LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX3700 in a HP 8710w?

Vandalman

Thanks for the beer :)

At first the RMClock hack worked for me but after an update it doesn't work anymore even when I follow that guide again. That's fugly, my T7700 worked at 2.4GHz with 0.8500V.

Nevermind, I've ordered the WD3200BEKT (one of the fastest HDD's you can get at the moment) and a tube Arctic Cooling MX-2. So I'm going to reinstall the OS and replace the current cooling paste.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MobileArtist

• JME-jjj175

• 2DXtreme

• DaMarcus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just emailed the HP Tech in Holland (it's not all chocolate and wooden shoes over there!) to ask about the apparent discrepancy in the heatsink which he recommended.

MobileArtist

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if the BIOSes of the 8710 and 8730 are different? According to one fellow, who looked at the unencrypted parts of both BIOSes, they are significantly different.

Thanks,

MobileArtist

I so owe you a beer.

Those registry edits worked perfectly for me.(Took a bit of finding in Windows 7) I idle at around 47-48 and I haven't seen anything above 57c tonight!

I'm about to restart and see if that RMClock fix will work in Windows 7 as well. I had the T7800 undervolted to 1.1150v@2.8 ghz in XP.

You are my hero of the day! (maybe even a week!)

Well wouldn't you know it. One day later, and I seem to be back to 89c territory. *dropkicks laptop into the freezer to cool down*

And I'm not sure about the 8710 vs 8730 bios. I would assume they're different as they have a different motherboard with different chipsets (ie. ich9 vs ich8 etc.)

Edited by Darris

Well, this is the reply that I got from Holland:

"The only thing I can suggest is to wait till somebody has tested the fan's I proposed. These are parts delivered in the newer type laptop's. HDX18.

I've rest the rest of the posts in that forum, and in my opinion it will work to lower the voltages for the CPU as lomg as the CPU will remain stable. The question now is, will the laptop remain stable when it's stressed. So I suggest to test the fan's together with the lower voltage and you might have your answer."

The tech knows we're referring to MXM gpus, so either he believes that undervolting the CPU will bring down global temperatures, or he means to undervolt the GPU (if that's possible)

At any rate, the fan suggested seems to be more robust. I'm going to ask about the heatsink issue again. Maybe he overlooked that part of the question.

I also thought because of the different motherboards, etc. that the BIOSes must be different, along with what one of our Dragon HDXers observed from the unencrypted parts of the BIOSes which were scrutinized. But another member of that forum claims the 8710 and 8730 BIOSes are the same. Seems illogical to me, but who knows?

HP techs are practically worthless when it comes to these things.

Concerning the HDX Dragon, the easiest way to find out if it will work is to simply go out and buy a 3700M and install it. Asking techs and people to speculate is sort of pointless. I've tried a 280M GTX and it didn't work, as I had already suspected. The 8800M GTS that is in the HDX is a custom job made specifically for HP. It is clearly different than other 8800M GTS cards like those used in the Gateway and Toshiba notebooks. I have pictures to prove it.

One thing, if one does try to install the 3700M, be advised that the HDX's heatsink is not compatible with ANY standard MXM card. You will either have to modify the HDX's heatsink or you will have to make a small square copper plate that is 1-2mm thick to install between the GPU's heat spreader and bottom of the HDX's heatsink. The other problem is that you will also need to remove the bracket which the heatsink screws down on and install it on the 3700M. Doing so may destroy the 8800M's card.

It will NOT be a simple plug and play job. Requires work to make it fit physically. That is if it works at all which I doubt given the HDX's configuration and BIOS. Good news is, trying it out won't kill your HDX.

Edited by Two Point Oh

Seeing the problems confirms that I'll probably leave HP when upgrading - hello Zepto X17 with 280M (the only fast laptop available here excluding SLI rigs).

Seeing the problems confirms that I'll probably leave HP when upgrading - hello Zepto X17 with 280M (the only fast laptop available here excluding SLI rigs).

Excatly. HP's aren't made with upgrading in mind. Matter of fact, they made NOT to be upgraded. For instance, they whitelist wifi cards, install locked PLL chips and prevent overclocking of extreme processors but sell them anyway. How do you sell an X series CPU and not provide a means of overclocking it? And they sell it for the premium that one pays for the ability to overclock it.

