LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX3700 in a HP 8710w?

Vandalman

Sounds like the same problems another person was having when he upgraded the 1600M to a 3700M on his 8710w.

Lower timings, 256MB of video RAM and a lot of heat issues.

If I upgrade my 8710w, I'll just get a 3600M. But not until I can find the proper heatsink/fan for it.

So how about that heatsink part# for the 8710w with a 3600M?

Has anyone found the right part# and a place where we could order it?

Edited by 2DXtreme

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MobileArtist

• JME-jjj175

• 2DXtreme

• DaMarcus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please!

Can anyone supply me with QuadroFX 3700M BIOS!

I need any available. To save bios use GPUZ or NiBiTor.

Thanks!

Sounds like the same problems another person was having when he upgraded the 1600M to a 3700M on his 8710w.

Lower timings, 256MB of video RAM and a lot of heat issues.

If I upgrade my 8710w, I'll just get a 3600M. But not until I can find the proper heatsink/fan for it.

So how about that heatsink part# for the 8710w with a 3600M?

Has anyone found the right part# and a place where we could order it?

I'm still looking for one on Ebay. My 3600 hit 96c tonight while playing Aion. This is some scary crazy temps.

I don't know if this will help, but on MXM-upgrade.com there's the following detailed description of an upgrade on a Fujitsu. Go to the section entitled something like the "the fan doesn't work" for a possible workaround.

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html

As far as the VRAM showing up as 256MB, might this be a GPU driver issue?

MA

Sorry. I should have referenced the above as a possible solution to the cooling problem. And I do want to bring up what an HP tech suggested, and what I posted earlier, about a more powerful fan option. There was a part number included in the earlier post.

MA

In an unsuccessful attempt to install a 280M GTX in a Dragon HDX (not the ideal choice), the regular driver showed improper information. With one of Dox's modded drivers the card did properly show up with correct VRAM, etc.

MA

I'm still looking for one on Ebay. My 3600 hit 96c tonight while playing Aion. This is some scary crazy temps.

Hence the reason why I wont buy/install one yet.

What about that guy "JME-jjj175" who bought the HS with dual heat pipes. The one that appeared to have the right shape for the 8710w?

He said he would let us know if it fit and whether or not it had the part# on it.

He never posted an update.

BTW, did any of you purchase that 3600M on ebay for $100+shipping? :)

It was used but man that was a good price for a 3600M. I was very tempted and I probably should have, but I rather wait until I can get my hands on the right HS.

Edited by 2DXtreme

Found some very interesting info:

HP 8710W bios contains some VBIOS...

How to prove:

Latest SYSTEM BIOS contains it (search in rom.bin hex DE101C06 and you will see video bios),

also i found that this bios is part of original video bios (shadow?)

Also I found that everest with installed 3700M graphics say 2 different VBIOS versions!

So we should change SYS BIOS.

For that I need compaqdeco... But i can't find it...

Here's a link I found, but I'm leery of opening it on the Mac that I'm on:

qaos.com/article.php?sid=2139

I found it by using the metasearch engine www.mamma.com. From there you can find the option to translate what appears to be Korean.

Hope this helps.

QAOS.com | ?? BIOS ???? ??

? ???CompaqBIOS-Decompressor-CompaqDeco ? ???epa2bmp ? ???HewlettPackardBIOS-Decompressor-HPDeco ? ? ???hpdeco.0.1 ? ???InsydeBIOS-Decompressor ...

qaos.com/article.php?sid=2139 [ Bing, Yahoo! Search ]

[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS Debian package.

Here's a link I found, but I'm leery of opening it on the Mac that I'm on:

Thank you :)

I also find ADDCCv2 which can extract HP Compaq bios (we have such).

Also I participate in many forums for this problem.

I found also interesting problem - one guy updated 1600M to 3600M and he also has a problem (it used G84 bios for G92)!!!

So it is common problem with GPU upgrade!!!

Now I have two variants with this problem:

1. Update BIOS with installed GPU (new).

Flasher should choose appropriate VBIOS or NO BIOS at all (I have not try this).

It didn't flash GPU at all it shadows GPU bios with stored in system while in POST.

But there can be a risk - if it incorrectly detects and used not correct VBIOS?

2. Patch SYS BIOS to exclude VBIOS at all.

Flasher will not try to do what we don't want.

Of course first option is the best way if it works correctly.

Second option need for me sometime for IDA'ing.

And for all who want to update to 3600M - after GPU replace FORCE UPDATE BIOS

Edited by SIGAN

In an unsuccessful attempt to install a 280M GTX in a Dragon HDX (not the ideal choice), the regular driver showed improper information. With one of Dox's modded drivers the card did properly show up with correct VRAM, etc.

MA

Yes, but the screen was fuzzy and mostly unreadable. Also, with Dox's driver, the Nvidia control panel reported that info while GPU-Z didn't report the same. Also, there were no temps reported.

Both the FX 3700 and 280M GTX use Powermizer 8 and have the same clocks. As far as "not ideal choice," you might want to reconsider that since they are almost the same cards. I am nearly 100% certain that the FX 3700M WILL NOT work in the HDX. The 3700M's stock clocks are higher, voltage more and TDP almost twice as much as the 8800M. Let alone the powermizer 8.0 (HDX's 8800M GTS uses powermizer 7). Plus since the 8800M GTS used in the HDX is a custom proprietary card, all standard MXM cards do not fit properly with the HDX's heatsink.

And you can forget about modding the HDX's BIOS.

But if you believe/think it is possible, by all means, take the risk like I did with the 280M GTX, and get a 3700M to experiment with. What makes the 3700M less than ideal as compared to the 280M GTX is that an overclocked 8800M GTS runs about as fast as a stock 3700M according to 3DMark scores. And you wouldn't be able to overclock a 3700M in the HDX.

