LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Please could someone clarify: acer travelmate

Guest nobb1x

Guest nobb1x

Hello, i've read a lot of posts here,but still don't understand i'm in this situation, i have an acer travelmate 5720G, the defaut mxm type 2 card is

an Ati hd 2400 xt, this card is faulty, it produce random dots and ,very often, crashes in the ati driver, this happen always, both with cold machine or hot.

i've got a spare card, on ebay of course, it is a geforce 8600gt 512mb, the seller claim it has an acer bios and i have no clues to say it has not.

Using this card on the 5720 it make the pc beep like no video card, and the screen remain black.windows don't start either.

There are some things i can't understand, the card (both ati and nvidia) seem to not have a bios chip, just components, ram and chip video on it, i've tried to make a blind flash of the latest bios taken from acer site but it didn't produced any effect.

my questions are:

Where the video bios is located on a mxmII laptop??

Is there any possibility to use this card (8600) on my laptop? and if yes how??

if the video bios is located in the main flash, how to replace the ati with a nvidia one if possible? (phoenix bios editor fail to open the rom)

many thanks to whoever will reply.