LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Inspiron 9400/e1705

2Cheap4WoW

If need be use Nibitor to open the .bin file, and then save it again as a .rom... But im sure it does read .bin

I'd be very interested in that T7600 of yours :-)

So if you don't need it anymore, you might have abuyer if the price is right.

Could you please tell me, where can one get the bluray drive?

Well I haven't found anything to replace it with... Need to find a T7600G, or build a better laptop lol!

I got mine from ebay, I bought a UJ-220, which was from an XPS M1730, although the front facia is curved, not flat... But you can buy the facias for £5! So wasn't worried about that. Cost me £115... But I love it, love BD's!

Just keep an eye out for bargains, but not really from america yet, keep waiting on that exhange rate.

OK, thank you very much :-)

Could you please tell me, how much your T7600 did cost?

I've got a T7200 and am still undecided whether an upgrade would justify the cost...

I went from a 1.86 (or 1.83...) to a 2.0, then 2.0 up to the 2.33... The 2.0 (bought a year or so ago) cost me £120 I think, and the T7600 cost me £160 odd, im pretty sure it wasn't much more than that, wouldn't have been in the 200's else I wouldn't have got it.

I saw a T7600G on ebay in germany for £440! Which I think is a tad of a rip off!

You can get a T7600G here for about 436...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Intel-Core-2-Duo-T7600G...93%3A1|294%3A50

But I think it's still a bit high ^^

Did you notice any difference between the 2,00 GHZ and the 2,33 GHZ ?

And if so, how big a difference are we talking about?

Still too much really, all that for an unlcoked chip.. Not really worth it in my opinion. Ive been looking at tryint to take the BIOS apart to change it so that it thinks the t7600 is a t7600G, but it's too much like hard work really!

Erm, depends what you're doing, average every day stuff, no, as there are other bottle necks, hard drive response etc, but compressing files yes, unzipping files yes, and games yes... Depends what you use it for really. Faster the cpu, faster it can send info from the hdd to the GPU.. Do you have a 7200RPM drive? As that helps a lot, my 9400 came with a 5400rpm.

Well, I do lots of stuff with my PC.

Mostly watching movies and playing games.

I've got a 7200 drive and the speed improvement was not that big...

Hmmm, the vista rating loves a 7200 drive lol, well if you find the 2.0 good for games and stuff, dont bother changing it.. not really much point

The problem is that my PC doesn't perfrom as good as I'd like it to.

Therefore, my question is, is there a really noticable improvement in games?

Like a 20% increased FPS.

I mostly play Ego shooters (like Crysis and UT3).

Does the T7600 make a huge difference here?

Your best bet would be to look at benchmarks, I aint played Crysis since my t7200, same for UT3... Ive just been bashing it out on Oblivion really...

Thanks for all the help so far!

What software do you use to overclock? I can't flash too many times because I don't have many blank cd's so I thought I might flash it to inlock frequencies then play around a bit :) Do people use Rivatuner or NVTune?

Use rewritable cds, or make a cd with lots of roms on it which you have made??

Hi,

Instead of burning CD-Rs or CD-RWs you could use an USB drive.

Put a DOS system on it, make it bootable and voila, you can test as many variations as you want :-)

At least that's how I do it.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. There is a serious risk of you breaking your card at this point. I will try to answer all the questions I saw but if I missed one just repeat it and I will get to it.

Answers in next post.

If you were to flash a GTX BIOS to your card then you are OC'ing since the frequencies of the GTX Rom are higher than the GS rom.

The roms in Juanlu's archives include the rev1 GS, but not the rev1 GTX.

The rev0 GS can be flashed with the rev0 GTX and the rev1 GS can be flashed with the rev1 GTX. Flashing rev0 to rev1 or rev1 to rev0 will result in a non-functioning GPU. It may be possible to blind flash it back but there are no guarantees. My thread has the rev1 GTX in it as well as some rom's that are more compatible (unlocked for more drivers). I cannot do any more research on unlocking anytime soon so for now, what I have posted will have to do.

