LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware 185.85

Dox

Dox any comments? coz i tired installing the drivers but i get the driver aint supported hardware thingy...

no they dont, just use newer drivers modded by pieter on this site

If this is possible it would be nice. Is it possible to do? Is there any tweaking easy enough for a the average person to do. I mean, say... a person who can at least tweak a game's ini file should be able to follow some instructions to some of the easier things.

...if there are any easier things.

...I also remember you replying to my mentioning of the XtremeG drivers [post 677] and how there was old stuff in there that isn't really needed. If there was some sort of program to remove this old legacy stuff in the driver, would that help us somewhat mod new drivers ourselves to any noticable effect?

...Lastly. You did hint that you were working on some driver before you moved on. Does it work at all? A half modded driver that is newer could be better than no newer driver at all.

Needless to say, we all really miss you and your fine work.

Happy Holidays.

I was working on 19x.xx driver (cant remember what though) to test new tweaks, there are two new ones not found in 185.85,

Im not sure what they do, all I know is they improved performance slightly.

Havent tested it as much I would, since I dont game at all since I released 185.85.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dox

• thegreatsquare

• zipper

• Exile1975

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest renstory

so, estimately hw long would u finish with the 19X.XX driver? nice job with 185.85~ thanks.. but i have probs with closing the lid, itll flicker 5-6 secs when in speed mode.. im using 9600m gt intel hybrid card

Im not sure what they do, all I know is they improved performance slightly.

:)

lol

I don't know what to say. I'm torn between "So someone else can obviously do it by trial and error and educated guesses if they knew what you were doing." or screaming "What do mean "I'm not sure what they do"?"

[EDIT]: I do feel bad with us essentially pestering you. Then again, maybe you wish there was somebody else we could all annoy too. You made a monster you know. Sure we should all move on, but there is nothing to move on to. Here is 3006 words why:

THIS IS PLAYABLE SETTINGS FOR ME.

2crysiswithdoxdriver.jpg

1crysiswithdoxdriver.jpg

fc2r1.jpg

So eventually the glory that was the Dox Drivers will fade from memory as age makes it less and less compatible or maybe a worthy replacement will come and then you'll find yourself in a more peaceful corner of LV2G Dox.

Edited by thegreatsquare

I dont know what they do simply because the settings are not publically documented,

in the good old days of detonator, the setting were worded i.e D3D_MipMapEnable (or something like that)

now the same setting is : D3D_36759435 with a binary value of 01,91,82,24 for on and 23,17,39,48 for off,

its not simply 1 = on and 0 = off.

Now the other D3D values that I tested simply were as series of numbers and had more than one value associated with it,

so its difficult to know what they do unless you turn them "on"/"off" and and run the game each time,

as I say i did not bother to test what they did, only got as far as they increased performance.

Some of the other settings did not make into 185.85 because certain values for "on" and "off" (or what ever they did),

gave a black screen upon reboot/no noticable effect, I dont know whether it was conflicting with other hacked setting etc,

more testing needed for those, which I havent bothered to do, so it was left to nvidia default settings for those d3d stuff.

185.85 is so fast because the graphics is dumbed down against default nvidia settings for that driver, it not noticable but if you dont know what to look for or what you are looking at you are never going to know!

You can get more performance out of it by settings out of the driver quality filtering to "Performane" in the nvcp or vice versa.

if you wanted tweaked drivers use Notebookforum MobileForce drivers!

I'm not bothered about fading away,

you live you die, thats life :)

oh and I dont believe those crysis settings are playable,

I'm not that gullable :)

I dont know what they do simply because the settings are not publically documented,

in the good old days of detonator, the setting were worded i.e D3D_MipMapEnable (or something like that)

now the same setting is : D3D_36759435 with a binary value of 01,91,82,24 for on and 23,17,39,48 for off,

its not simply 1 = on and 0 = off.

Now the other D3D values that I tested simply were as series of numbers and had more than one value associated with it,

so its difficult to know what they do unless you turn them "on"/"off" and and run the game each time,

as I say i did not bother to test what they did, only got as far as they increased performance.

Some of the other settings did not make into 185.85 because certain values for "on" and "off" (or what ever they did),

gave a black screen upon reboot/no noticable effect, I dont know whether it was conflicting with other hacked setting etc,

more testing needed for those, which I havent bothered to do, so it was left to nvidia default settings for those d3d stuff.

