LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX3700 in a HP 8710w?

Vandalman

Well, I guess the title says it all. These cards have started popping up for sale now, but in the description it says that they will work in the 8730w. Does anyone know if they will work in an 8710w as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MobileArtist

• JME-jjj175

• 2DXtreme

• DaMarcus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess there will not be a problem regarding to measurements and TDP because FX 2600/3600 are almost equal.

But I do not know if the system BIOS would recognize them.

Guest jj175

Well I just tried it. 3700m in my 8710w that had 1600m.

It does work I am using it now, BUT The memory is showing up as only 256mb and it is clocking in at 383 core / 300 memory.

I tried setting it to stock clock speeds (550/800) w/ riva tuner btu it did not work. I'm not sure if it is just a powermizer issue or what.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jjj175

OK It DOES WORK. 3700m in 8710w

I was having issues with Vista but in XP it works great.

I do however need to get the correct heatsink for it. I am using the heatsink for the 1600m that I had to slightly modiify to make it fit.

I am looking for the Part Number for the 3600m heatsink for the 8710w. does anyone have it????

I get lockups when I attempt a 3d benchmark due to overheating.

I tried the heatsink out of the 8730w and it wont fit.

The 3700m is exactly the same as the 3600m as far as I can tell so that heatsink should work great.

Does anyone at least have the MODEL NUMBER for an 8710w that was equipped with the 3600m to begin with??

ThanksO

I'm keeping tabs on this thread because I'm looking to do the same thing with my 8710w.

I was looking at replacing the fx1600m with the fx3600m because that should be a direct swap, heat sink and all

(going by the pictures of both cards off of websites, they look identical in all aspects) but if you can get this working

with a 3700m, well then that's a whole new ballgame!

Also, doesn't the 3600m/3700m use the 135w power supply?

Edited by Darris

OK, I thought I'd put in some answers instead of questions.

Firstly, the heatsink for the fx1600 and fx3600 are the same. According to HP's parts list for the 8710w, there was only 1 heatsink offered. Only the processor heatsink was different between the 6mb l2 cache processors and the 4mb l2 cache processors.

The heatsink for the 8730w is more than slightly different from the 8710, which would be where you are having troubles.

check out the differences between the 2 here:

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/resultsCSR.htm?p...27-60EA0BE08084

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/resultsCSR.htm?p...1F-EF20F74F2303

Because they moved the internal ram slot in the 8730 to the underside, it frees up more room for the heatsinks which makes them more efficient as well.

Guest Gues_jjj175

There has to be two different heatsinks for the 8710w. one for 1600m and one for 3600m, the cards are too different and I know from personal experience that the 3600m does not work with the 1600m sink without trimming, and then it does not cool it well at all. I can't find the other part# though

Checkout these pics I made to compare the heatsinks and cards

1600m-card1600m-card.jpg1600m-Sink-4505941600m-Sink-450594.jpg

3700M-card.3700M-card.jpg3700m-Sink-494011-8730w3700m-Sink-494011-8730w.jpg

3700m-ON-1600mSink3700m-ON-1600mSink.jpg I Overlayed the 3700m on the 1600m heatsink and you can see where it needed to be trimmed out to fit.

Obviously it is not the right sink for the 3600m/3700m (the cards look almost identical)

8730Sink8730Sink.jpg1600mSink-450495-0011600mSink-450495-001.jpg

BTW: I do realize the 8710 and 8730 are quite different, I was just taking a stab in the dark and hoping it might work :)

Hope these help.

I made them all the same scale so you can overlay them and see the problem/difference

Maybe someone can figure it out???

Doesn't anyone have an 8710w with the 3600m???

Guest Gueat jjj175

I also did get the 180Watt power supply.

The 3700m does take more power than the 1600m and I had a 120Watt.

I'm sure it is overkill but I KNOW I have enough power now!!! (plus I got it for $23) :)

Guest jjj175

Where did you see the 1600m and 3600m looking the same???

from what I can find the 3600m and 3700m are the same?? and they have a different layout from the 1600m

Maybe you mean the card slot and size, mxm, not the actual board layout, ram, processor,ect on graphics board. yes?

Guest Frank

Does anyone know which heatsink is needed for the FX 3600M in the 8710w ?

Or does the 8730w GPU heatsink fot in the 8710w ?

I've been searching for ages and just can't find the answer. I also have purchased the FX 3600M for my 8710w.

The heatsink in my 8710w has the specific layout for the FX 1600m. Not all PCB chips are coverd by the original heatsink.

Once I installed my FX 3600M in the notebook all went well. Only problem is it get's damn hot. Can't be right.

Hope someone can enlighten me.

" Or does the 8730w GPU heatsink fit in the 8710w ?"

no the 8730w sink does not fit , I have it and tried it.

What is the product number of the heatsink you have on the 3600m now? is it the 1600m 450594-001? like in the picture?

1600mSink-450495-001.jpgIMG_4473sm.jpg

Thanks,

Jamie

Guest Guest

Yeah that's the one. Not gonna take my notebook appart to see if the product code is correct.