You are right that flashing the a GS BIOS with "optimized" memory timings and voltage increase would not increase performance significantly. This is because these changes are geared toward you software OC'ing. These mods are to allow you to OC further, thats it.

To check the revision of your card, I never recommend looking at any physical markings on it. Instead, determine its device id. If I didn't post the rev0 GS and rev1 GS device id's in my thread then just tell me and I will post them up for you to check yours against.

For software OC'ing, ATITool has always been the tool I use. Unless you have a card that uses four performance levels (you don't), it is all you really need. Other OC'ing tools include nTune(?), nvidia system tools(?), and RivaTuner. RivaTuner lets you do a few more advanced modifications but ATITool has the simplest interface. Oh and yes, ATITool works for nvidia cards.

Personally though, I always prefer using software OC'ing to find the max frequencies and then hardware OC'ing by flashing these max frequencies to the card. You can mix and match the methods however as you might want to bump your frequencies up to 500/500 (just for example) but you also want to have the card unlocked. This would be mixing both methods.

Sorry I have a headache now so I guess its not gonna be easy to understand me. Any questions you want answered just post them here and I will answer them. Read my thread first though for a little background.

Upgrading the T7200 to the T7600 will result in a performance increase but the price likely will not be worth it.

There is a user selling a complete M1710 with a T7600G and 7950GTX for $800 or $900 I think. Buying that and selling your old laptop would be the best course to get the T7600G at this point.

Very useful information, shame I didn't know there were 2 revs for the GTX when I flashed mine a while back really...

I see you have a to-do list for i8k, what are you planning on updating/doing with it?

As for the complete m1710, that would also upgrade the gpu, which would be nice, a very tempting offer that one... Something I may need to look into, either that or buy a new laptop!

One other thing, can you link your thread in here please?

Thank you

My thread is titled Dell Mobile GPU ROMs and its a stickied thread in this section.

As for i8k, I really don't know about that one anymore. It just plain isn't that interesting to me. I was originally planning on updating its functionality in Linux. The CPU temperature is the only temperature that can control fan speeds in Linux and I think at least the GPU should be added to that list. If it was successful then I suppose I would try to update the backend of i8k in windows for newer machines (if I got my hands on one).

Right now, I am editing some parts of nvclock for myself and I plan on releasing a rom editor once I get back to my apartment. The Rom editor is pretty simple and should only take about a week. After that its more nvclock stuff as there are some problems with it and the 7 series.

Unfortunately, my primary interest is fixing my 7950 GTX which I just busted testing some new functionalities. Unless I can fix it, there will be no more 7 (or 6) series mods on my part. However, I have an M6300 with an 8 series quadro though so I am not completely out of the mix.

Edit: Once I get my rom editor up it will be easy enough to do a batch run and change all the *Z.rom files to have 125 core in 2D to prevent corruption. Personally, I have never had this problem with either my 7950 GTX or a 7900 GTX (both @ WUXGA 1920 by 1200). I think its only a problem with the GS?

Thanks for that!

I figured that the best way to learn this is by flashing it to the 7900 GS BIOS (rev 0) with the unlcoked frequencies, optimised memory and the same voltages.

I did this and I've been trying to overclock using things like atitool, rivatuner and nvidia system tools.

Funny thing is, as soon as a increase my frequencies (core I think), my screen goes insane! I mean, just increasing it by 1 mhz. It starts flashing with so many artifacts and I get the BSOD. My screen spilts up into boxes of smaller screens (16 or 25 I think) like some sort of 80's video clip and each one of these has a BSOD on it. It was so cool that I didn't know whether to panic or start dancing :)

Luckily I didn't go for the GTX BIOS.

I've noticed that the video driver makes a big difference in overclocking. I've noticed that even with my "unlocked frequency" BIOS, only some of my older drivers can change frequencies.

I've switched back to Dox's 182.05 drivers and it seems to be good in games especially Oblivion. I might have to give overclocking a miss, thanks for all the help here!