185.85 is so fast because the graphics is dumbed down against default nvidia settings for that driver, it not noticable but if you dont know what to look for or what you are looking at you are never going to know!

You can get more performance out of it by settings out of the driver quality filtering to "Performane" in the nvcp or vice versa.

I'm not bothered about fading away,

you live you die, thats life :)

1: All of that about tweaking was Greek to me except the nvcp part.

2: Thanks for the link to the drivers. I'll check them out when the time comes.

3: I get 19-25FPS with those settings on the Crysis Demo. Not smooth, but not too bad either and most certainly playable I promise you. Take AA off and it is almost completely smooth. Considering that it is the demo and not the patched game that's pretty good. And as for FC2, the game is smoother than the benchmark and I use the same settings. Stock drivers are unplayable at same settings. Worse than how Crysis runs with those settings I posted.

4: Also, about the nvcp: I found that setting the Max Pre-Rendered Frames to 4 or 5 helps your drivers a lot more than normal drivers. Keeps the minimum FPS up more.

PS: You should bold that driver source so it catches more eyes.

Edited by thegreatsquare

I should of bet you a new pair of drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8OnGsgfW1I

Description:

Even Dox doubted me that I could run playable on these settings. So I had to prove it.

This is my first video so there is certainly some trial and error with the errors including the problems reading the text. I listed them below along with the specs of the laptop. I don't know how much better the graphics are going to get, but you were able to see the settings and they looked pretty good. But this test was for if the framerate is playable. ..

Does it look playable?

EDIT: The reason it is a bit "jerky" in spots is because I use a trackball mouse and it is taking 3-4 swipes at it to turn. I'll adjust the mouse sensitivity and make another video if necessary [if anyone whose opinion I care about wants to call me out on it]. But the game is playable and the game is as smooth as it was walking down the path before the firefight.

This is the Crysis DEMO on a Gateway 7805u [P8400 2.26/9800m GTS 1GB OC'd 680/1700/949]

Settings:

Resolution: 1440x900.

Anti-Aliasing: 2x

Texture Quality: Medium

Object Quality: Very High

Shadow Quality: High

Physics Quality: Very High

Shader Quality: High

Volumetric Effects Quality: Very High

Game Effects Quality: High

Post Processing Quality: High

Particles Quality: High

Water Quality: Very High

Sound Quality: High

Edited by thegreatsquare

crysis is smooth even at around 15 - 20 fps,

should've of run a fraps to show fps :)

I dont know what the game will be like in more intense situations further into the game,

but yeah if you deem it playable then its playable.

cheers.

edit:

a word on nvidia's max pre render frames found in the cp -hopefully this will clear things out for everyone:

In a nutshell:

higher values can cause better performance at cost of input lag (max, keyboard, gamepads etc)

lower values causes less input lag but lower performance.

My recomendation:

set it at 2 for single gpu systems

leave at 3 or maybe try 4 at most for sli systems.

For those who want a deeper understanding-

Here is how it works (ony for directx!):

With Direct X in the ideal world the cpu and gpu would be in sync (sometimes gpu is waiting for cpu and vice versa)

The gpu can't get ahead of the cpu since the cpu is giving the gpu the commands.

Usually the gpu is given so much work to do that the cpu can be giving rendering commands faster than the gpu can complete. You can put a buffer in there to smooth things out, however there will come a point that the cpu will have commands queing up waiting to go as soon as the gpu can get them out the door.

The problem is if you keep letting this happen then, the cpu has got rendering commands that wont be displayed for seconds or even longer. So say you moved your mouse about a bit, it moves 2 seconds later = not good in games.

Luckily directx has a solution in that it limits queing to 2 frames ahead, which is a good balance between performance and input lag.

Now Nvidia with the driver has a "hack" in the guise of max render frames at default of 3 for higher performance and its good enough for sli systems - its a one size fits all setting with theoretical higher performance. Obviously this hack raises the queing from 2 to 3.

With slower cpu and faster gpu, in cpu intesive task/scene the gpu will be waiting for the cpu, so having a max render frame higher than 2/3 is vain. And it is generally recommended that you have a fast cpu for sli systems to feed the frames to the gpu especially for the sli rendering technique of alternate render frames.