I have the 8710p and 8710w and they both have the same heatsink.

I'm very interested in this thread as I have an HP HDX Dragon and have looked into an upgrade to the 3700M.

jj175_* From what I understand you have successfully upgraded your 8710 to the 3700M, but you're having some heat issues and issues with Vista. Have you made any progress with either? Can you get any benchmarks yet?

Thanks

jj175_*

Are you there?

Just curious if you've made progress with the 3700M. Are you running it in safe mode, or in normal operation? Did you get this to work without having to mod the BIOS?

It would be great to have your help/input regarding the HDX Dragon and the 3700M.

Thanks,

MA

Ok I'm back. Yes I still am having the heating issues.

If I cannot find the correct heatsink soon I am considering chopping the 1600m and the 3700m sink from the 8730 and welding them together with the bigger heatpipes.

Hopefully that will solve it.

I know that as soon as I go to all the trouble of doing that someone will come up with the correct part so I am trying to hold off as long as I can.

I am also getting up to into the 90s then crashing while running 3d. unacceptable....

Also I did not have to mod the bios at all. it booted right up in standard mode. initially the powermizer settings in vista were severely restricting the clock speed but I got that all figured out. I am not familiar with the dragon but I would guess you have about a 90% chance of it working. I have yet to hear of anyone trying it and it not working at all. I think as long as you have a card that was designed by hp you should be good to go. Worst case it really wont work just resell the card. the actual install is relatively easy if you have a clue what you are doing. So far the only issues are cooling the more powerfull cards, and making sure your power supply can keep up.

Great that you're back.

Another Dragon owner took a look at the 8710 and the 8730 and concluded that the two have different BIOSes. He said that the 8730 has an Insyde BIOS and that the 8710 has the same BIOS as the HDX Dragon. Do you have any knowledge about this?

If the 8710 and 8730 have different BIOSes it's good news for Dragon owners as the 3700M would not appear to be BIOS dependent. At any rate, it would increase the possibility of it working for the Dragon.

Have you thought about adjusting the fans?

I really appreciate the work you're doing on this!

MobileArtist

I have been asking GPU questions of an HP Tech in Holland for some time now.

I described your overheating problem to him and he sent me the following email. I hope he's not confusing the 8710 issue with my HDX Dragon question. You never know, with the uncertainty of language. Anyway, here it is:

"I've read the link you showed me. To possibly resolve this problem I've found a few part numbers from HP for better cooling fans:

Fan 378233-001

Heat sink (includes thermal paste) 379799-001

I'm not sure if these parts can only be ordered in the EMEA but this might resolve the overheating issue."

I hope this is useful.

MobileArtist

An update:

The HP Tech in Holland confirmed that he was speaking about HP cooling devices (fan and heatsink) that should improve the 8710's dissipation of the 3700M's increased temperatures.

MA

Mobile, that's awsome that you're talking to a tech about this for us. However, the heatsink provided doesn't match the heatsink (both processor and gpu) in the 8710w, unless the tech is talking about cutting/welding the parts together.

I'll order the fan though, to see if it's an upgrade to the one currently in the laptop.

Thanks!!!

If some 8710w did in fact come with the FX3600M from the factory, why can't we get the answer directly from HP CS or tech department?

Are they simply not willing to provide the part #s for the heat sink and/or fan?

If so, why?

I've found a little guide to decrease the idle temperature of the GPU.

The newer Nvidia drivers seem to miss the following reg keys under "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{**nvidia driver id**}\0000\":

PowerMizerEnable 1

PowerMizerLevel 3

PowerMizerLevelAC 3

PerfLevelSrc 3322

My Quadro FX 1600M was 70 degrees idle and I've decreased it to 45 degrees idle. I'm going to order Arctic Cooling MX-2 to replace the original thermal paste. And because I'm going to work a lot with Badaboom and CAD I'll order the FX 3700M from the French guy.

Last but not least: I've also found a guide to undervolt your CPU in Vista x64 with RMClock. You can find the guide here. My T7700 is working now at 2.4GHz with 0.9625V :)

I've found a little guide to decrease the idle temperature of the GPU.

My Quadro FX 1600M was 70 degrees idle and I've decreased it to 45 degrees idle. I'm going to order Arctic Cooling MX-2 to replace the original thermal paste. And because I'm going to work a lot with Badaboom and CAD I'll order the FX 3700M from the French guy.

Last but not least: I've also found a guide to undervolt your CPU in Vista x64 with RMClock. You can find the guide here. My T7700 is working now at 2.4GHz with 0.9625V :)

I so owe you a beer.

Those registry edits worked perfectly for me.(Took a bit of finding in Windows 7) I idle at around 47-48 and I haven't seen anything above 57c tonight!

I'm about to restart and see if that RMClock fix will work in Windows 7 as well. I had the T7800 undervolted to 1.1150v@2.8 ghz in XP.

You are my hero of the day! (maybe even a week!)