Hello, guys!

Need your assistance with GPU upgrade issue on 8730w:

I have configuraton with ATI Mobility FireGL V5725 preinstalled. But is it possible to buy 3700M that fit our laptops and install it into my config? Someone has already did it?

I think there will be no problems with BIOS whitelist but there may be problems with heatsink fit...

So i need your help! Any thoughts?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hello, guys!

Need your assistance with GPU upgrade issue on 8730w:

I have configuraton with ATI Mobility FireGL V5725 preinstalled. But is it possible to buy 3700M that fit our laptops and install it into my config? Someone has already did it?

I think there will be no problems with BIOS whitelist but there may be problems with heatsink fit...

So i need your help! Any thoughts?

Thank you!

If I remember correctly, the FireGL's have a different heatsink configuration than the 3700m (look at the 1600 vs 3600/3700 pictures to see this). If you do upgrade, make sure you heatsink is compatible. I upgraded my 1600 to a 3600 without swapping in the correct heatsink and the video card fried. That was an expensive lesson to learn =/

Hey guys. Sorry for my abscence, I've been really really sick :)

anyway I have the 3700 running with the newer dual heatpipe heatsink. It is keeping the gpu cooler than with tha 1600 heatsink, so it is worth doing.

It does however seem like the fan speeds up more often, I guess it is getting rid of the extra heat. I have not yet tried redoing the bios, I think I am going to just reflash the laptop with whatever the latest bios is and see how it goes. Right now it is only seeing 256mb of the memory on the 3700m so hopefully the reflash fixes it.... I will get back once Ive tried it.

JME

Hey guys. Sorry for my abscence, I've been really really sick :)

anyway I have the 3700 running with the newer dual heatpipe heatsink. It is keeping the gpu cooler than with tha 1600 heatsink, so it is worth doing.

It does however seem like the fan speeds up more often, I guess it is getting rid of the extra heat. I have not yet tried redoing the bios, I think I am going to just reflash the laptop with whatever the latest bios is and see how it goes. Right now it is only seeing 256mb of the memory on the 3700m so hopefully the reflash fixes it.... I will get back once Ive tried it.

JME

That's great to hear! Now I just need to find me a dual-pipe heatsink like yours!

So at this point, nobody knows the part number or where to purchase the dual heatpipe HS?

Except for maybe one person who got lucky and found one on ebay.

Hi all,

First of all I want to thank every efforts to anyone in this forum.

I have a HP 8710p and I'm keep looking for a better VGA than the NVS 320M.

So as far as I see an FX3600M or FX3700M would fit into my 8710p but there would be problem with the cooling and the BIOS as well.

I'll try to find answers in an HP forum and find out if anyone did a successful upgrade or not.

I'll keep you posted if I find something out regarding the BIOS and cooling.

regards

SIGAN or anyone!

We need the serial number to find the proper heatsink not the product number.

So if you have a 8710W with FX3600M tell us the serial number!

Or if you don't want, then go partsurfer.hp.com and type the serial (!, not the part number) of your notebook into the search field and then get the part number of the graphics board heatsink!!

regards

SIGAN or anyone!

We need the serial number to find the proper heatsink not the product number.

So if you have a 8710W with FX3600M tell us the serial number!

Or if you don't want, then go partsurfer.hp.com and type the serial (!, not the part number) of your notebook into the search field and then get the part number of the graphics board heatsink!!

regards

No it does not help :)

What if HP upgraded the heatsink and gave it the same part number??

I'm going to order one 450594-001 and see if it is upgraded or not.

Might be thats is why we can't find the part number because it is the same :)

Will see...

• 2 weeks later...

There are no HP numbers on my Ebay sink only some from Foxconn. I do think that HP may have upgraded all the newer Nvidia sinks to the same one, so ordering one for an 8710w with the 3600m may get you the right one now, even though the part number is the same as the old one.

BTW I have my 3700m running at GPU 500, Memory 800, shader 1250 and it is now stable in 3d. I am still only seeing 256mb memory, at least that is what GPUZ says. I have no way of knowing if it using all the memory or not. It is pretty fast though... Apparently "Sigan" thinks he can mod the laptop bios to correctly recoginze the newer cards but he has not had time to do it yet (I emailed the other day). So maybe sometime later he might solve the remaining bios issues......

I did reflash the card but it was the same bios 62.92.51.00.05 so no difference. My 3700 was an HP to begin with though.

Guest Cerotinico

I have a HP 8710p and I would like to change my NVS 320m for the FX 3700m.

I´m following this thread since the beginning. Just, thanks to everybody for posting helpful things. I´ll hope that we'll find a good solution soon.

BR

Cerotinico

No it does not help :)

What if HP upgraded the heatsink and gave it the same part number??

I'm going to order one 450594-001 and see if it is upgraded or not.

Might be thats is why we can't find the part number because it is the same :)

Will see...

Unfortunately the 450594-001 is still the same, only one pipe. I have contacted HP support billion times.. They are useless. I have a "friend" who works at HP service however he can't find the heatsink either. Very strange. It is obvious there are 8710W with FX3600 from HP but whenever I go to the partsurfer with a good serial number (8710w+FX3600) it says there is an FX1600 in that notebook.

I have a bad feeling though. Regarding the BIOS issue I can confirm in my NVS320 there is no video BIOS. Nor Nibitor nor gpuz cannot read it out and gives strange error messages. I suspect there is one main BIOS at thats it. So I think the fastest we can out in our notebook is the FX3600M, and reflash the latest BIOS from HP website.

By the way I'll keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...