mbps mode network.

Has anyone ever tried to connect AR5006EXS card in 108Mbps / Turbo mode?

I am running 32-bit Windows-XP. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

That bump woke me up :)

It seems that the later drivers do not support SuperG mode.

You are in a long line of folk with this issue.

It looks like Atheros has by passed this in favour of 11n support.

May have been too awkward to allow backward compatability to SUperG

SuperG was not an actual standard so every vendor had it's own.

Hey thanks for your reply.

So which is a most recent Atheros driver set to support Super AG (108Mbps) mode? Is there any drivers for Atheros card which supprts Super AG mode and PCI-Express interface?

And how about Linux. Do you think drivers for Ubunto Linux can support SuperAG mode for PCI-Express based Atheros cards?

Thanks again.

I have no idea where SuperG support last was supported, you'd better do some testing on drivers.

Linux not really tried WIFI drivers there yet, a project I'll attempt when I get some time

• 1 year later...

Alright I found the answer to my problem. All the different 'Atheros AR5006EXS' mini-PCIE cards that I bought on ebay were actually not AR5006EXS cards but rather AR5006EX cards. That's why none of these supported super AG (108Mbps) mode under XP or Vista even though the device manager showed that I had AR5006EXS card installed.

Then I decided to buy a mini-PCIE pulled from a Fujitsu S2210 laptop which is advertised to have 'super AG' mode. Upon installing this card indeed supported super AG mode under XP and Vista. Then I bought another mini-PCIE card pulled from same lptop model and it proved to be real AR5006EXS model and supported 'super AG' mode.

So beware if you are shopping for AR5006EXS cards on ebay, but I guess at the time of this posting, people would be looking for Wireless-N cards supporting 5GHz band rather than older 'super AG' models.

Thanks.