LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alps Touch Pad Driver (newest version)

Ed Fenton

The keyboard goes crazy in MSWord and OutlookExpress.

I understand the conflict between my MS Mouse and factory-installed Alps Touchpad that came with the Dell Inspiron 9300 (XP Pro). I have uninstalled Alps Touch Pad but on each reboot, system detects presence of Alps Touch Pad hardware and asks me to reinstall it with driver they call "Apoint.exe".

Am therefore looking to re-install Touch Pad. I understand that the later drivers enable you to disable the Touch Pad when there's a mouse installed.

Would very much appreciate being pointed to the correct version; there are so many listed that I'm not sure of the correct one. Thanks.

Ed Fenton

<edfenton@verizon.net>

Guest Tiburon666

I don't know which version of the Alps driver you're using or what OS you're running since it's not stated it in your post. Regardless, most of the newer Dell Alps drivers have a function to disable the touchpad when another USB pointing device is present, check the box to enable this feature. On the newer drivers it can be enabled via the "Device Select / Button Settings" page of the driver.

The most recent driver I use is version 7.2.101.219, A06 which can be downloaded here. Although Dell doesn't list this one as supporting XP don't worry, it does with no problems.

There is one newer driver listed on Dell's website version 7.4.102.102, A02 which can be found here. However, I advise against using this driver as Dell for some unknown stupid reason has chosen to not include "circular scrolling" or "zoom" anymore, which makes this one not as usable as before.

In the future if you want to check for further updates or to check out different versions of Dell's touchpad drivers try this search of Dell's website.

I hope this helps.

Ciao

• 5 months later...

Windows 7 Update:

Toshiba

The latest drivers I've found are available on Toshiba's website. Go to support.toshiba.com and select "Latest Drivers..." and then "Touchpad" from the drop-down menu. This will provide you with the following version:

10/1/2009

I am successfully using this version on a Dell Precision M4400 (3-button pointing stick plus 3-button trackpad) and a Toshiba Tecra M7. (two-button trackpad) This is practically a pure ALPS installer, since I think it was rushed out the door to fix a lack-of-responsivity bug in Windows 7 for Toshiba laptops. Tosh outfits an especially high proportion of its laptops with ALPS trackpads, I'd imagine, because both companies are Japanese.

Please note that this version does not have frozen cursor animations. Unfortunately, while maintaining the same installer mechanism as Synaptics trackpads, ALPS trackpads do not support multi-touch, and generally have fewer features than Synaptics trackpads.

That said, to optimize my experience, I set the middle button on the pointing-stick to Auto-scroll, meaning that tapping it once puts it in scrolling mode, which is nice for Firefox, which otherwise requires you to hold down the middle button to scroll.

I also increased the sensitivity, (there are no sliders for reducing palm-checking sensitivity) and increased the speed relative to the Windows default, which I keep at 50%. This seems to be ideal for external mice, although for my Logitech mice, I do use SetPoint and don't have SetPoint set to override the Windows Mouse settings.

Dell

That said, if you want an official Dell driver, which might be ideal since the ALPS driver described above sometimes renders the trackpad unresponsive after resuming from Standby, you'll have to deal with their pretty, but rather more limited (in some senses) GUI. The latest version is A11, available on the Precision M4400 Windows 7 64-bit download page:

7/29/2009

The Dell GUI supports zoom along the left side of the trackpad and circular scrolling. I don't know if these features can be enabled in the ALPS GUI via the registry. I do know that I was unable to disable the Dell GUI via the registry, despite being apple to change the "UseCustomGUI" settings. I also know that both these drivers support Firefox out of the box, which did not use to be the case: such support used to require changing the application name from "Firefox" to "Netscape". The Dell driver set allows setting "acceleration" for the pointing stick and "speed" for the trackpad. I don't know what exactly these names correspond to. Do note that Dell still has not fixed the animated cursor bug. (ugh...)

Guest Matthew

After unsuccessfully soliciting Dell for an Alps driver for my Latitude D620 compatible with Windows 7 64bit I followed Nigh Talon's instructions, downloaded the driver from Toshiba's website, and my Alps touchpad is now fully functional again. Thanks for the post!!