LaptopVideo2Go Forums

no wireless connection with Atheros AR5B91

erbmit

Hi, i have an Acer Aspire 7530G here, wich came with vista home preinstalled but it worked very slow and s***ty, so i downgraded to winxp pro sp3,

but when now the wireless connection never works anymore.

Assuming this notebook has an atheros wlan adapter, i installed the Atheros driver version 7.7.0.259, dated 13/03/2009, but no go.. cant find network in range.

The adapter should be an Atheros AR5B91

Any tips ?

Edited by erbmit

You have a Acer and there is a very good chance on your original system it came with an Acer App that controlled the Wireless radio on/off (you may also have a HW switch)

You have to have this app for the wireless to work, it's build into the OEM ACER version of Vista and also XP.

Without it you will probably experience what you have now.

This is a stupid way to control the Wireless, as it means you are stuck with the OS that comes with the system.

Only hope might be to find an Acer OEM XP version.

I take it the drivers install OK and you just have no WIFI ?

Hi, thx for the tip !

Yes exactly, the XP driver for the wireless lan adapter installs perfect, no errors, nothing, it appears as a normal functioning adapter, but only it

refuses to detect any wifi networks.

seems there is no physical switch on the laptop to turn wifi on/off

So i have to find an acer oem xp version...or maybe the standalone app to switch wifi on/off ?

Edited by erbmit

Yip, my Mother's Notebook has the same issue when m Father went to XP from Vista (how I found out)

It's a known issue, let google be your friend here.