Your best bet for an MXM upgrade path is Sager/Clevo units.

Your best bet for an MXM upgrade path is Sager/Clevo units.

Zepto is one of their clones - at least X17.

Zepto is one of their clones - at least X17.

I know, I was putting that out there for any who might be reading and might be considering a notebook for its MXM upgrade path. Though even these (Sager/Clevo) are limited as far as an upgrade path. BTW, MXM has changed its format from v2.1 type I/II/II/IV-HE to MXM v3.0 type A/Type B. So max upgrade for most 2008/2009 models or older will be 280M GTX Type III v2.1 as that is the last Type III card to be made AFAIK.

Edited by Two Point Oh

Besides the progress made on installing the 3700M on the 8710, please refer to this link to see the successful upgrade of the non-Clevo Acer notebook. I called Acer today and was told that the notebook referred to is not Clevo.

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/7520G.html

No vendor wants you to upgrade their MXMs. They want to sell you new computers. No MXM upgrade is as simple as plug and play.

MA

Besides the progress made on installing the 3700M on the 8710, please refer to this link to see the successful upgrade of the non-Clevo Acer notebook. I called Acer today and was told that the notebook referred to is not Clevo.

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/7520G.html

No vendor wants you to upgrade their MXMs. They want to sell you new computers. No MXM upgrade is as simple as plug and play.

MA

Right. (Of course an Acer isn't a Clevo). But Sager/Clevo notebooks have some of the best success records in this regard. Whats' more, perhaps more importantly, is the availability of MXM cards to purchase from some of the Clevo resellers for use in their notebooks and in some cases, others. RJtech for instance.

And some MXM upgrades are as simple as plug and play with nothing more than a BIOS update.

In any event, the recommendation to buy a Sager/Clevo Notebook if one's goal is future upgrade is sound, all things considered. I certainly wouldn't recommend buying an HP or Dell if that is one's future goal.

Edited by Two Point Oh

There has to be two different heatsinks for the 8710w. one for 1600m and one for 3600m, the cards are too different and I know from personal experience that the 3600m does not work with the 1600m sink without trimming, and then it does not cool it well at all. I can't find the other part# though

Checkout these pics I made to compare the heatsinks and cards

1600m-card1600m-card.jpg1600m-Sink-4505941600m-Sink-450594.jpg

3700M-card.3700M-card.jpg3700m-Sink-494011-8730w3700m-Sink-494011-8730w.jpg

3700m-ON-1600mSink3700m-ON-1600mSink.jpg I Overlayed the 3700m on the 1600m heatsink and you can see where it needed to be trimmed out to fit.

Obviously it is not the right sink for the 3600m/3700m (the cards look almost identical)

8730Sink8730Sink.jpg1600mSink-450495-0011600mSink-450495-001.jpg

BTW: I do realize the 8710 and 8730 are quite different, I was just taking a stab in the dark and hoping it might work :)

Hope these help.

I made them all the same scale so you can overlay them and see the problem/difference

Maybe someone can figure it out???

Doesn't anyone have an 8710w with the 3600m???

?? I have it (3600M) and after disassemble I saw I have another right sink. It has two pipes, one going from video to the left (to CPU) and another - to the top (dedicated).

Numbers:

SPS - 450593-001

Datecode:

7J0844

According to information from nvidia 3700M has 75W and 3600M 70W. But 1600M has 50W. So will be additional 5W so bad to overheat?

Could you make a picture of the partnumber and the heatpipe? I was googling at the partnumber (450593-001) and I saw that it's a small CPU heatsink.

It's not that I don't believe you but I'm curious if it's the right one. :)

Just a little update...

286u4oj.png

Could it be that we've found the right partnumber?

*Update*

I've also found this:

468593-001

NEW - SPS-THERMAL MODULE (PNRYN)

SPS THRM MODULE PNRYN

PNRYN = 8710w which is delivered with the Penryn CPU and that's the version with the 3600M :)

Edited by DaMarcus

Guest jjj175

?? I have it (3600M) and after disassemble I saw I have another right sink. It has two pipes, one going from video to the left (to CPU) and another - to the top (dedicated).

Numbers:

SPS - 450593-001

Datecode:

7J0844

According to information from nvidia 3700M has 75W and 3600M 70W. But 1600M has 50W. So will be additional 5W so bad to overheat?

