LaptopVideo2Go Forums

54Mb connecting to Pre-N Netgear 108Mb Router

sullysnet

Hello, I am new here but I had seen this post on Google about an issue not being able to connect to wireless beyond 54Mb. I have a TP-Link card with an Atheros chipset, Netgear Pre-N Router Max speed 108MB (Airgo chip). No matter what I do I cannot get it to connect any higher than 54Mb but the last Belkin Pre-N pcmcia card (Airgo) was able to connect at 108.

Is this a limitation of the Netgear router and if I buy another router how will know it will be similar to Netgear where certain cards do not connect at it's full speed.

Any help, I would be forever grateful :)

thanks

PS I installed these drivers atheros_v7.7.0.231_v1.24 but it seemed to stop loading pages more than the TP-Link driver. So I am now on the TP-Link driver 200882385620

Edited by sullysnet

SuperG is a WLAN chipset specific protocol, so an Atheros SuperG router may not connect at 108Mbps with a Ralink based WLAN etc

Atheros and the later driver series are having issues with connecting @108Mbps

thanks for the reply. Issue is this router is suppose to not be SuperG and is Pre-N unless it is SuperG and had some features like Mimo Airgo chip. Seems like if

I bought something like the Trednet Draft N router it would connect up to 300Mb since the card is rated at 300Mb Max

thanks

Well it seems that I found some of my answer about this router and Turbo Mode. This is some info about the router,

"The Pre-N Wireless Router uses Airgo True MIMO technology to deliver up to 108 Mbps data rate when used with the Pre-N Wireless PC Card (WGM511)"

So I see nothing about this router supporting 802.11N, it would appear that the only other way for this to do 108Mb would be if it had that Turbo Mode technology.

I still with I could get the card to run at 108Mb while I still have it working. I did not plan on upgrading it till it was needed.

Hopefully there we be a fix at some point.

I read on another board that someone changed their channel to 6 from 11 and was able to connect at 108Mb and the reason that it will not communicate at 108 is the

turbo mode is turned off if it's around other devices that are 802.11G or less (neighbors)

I guess it is worth the try

The Belkin Pre-N cards is an anomoly as they arn't really SuperG.

They were the first of the MIMO routers/cards.

I still have a Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA card from my original Notebook.

Remember it had great range.

Without the matching AirgoNet WLAN adaptor you will not get 108Mbps

Can't really test it as my i9400 as no PCMCIA slot and AirgoNet got gobbled for it's Patents and no Vista drivers were made.

thanks, I tried a few settings but so far nothing. I plan on testing this card against my sisters Draft N Linksys and see what i come up with. Sad part is the Netgear router works well, is fast enough at 108Mb and has nice range. I never had the Netgear card but I had a Belkin PCMCIA card Pre-N Airgo for my Mom and that worked great in her machine and was only okay in this machine. No driver support for Vista and that is why I invested in a new card. I do not like the idea of the card sticking out so I bought the Mini PCI card and connected it to the Dell.

Again if i could only get 108Mb for transferring files over my WAN I would be happy. My other family members do not see the difference.

Here is hoping that Athreos makes a fix for it. What i noticed is that in the inf file it only notes speeds from 11 to 54 and does not go beyond that. I figured that was kind of weird.