Hope all this makes sense.

This view concerning the appropriate settings for Max Pre-rendered frames [MPF] is interesting and I need to test it with real games. I've always though that raising the setting helped minimum FPS. I'm of the opinion that Max FPS can take care of itself, it is the dips in FPS that make gameplay choppy. So if you are borderline in the FPS department in a game, then raising MPF can help. At least that is what think at the moment.

Maybe I'll run some benches of Vantage and FarCry2 at work tonight and see what comes of it.

I surely didn't expect this result. There is basically no difference. If I was to guess a reason why, it would be due to the fact that permitting the CPU to pre-render a higher number of frames doesn't mean it can or will actually do so. That said, I think that I'm going to set it to 8 from now on. There doesn't seem to be any big downside or upside to doing so. I figure at worst it will do nothing and at best your average FPS my bump up a .5 sec and the highs may bump up 0.5-1.5sec under optimum conditions where the CPU can actually get a few frames ahead.

...your mileage may vary.

Vantage 1280x1024 2 pre-rendered frames VS. 4:

TWO

vantageon2pr.jpg

FOUR

vantageon4pr.jpg

FarCry 2 1280x800 (Note: 1920x1200 had the same results)

TWO

fc22pr1280x800.jpg

FOUR

fc24pr1280x800.jpg

EIGHT

fc28pr1280x800.jpg

Resident Evil 5 Benchmark 1280x800, Variable Benchmark:

TWO

re5dx102pr.png

FOUR

re5dx104pr.png

Guest Benjamin Wassink

Found the problem!! Gpu-z 0.3.8 is messing it up! After closing Gpu-z it keeps running high and you need to reboot to get it back in 2d.

Driver 185.20 is working good with Gpu-z 0.3.8 the higher drivers from dox not, at least not for me. Gpu-z 0.3.6 is working good with the 185.85 driver! :) So i,am very happy!! :)

On my laptop this driver can't not install

please help me, how i can optimal my driver video card, my video card is NVIDIA G210 M

Ur killing me dox... 185.85 Outdated, 195.62 running @ 105C, hot..(9800m GTS)

I don't think I'll need new drivers until Bioshock 2, but you're welcome to be the guinea pig. LINK

EDIT: Tell us errr.... me, tell me how you do.

Edited by thegreatsquare

Guest hellfiretheking@yahoo.com

Dox, u r drivers gave my g105m a new life and....is..there any way u could tell us wht to edit in the inf to get max performance outta it?becoz i really dont care much about image quality.Merry Christmas!!

Hi Dox.

Which driver of your's was the last one with Desktop support and is it still available? nvm.

Have a Happy New Year!!

T H E LTV2G N E W Y E A R S E V E P A R T Y

:P :P :) :unsure:

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

:P :) :w00t:

Edited by thegreatsquare

Guest Scripty

Dox,

First of all i'd like to thank you for your efforts for this driver. I'm using the latest 185.85 driver on my Sony Vaio VGN-S460 Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Most of the time the display is fine but sometime when i open multiple browser windows it suddenly freezes and then windows gives a message that there was an issue with the display driver. then i have to restart the laptop in order to use it again. did you or anybody else encounter this issue and how do i fix this. many thanks

Guest pfeiffchen

since (sadly) dox doesnt make any new drivers, which driver do u recommend instead? are there any faster drivers out now? (the official ones from nvidia homepage? or other on this board?) i got a dell laptop with a 8600m gt...

For me Dox's driver is the fastest. I've tested official drivers from nvidia series 19x.xx, and moded from mobileforce, but Dox's outperformed them :) Esspecialy in 3DMark, in games performance was +2-3 fps better (and i;ve got more stable frames in action), but in Dragon Age Dox's performance was about -4fps worse than 19x.xx. (who cares about this game :))

Edited by mando

Guest numazz

hi guys,has anyone encountered this problem in games (modern warfare 2,bf vietnam,dao-origins,...) when i lower the resolution,2 black striped appear on the side of the screen,and it looks like i'm playing in a box lol,basically it won't stretch.

any help please,i'm using win 7 x64 and dox's 185.85 driver. thx in advance.

NVIDIA Control Panel -> Display -> Change flat panel scaling