Oh man!!! :) I can't believe it took this long to find someone with the 3600m. thank you, thank you, thank you

WE are looking for the part number on the larger GRAPHICS heatsink (it blows out the back), not the small cpu sink.

Can you take a pic of the gpu sink (especially the gpu mounting surface)for us? PLEASE :) ............

Also does your 3600m look like the 3700m above or the 1600m (as far as the component layout on the board. memory spacing etc) ?????????

Is 468593-001 the part number on the big graphics sink that you have???

468593-001

NEW - SPS-THERMAL MODULE (PNRYN)

SPS THRM MODULE PNRYN

Yes this is for Penryn, but I think this code is only for CPU cooling (it has one pipe). I make a mistake. I didn't see another number.

I will see what code for gpu cooling with two pipes.

link to photo

The first code you gave was the partnumber of the CPU heatsink, not from the GPU :)

Could you please write down all the codes from the GPU heatsink over here? :) I'm quite curious if partnumber 468593-001 is the good one.

Oh man!!! :P I can't believe it took this long to find someone with the 3600m. thank you, thank you, thank you

WE are looking for the part number on the larger GRAPHICS heatsink (it blows out the back), not the small cpu sink.

Can you take a pic of the gpu sink (especially the gpu mounting surface)for us? PLEASE :) ............

Also does your 3600m look like the 3700m above or the 1600m (as far as the component layout on the board. memory spacing etc) ?????????

Is 468593-001 the part number on the big graphics sink that you have???

I'm sorry :) I'm only a programmer not tech spec.

I compare pictures for 3700M (variant for HP 8730W) and 3600M and found that all composition is the same (memory chips, some dark red-orange blocks? :unsure:, holes, spaces, core and so on).

I take two pictures the same size and switch them periodicaly.

My 3600M is quite different from 1600M (in place called "area need to be modified").

468593-001 is part number on cpu sink. Part number for GPU sink is closed by plastic case - so I don't see it. Now I will found It but it will be sometime later (max till 17-00 GMT+0000).

I don't understand - to see gpu mounting surface I need to disassemble GPU heatsink? And roll it upside down? Sorry for my english, I know it's not good.

I don't understand - to see gpu mounting surface I need to disassemble GPU heatsink? And roll it upside down? Sorry for my english, I know it's not good.

Yes but

If you are not familiar with mounting and removal of heatsinks and thermal paste maybe don't do it.

But if you are up to it, remove the four screws on the right of the sink (on the card) and one or maybe two others hidden towards the top left exaust fan, they are torx #10 if I remember correctly. unplug the fan.

You will have to remove the screws under the main laptop battery and unsnap the panel with the power button on it to access the back of the sink.

IF you lightly pry up on the back of the plastic covers of the screen hinges with a small flathead it will come off easily.

Actually if you can remove the button panel only, I think the part number we need is on top of the finned part of the heatsink and that itself would help alot.

if anything I said that you don't understand just ask and I will try to explain better

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

ALSO if you do remove the heatsink you will want to be careful not to damage any of the blue heat transfer pads that are on the memory and chipset. It isnt really a big deal or anthing if they get messed up a bit, I just thought I should mention it just in case.

ALSO if you do remove the heatsink you will want to be careful not to damage any of the blue heat transfer pads that are on the memory and chipset. It isnt really a big deal or anthing if they get messed up a bit, I just thought I should mention it just in case.

Sorry, the pads are pink. oops

I am glad to hear your 3600 looks like the 3700, that means your heatsink will work perfectly for the upgrade. Now we just need the correct part number and someone who will sell it to us.

I was thinking about it and you dont actually need to remove the whole heatsink, if you can just take off the top "button panel" you should be able to see the part number, and really that is all we need.

I just looked at the link you posted with the picture of your heatsink and realized you already removed the panel I was talking about, so nevermind all that.

Maybe you do have to actually remove the whole thing to get to the part number, I just don't remember where exactly it was on mine. Did you try pulling up the silver cable and peeking under?

Thanks Igor for the pic.

This is the right heatsink, that "doesn't exist" you $#@!&*%ing HP techs. what is the problem??

post-39744-125050320265_thumb.jpg